yorkshire pubbing?

My apples are almost ready. Think I'm gonna try cinnamon apples for the first time. Thought about doing it today.
The recipe would be good, TN.
Idk what it is yet. I'm just gonna wing it. I'm guessing I just need to cook the apples down and add some butter cinnamon and brown sugar. I want them gooey for the crapes.

damn henry would sharing that great recipe kill ya?

o now for that you got to have a hot skillet butter and sugar

and cinnamon lol

Cinnamon? What are you making, breakfast?

OK, since you asked...

Wear substantial trousers or a very heavy, very long apron. This is not a joke. DO NOT wear shorts or similar! If you are not then proceed only after praying that you don't splash anything as you carry on.

First, start pre-heating the oven a lot sooner than you'd think necessary. This seems to be key to having things come out right. Only reason I can think of is that these days we don't have ovens with brick liners than can be heated all the way through. The enameled steel walls don't hold heat well and even the few seconds popping the pudding pan in cools them just enough to keep things from being as they ought. Preheat to 450 Degrees F. If your oven won't go that high, give it up as you cannot succeed.

Two more pre-prep steps:

Fill a proper kettle about 3/4 with tap water - bring to a vigorous boil.

You need enough muffin tin capacity for about 12 Yorkshire Puddings. Best are old, very heavy metal tins. Heavier the better. Put tin(s) on a surface which won't be damaged by heat or spillage and fill to the brim with boiling water - let stand.

Pre-fry 1 or two "breakfast sausage" -(as in "stuff you need" list below) thoroughly. Drain and chop into fine bits.

Stuff you need:

1 or 2 "breakfast sausage" as in pre-fry step above.
4 heaping tablespoons whole-grain flour. Stone ground if you can get it.
2 large eggs that have been unrefrigerated at least over night. Beat well
Small pinch salt
Small pinch white pepper, fine
About 10 Ounces of WHOLE milk (this is NOT about "good-for-you")
Melted Lard, enough to melt down to put a tablespoon into each cup of the muffin tin(s). If you must, butter but no pussyfooting around with vegetable oil (this is NOT about "good-for-you") for the tin

In a large (warm is good) ceramic bowl - no stainless steel or aluminum, please, sift together the salt, pepper and flour, Hold the sifter well above the bowl and be vigorous - you want to trap in lots of air.

Add the beaten eggs slowly, whisking with a fork, then whisk in the milk slowly - s l o w l y - and keep at it gently until the mixture has the consistency of fresh cream with NO lumps. Stir in the sausage bits. Then set it aside in a warmish place.

Pour the water out of the muffin tin cups and carefully, thoroughly, dry the pans quickly so as not to lose heat.

Put a tablespoon of lard into each dry cup of the tin(s) and pop into the oven for a very few minutes, no more than 5, and watch for the start of smoking.

Check to be sure you are wearing those trousers or apron I warned you about! If you are not then you are gonna get burned so don't say I didn't warn you.

When you see the first smoke pull out the shelf with the tins on it - don't remove from the rack.

While occasionally stirring (to keep the sausage bits distributed, quickly pour batter into each of the cups. You should get a strong "sizzle" and see the batter bubbling and boiling in the fat. If it doesn't then you have a choice: Either dump the whole mess and start over or resign yourself to tough, doughy almost-puddings.

If the pudding gods are with you then get the tins back in the oven quickly so as not to lose any of the heat.

DO NOT open the oven. If you do your puddings will fall and become suitable only for patching the kids wading pool.

If you are using cupcake-size tins you'll be ready to take the puddings out after 15 minutes If you're using oversize tins it can take 30 minutes. This is a nice time to have an oven with a window in the door and a light inside. You're looking for a high rise and a nice light brown colour. Expect a 2-3 inch "rise" in each pudding.

Serve immediately. In Yorkshire puddings are served before the main course and it's up the diner to decide whether to eat them at their best or let them get cold and soggy along with the main course.

There is no requirement that you suffer fools gladly but civility dictates you bite - or at least hold - your tongue.

Rember, you DID ask.....

Last edited:
Well I just tried a small batch. The taste was excellent but I overcooked the apples. Texture threw the whole thing off.
However, when I was stirring them up, they were so done, it made the glaze more like applesauce and I loved it.
Think I'm going to blend the rest of this batch down into apple sauce and add it to another batch for dessert.

In the Yorkshire Pudding recipe above I originally left out the important step of pouring the water off the muffin tins and drying them before adding the melted lard. If you copied the recipe PLEASE go back and copy it again with the caution to remove thew water and ry the tins. If you don't, you WILL be injured.....

My apples are almost ready. Think I'm gonna try cinnamon apples for the first time. Thought about doing it today.
The recipe would be good, TN.
Idk what it is yet. I'm just gonna wing it. I'm guessing I just need to cook the apples down and add some butter cinnamon and brown sugar. I want them gooey for the crapes.
You can use cinnamon hots candies too for a switch up sometimes. They make a good basting liquid for baked apples anyway.

naw making it in my kitchen.....i am going to try again...i did preheat the oven to 450....i think i need hotter oil or a different oil...

That pub is hot in the summer since it is open air in the back and up on the roof. So it is not a great destination for summertime.

I probably won't go back there until winter when the snows start again.

Then it's really cool and nice.

It is also a poker parlor with games played on Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays. There are 200 players, and 4 of us get to go to Las Vegas for the WSOP. 4 out of 200 is the top 2%.

St. Patrick's day there is also a great party as well.

VDzOnvEfgQymi4aMzbO_3dcsS0b2mzMnxWSeX5lmgStKKT4hYxrs848bxlw0wnRQgFyyN-WdF0S_31uBXBO2j3jM7GG2xkxc1cLcfKF2IXpRFNcXDTb5MV3zPt4A2hkrk0jPZFSplzfKchgpXfpNJ4bcohzURvqepg1Ib3FcQO5Abkg1ZAYbeXjb0QOKPY9ee7LhDfObOe2I1C9T_4oUJBb3HihhCBzEYoY0huKCx5exRQ4rPqim9nCtNDXN_2qAxvSnrGRCe7wZ-AzRbImJ_yJPn4QBr6jpK7eov-82KISdp3qSvq-m4GANZLU3w0T4wBFRQ5LPtFymRx75eEUQ--7EbPn_s3Nn196qjcV9lSKKosJ1UJ4jOSvtZ1bilIaeaQ2MPUoNwoELuwKE2tF-9u_iqUt7eO6JTyN9NPGjUrxvVRAgAYG5rnSxB_cBH1UX8vrtX7UPcuQ8-e5Q38tFlDV7IXCIda8L7VTD2282TyYTN5y46oPQ7Bx-p1eeB8rrk1uOXWt-RVooY_9Y7Vuf-DyN5L2s8TWae_xcJM7mOG52IdvgRrwclYEZ-HhC31xXtq6gvQ2f5kdzZTd_vXoInccU9jC_KKCWZNp63P6flct7Y_OunwTi=w443-h590-no

My second batch of fried apples came out good. If anyone cares :dunno:

i always use granny smiths and a hot skillet...butter...apples...sprinkle sugar and cinnamon add more butter.....no more than 3 or 4 minutes

have with biscuits

naw making it in my kitchen.....i am going to try again...i did preheat the oven to 450....i think i need hotter oil or a different oil...

I've never made a dessert Yorkshire but when making it with roast beef, I put the beef drippings in the baking dish and the put it in the oven until the fat starts to bubble, then pull it out and pour the batter into the hot dish.

I also chill the batter for a couple of hours before baking it, and whip it again briefly with a fork before pouring it into the hot dish.

Since you're not in the competition taste matters more than air pockets.

Forum List

Back