~Yorkie Died~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
Seriously here...my son and his family had a Yorkie.
She was an inside the house puppy, about 5 months old......they also have 2 hound dogs that stay outside 24/7 and they have a pitbull that stays in mostly but goes out for potty and other activity.
The Yorkie started acting funny the day before yesterday and late yesterday afternoon, when I stopped over there, the little dog was acting odd. They said she wasn't eating well, and she had diarrhea and they also said they noticed blood and worms in her stool.
Late last night, about 9 p.m.......the dog was taken to an emergency animal clinic, the charge for an outside office call that late was $100....but the puppy was taken in, and tested for parvo at first.....it came back negative.
Then the fecal test was done and the vet said the puppy was ate up with hookworms!
But I don't understand......they had taken the little thing to a vet properly, it had it's shots and exams.
I guess the vet last night said the puppy could be given some medicine, but it was no assurance the dog would live. They chose to go ahead with the medicine, and the little thing died anyway.
So....I have 2 heart-broken grandchildren.....and I haven't had a chance to talk to my son and his girlfriend today to find out exactly what all the vet said, but how on earth does a puppy get hookworms when they have been wormed properly??
I tried to cram in some hookworm research today, and I found out hookworms happen mostly in puppies and they can get the hookworms thru their Mother's milk while nursing. And I read some things about the hookworm larvae being in the soil outside and other dogs getting into that (??)
Anyone know anything more they can add here??
I know some of you know a lot more about animals than I do......just trying to get a little insight here.
I know it's too late now, and the vet did tell my son that they needed to get the other dogs tested too........but I guess I am surprised about this. I knew hookworms and roundworms and all that does live in cats and/or dogs......but jeepers, I thought that's why the shots were given.
So.....Dixie.....(that was the little pup's name).....was buried late last night.
They got her when she was about 8 weeks.....so they haven't had her long.
But it cost my son over $200 last night to rush the doggie to the vet, only to come back home with a little dead animal :(
Ah cripes......I feel sad now....more sad than I did. And it wasn't even my dog~

I'm so sorry your family's Yorkie died. Some doggies just draw the short straw, Dabs. I'm sorry your family's puppy seems to have done just that, even when they did all they humanly could by taking the animal regularly to the veterinarian's.

Last edited:
That is so sad. I'm sorry for their loss. Yorkies are such beautiful little animals.

She was an inside the house puppy, about 5 months old......they also have 2 hound dogs that stay outside 24/7 and they have a pitbull that stays in mostly but goes out for potty and other activity.
The Yorkie started acting funny the day before yesterday and late yesterday afternoon, when I stopped over there, the little dog was acting odd. They said she wasn't eating well, and she had diarrhea and they also said they noticed blood and worms in her stool.
Late last night, about 9 p.m.......the dog was taken to an emergency animal clinic, the charge for an outside office call that late was $100....but the puppy was taken in, and tested for parvo at first.....it came back negative.
Then the fecal test was done and the vet said the puppy was ate up with hookworms!
But I don't understand......they had taken the little thing to a vet properly, it had it's shots and exams.
I guess the vet last night said the puppy could be given some medicine, but it was no assurance the dog would live. They chose to go ahead with the medicine, and the little thing died anyway.
So....I have 2 heart-broken grandchildren.....and I haven't had a chance to talk to my son and his girlfriend today to find out exactly what all the vet said, but how on earth does a puppy get hookworms when they have been wormed properly??
I tried to cram in some hookworm research today, and I found out hookworms happen mostly in puppies and they can get the hookworms thru their Mother's milk while nursing. And I read some things about the hookworm larvae being in the soil outside and other dogs getting into that (??)
I know some of you know a lot more about animals than I do......just trying to get a little insight here.
I know it's too late now, and the vet did tell my son that they needed to get the other dogs tested too........but I guess I am surprised about this. I knew hookworms and roundworms and all that does live in cats and/or dogs......but jeepers, I thought that's why the shots were given.
So.....Dixie.....(that was the little pup's name).....was buried late last night.
But it cost my son over $200 last night to rush the doggie to the vet, only to come back home with a little dead animal :(
Ah cripes......I feel sad now....more sad than I did. And it wasn't even my dog~

Oh dabs, I was just coming in to post to try to find someone who knew blueticks or redbones and I saw this post of yours.

Hookworms especially in a small dog are lethal. Now I'm not sure if you remember but I am the catahoula breeder so my pups out of the shoot are bigger than a full grown yorkie.

What a sad day. When fecal tests are taken at the vet originally, hookworms should have been in that test and treated.

When I flew up JimDandy from Pontchatoula,I knew I was gonna be in a world of financial hurt over worms (serious working kennel and outside pup life but I knew what I was getting into) Aye carumba.

Let me just say here and now I was off of pasta for almost two years after Jim Dandy's deworming schedule.

I'll get you more on hooks but do me one big favor. Make sure all other purchasers of yorkies from this breeder are alerted.

Not blaming the breeder. Crap happens. I'll lay this more at the vet who didn't catch this in the first tests till you give me more data.

What a sad day for you and your family. Hang in there.

yours,

td

That is so sad. I'm sorry for their loss. Yorkies are such beautiful little animals.

I love the killer smidges, the terriers. Lord, before I die I really want one called Glen Of Immal. I know I'll never get one although if I win a lottery I'll try. I hunt so pocket pups aren't for me now, but I admire them with all my heart.

Always have. My dad bought a boston in 62 for $250. Cinnamon Saints Ben Beau. What a freind to me and then when I left home to my parents, he lived to 16.

Terriers are just awesome.

ETA : when I came back in to post to Dabs I realized in this day and age most wouldn't understand my comment about $250. in 1962. So let's round this out. You could buy a Chev Impala for $250. in '62. But my dad bought the Boston.:lol:

My mom got a mink the next year.:eusa_angel: for my dad's move on benny.

Last edited:

Oh dabs, I was just coming in to post to try to find someone who knew blueticks or redbones and I saw this post of yours.

Hookworms especially in a small dog are lethal. Now I'm not sure if you remember but I am the catahoula breeder so my pups out of the shoot are bigger than a full grown yorkie.

What a sad day. When fecal tests are taken at the vet originally, hookworms should have been in that test and treated.

When I flew up JimDandy from Pontchatoula,I knew I was gonna be in a world of financial hurt over worms (serious working kennel and outside pup life but I knew what I was getting into) Aye carumba.

Let me just say here and now I was off of pasta for almost two years after Jim Dandy's deworming schedule.

I'll get you more on hooks but do me one big favor. Make sure all other purchasers of yorkies from this breeder are alerted.

Not blaming the breeder. Crap happens. I'll lay this more at the vet who didn't catch this in the first tests till you give me more data.

yours,

td

Thanks TD!
And for an update......upon further investigating, it was found to be the breeder did not properly treat her Yorkies, the Mother of this particular Yorkie, was in bad health.

yours,

td

Thanks TD!
And for an update......upon further investigating, it was found to be the breeder did not properly treat her Yorkies, the Mother of this particular Yorkie, was in bad health.

Thanks for the update Dabs. Truly strange for a beautiful pocket pup like a yorkie to have hook.

My life has been all about hunting dogs in the past years and no full cry breeder on the planet worth their while can guarantee you worm free, because mom's been treeing or hogging up to the last minute, lol, with the rest of the pack.

But when you said hook in a yorkie all sorts of flags went off in my head. I've busted more than one puppy mill in my time and seen enough horrors to last me a lifetime. Not saying the breeder is a mill, but I've seen even well meaning people be just so daft pumping out pups.

Maybe the local vets really should add hook to their worm tests on a regular basis though. What a sad death for the baby and your kids did everything right for the little soul.

I tell you, when I went thru losing Dusty and Bad Ass this spring, I thought I was permanently going to lose it. I had more than one night out in the woods screaming at the moon.

So just know from these winter wastelands a prayer is coming your way for you and your family. Hope healing comes quick and in the form of puppy breath.

So sorry to hear about you little puppy.

I would take the breeder you bought it from to task.

Yes, my son's vet was very upset by this, and is now wondering how many other poor puppies have died from the carelessness of this breeder. It was the vet who did the checking into the breeder's background and notified my son. And from what I understand, that person isn't allowed to breed anything more until investigations are done.
Everyone knows, pure bred puppies aren't free, nor cheap!
They paid a pretty penny for their Yorkie.....and then more pretty pennies to take care of her....and then in the end, a bunch more was paid out to try and save the little thing, only to have it die anyway.

Yes, my son's vet was very upset by this, and is now wondering how many other poor puppies have died from the carelessness of this breeder. It was the vet who did the checking into the breeder's background and notified my son. And from what I understand, that person isn't allowed to breed anything more until investigations are done.
They paid a pretty penny for their Yorkie.....and then more pretty pennies to take care of her....and then in the end, a bunch more was paid out to try and save the little thing, only to have it die anyway.

Oh dearheart, its got to be hard for your kids on this one. To think they did everything right and now this.

Both of my litters shocked the crap out of all of vets in the vicinity. No worms at all. But my bitch Ruby Starr was in such primo condition and I literally birthed her litters with her.

I hope your famly heals soon.

Was the puppy actually tested for worms? You say it had its shots and "exams" but you don't specify a fecal test for worms, and subsequent treatment for worms.

Shots don't protect the dog from worms, that's not why shots are given.

Sounds like this pup had worms for a long time. The pup must have been pretty skinny and sickly-looking. Didn't anyone notice?

You talk a lot about the cost of the vet. Did concern about vet bills prevent them from taking the pup to the vet sooner? By the way, hookworms cannot be seen with the naked eye, so I'm not sure what worms they were seeing in the stool.

Sorry, just asking the hard questions.

Last edited:

I feel for your sorrow. Losing a pet is difficult at any time, and particularly when the kids are involved as well. Hookworms: read up on it again, and your son should visit the vet and ask what happened. Try not to feed animals human food as well: has little to do with heart worms but everything with animal digestion and absorption. Hang in there.

I believe breeders shluld NOT be allowed to make money from breeding.

Breed for the love of the breed and not profit.

If that were the case millions of shelter dogs would be adopted instead of people BUYING them from breeders.

The number of dogs bread are very nearly equal to the amount of dogs put down due to lack of adoption every year.

A dog is a dog is a dog.

The finest animals I have ever loved were mutts.

Beautiful, smart and loving mutts.

My avatar is one of those mutts.

I believe breeders shluld NOT be allowed to make money from breeding.

Breed for the love of the breed and not profit.

If that were the case millions of shelter dogs would be adopted instead of people BUYING them from breeders.

The number of dogs bread are very nearly equal to the amount of dogs put down due to lack of adoption every year.

A dog is a dog is a dog.

The finest animals I have ever loved were mutts.

Beautiful, smart and loving mutts.

My avatar is one of those mutts.

I believe there should be limitations and oversight of breeders. However, they should be able to charge for their puppies, not only to recoup some of their costs but to help weed out the real losers who would come forward if these pups were free or even cheap. Most small breeders do not make a profit, it is only the puppy mills who make a profit. Puppy mill should be shut down, I agree.

The finest dogs I've ever had the honor of knowing are my purebred Dobermans. They are smart, funny, super-atheltic, loving and oh-so loyal. I love one of my dobies so much that if I'm not sure what I'll do when she dies. She's eight now. It is my overwhelming need to outlive her so I can make sure she's taken care of, but at the same time her death may kill me. Literally. Rather than taking her to the vet for euthanasia, I have imagined her and I going out in the garage together, sitting in the car, starting it, and talking about running and chasing flippies and balls and going for walks and having treats and all the things she loves the most...while we both check out together.

So muts are not better than purebred dogs. They are all individuals, and I dislike it very much when people say that one class of dogs (mutts) are better than another (purebreds). I give them ALL an equal chance.

By the way...as for shelter dogs. I have my two Dobermans I purchased as puppies, but I also have three other dogs who are rescues. One from death row at Animal Control, and the other two I had to trap off the streets, they wouldn't come to anyone. They just happen to be purebred dogs, but they were abandonned nonetheless.

In addition, I have a purebred Persian cat and an Abyssinian cat I purchased as kittens. But I also have four rescued cats, taken in off the streets. They hadn't even had anyone care enough to get them to a shelter, I rescued them off the streets.

Not everyone who purchases purebred animals from breeders fails in their duty to take in homeless and abandoned animals, Truthmatters. I have seven rescues living at my house along with my four on-purpose animals.

I understand the love of certain breeds my fellow animal lover.

I am head over heels in love with the herding breeds.

I have three (The most my ordanaces will allow me).

Pure breeds can be found at the pound especiallyu one liek you and I like, Dobys and herders.

People cant handle them and dump them in the pound.

I may have pure breds but I doubt it.

If your dobys were not pure you would love then jsut as much.

You cant off yourself with the doby, You have to hang around to take care of the rest of her pack in your possesion.

You KNOW she would wnat you to do it.

Its painful and it is heart crushing but she would want you to go on and you know it as well as I do.

I agree neither is better but mutts are just as wonderful as pure breds.

A dog is and dog is a dog.

They are all special in their own indiviudual way.

It the fun of getting to know them that makes them wonderful.

If breeders couldnt make money then only people who love the dogs would breed.

Its why I think its a good idea.

If I thought the hearding breeds were in danger I would breed them myself.

They are not and too many dogs die because they dont have a home.

You are my hero for saving so many.

there will be other dogs in need of your heroics after your sweet girl is gone.

Take care my fellow dog lover , I really enjoyed your post.

Sorry I didnt see it earlier

Truthmatters, that is what will keep me from checking out with my beloved dog. The others who need me. Even including a human, my husband. : )

But, I'll tell you what, my Dad died a couple of years ago and I think it will be harder on me when this dog goes. Her absence will be with me every moment of every day, starting first thing when I wake up and her head isn't on the pillow beside me. : ( I think we knew each other in past lives, I think we are soulmates. Hopefully, that is true and we will know each other again some day. I'll have to just believe something like that in order to continue functioning. Crazy, huh? Love is brutal.

I'm so sad to hear of the little yorkies passing. I know how hard that is and for one so young to go in that way is simply awful! Your little ones have my sincere condolences!

Forum List

Back