~Yorkie Died~

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Dabs, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Seriously here...my son and his family had a Yorkie.
    She was an inside the house puppy, about 5 months old......they also have 2 hound dogs that stay outside 24/7 and they have a pitbull that stays in mostly but goes out for potty and other activity.
    The Yorkie started acting funny the day before yesterday and late yesterday afternoon, when I stopped over there, the little dog was acting odd. They said she wasn't eating well, and she had diarrhea and they also said they noticed blood and worms in her stool.
    Late last night, about 9 p.m.......the dog was taken to an emergency animal clinic, the charge for an outside office call that late was $100....but the puppy was taken in, and tested for parvo at first.....it came back negative.
    Then the fecal test was done and the vet said the puppy was ate up with hookworms!
    But I don't understand......they had taken the little thing to a vet properly, it had it's shots and exams.
    I guess the vet last night said the puppy could be given some medicine, but it was no assurance the dog would live. They chose to go ahead with the medicine, and the little thing died anyway.
    So....I have 2 heart-broken grandchildren.....and I haven't had a chance to talk to my son and his girlfriend today to find out exactly what all the vet said, but how on earth does a puppy get hookworms when they have been wormed properly??
    I tried to cram in some hookworm research today, and I found out hookworms happen mostly in puppies and they can get the hookworms thru their Mother's milk while nursing. And I read some things about the hookworm larvae being in the soil outside and other dogs getting into that (??)
    Anyone know anything more they can add here??
    I know some of you know a lot more about animals than I do......just trying to get a little insight here.
    I know it's too late now, and the vet did tell my son that they needed to get the other dogs tested too........but I guess I am surprised about this. I knew hookworms and roundworms and all that does live in cats and/or dogs......but jeepers, I thought that's why the shots were given.
    So.....Dixie.....(that was the little pup's name).....was buried late last night.
    They got her when she was about 8 weeks.....so they haven't had her long.
    But it cost my son over $200 last night to rush the doggie to the vet, only to come back home with a little dead animal :(
    Ah cripes......I feel sad now....more sad than I did. And it wasn't even my dog~

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,935
    I'm so sorry your family's Yorkie died. Some doggies just draw the short straw, Dabs. I'm sorry your family's puppy seems to have done just that, even when they did all they humanly could by taking the animal regularly to the veterinarian's.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. techieny

techieny Conservative Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +586
    sorry Dabs. I love dogs!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,638
    That is so sad. I'm sorry for their loss. Yorkies are such beautiful little animals.

5. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,941

Oh dabs, I was just coming in to post to try to find someone who knew blueticks or redbones and I saw this post of yours.

Hookworms especially in a small dog are lethal. Now I'm not sure if you remember but I am the catahoula breeder so my pups out of the shoot are bigger than a full grown yorkie.

What a sad day. When fecal tests are taken at the vet originally, hookworms should have been in that test and treated.

When I flew up JimDandy from Pontchatoula,I knew I was gonna be in a world of financial hurt over worms (serious working kennel and outside pup life but I knew what I was getting into) Aye carumba.

Let me just say here and now I was off of pasta for almost two years after Jim Dandy's deworming schedule.

I'll get you more on hooks but do me one big favor. Make sure all other purchasers of yorkies from this breeder are alerted.

Not blaming the breeder. Crap happens. I'll lay this more at the vet who didn't catch this in the first tests till you give me more data.

What a sad day for you and your family. Hang in there.

yours,

td

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. tinydancer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,941
    I love the killer smidges, the terriers. Lord, before I die I really want one called Glen Of Immal. I know I'll never get one although if I win a lottery I'll try. I hunt so pocket pups aren't for me now, but I admire them with all my heart.

Always have. My dad bought a boston in 62 for $250. Cinnamon Saints Ben Beau. What a freind to me and then when I left home to my parents, he lived to 16.

Terriers are just awesome.

ETA : when I came back in to post to Dabs I realized in this day and age most wouldn't understand my comment about $250. in 1962. So let's round this out. You could buy a Chev Impala for $250. in '62. But my dad bought the Boston.:lol:

My mom got a mink the next year.:eusa_angel: for my dad's move on benny.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  7. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    So sorry for your family's loss... its hard to lose a pet. They are so loving and innocent.
    :(

8. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Thanks TD!
    And for an update......upon further investigating, it was found to be the breeder did not properly treat her Yorkies, the Mother of this particular Yorkie, was in bad health.

9. tinydancer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,941

Thanks for the update Dabs. Truly strange for a beautiful pocket pup like a yorkie to have hook.

My life has been all about hunting dogs in the past years and no full cry breeder on the planet worth their while can guarantee you worm free, because mom's been treeing or hogging up to the last minute, lol, with the rest of the pack.

But when you said hook in a yorkie all sorts of flags went off in my head. I've busted more than one puppy mill in my time and seen enough horrors to last me a lifetime. Not saying the breeder is a mill, but I've seen even well meaning people be just so daft pumping out pups.

Maybe the local vets really should add hook to their worm tests on a regular basis though. What a sad death for the baby and your kids did everything right for the little soul.

I tell you, when I went thru losing Dusty and Bad Ass this spring, I thought I was permanently going to lose it. I had more than one night out in the woods screaming at the moon.

So just know from these winter wastelands a prayer is coming your way for you and your family. Hope healing comes quick and in the form of puppy breath.

10. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    So sorry to hear about you little puppy.

I would take the breeder you bought it from to task.