Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
We'll probably be waiting a long time:

(warning: graphic pictures)

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/bless-the-beasts-and-children.htm

Bless the Beasts and Children

Where did they go?

On 29 June, American and Iraqi soldiers were again fighting side-by-side as soldiers from Charley Company 1-12 CAV, led by Captain Clayton Combs, and Iraqi soldiers from the 5th IA, closed in on a village on the outskirts of Baqubah. The village had the apparent misfortune of being located near a main road—about 3.5 miles from FOB Warhorse—that al Qaeda liked to bomb. Al Qaeda had taken over the village. As Iraqi and American soldiers moved in, they came under light contact; but the bombs planted in the roads, and maybe in the houses, were the real threat.

The firefight progressed. American missiles were fired. The enemy might have been trying to bait Iraqi and American soldiers into ambush, but it did not work. The village was riddled with bombs, some of them large enough to destroy a tank. One by one, experts destroyed the bombs, leaving small and large craters in the unpaved roads.

The village was abandoned. All the people were gone. But where?

*bump* No one has anything to discuss?

Yet another Al Qaeda atrocity. ME extremists make the hoards of Ghengis Khan look like missionaries. American and British politicians have chosen to fight the Iraq war to not win; in the same way that America chose not to win in Viet Nam. In VN, we never took the war to the enemy base; we never invaded the North. Instead we occupied the South with a 500,000 man police force. Moreover, we let the enemy get constantly resupplied from outside Viet Nam. We did not attack the external supply lines of the enemy. In Viet Nam, unlike WW2, we never systematically attacked the "civilian" population that supported the enemy. In Viet Nam we were not prepared to be both ruthless and remorseless enough to win. In Iraq, we have fought the enemy everywhere within the country, but we have let the enemy get constantly reinforced and financed from outside Iraq. We have not attacked the external supply lines of the enemy. Instead we have occupied Iraq with a 150,000 man police force. In Iraq, unlike WW2, we have not attacked the “civilian” population that supports the enemy. When it invaded Iraq, America did not understand the degree of ruthlessness and barbarity that characterizes the enemy. Unlike WW2, America has not been willing to pursue the Iraq war with the degree of ruthlessness and savagery necessary to win. The "winning of hearts and minds" is a fantasy that has no meaning in war, unless you want to lose. When Sherman decimated Georgia, he was attacking those that backed up the enemy, he was not concerned with hearts and minds. Defeat was so total, there was no insurgency in 1866. When we firebombed and nuked Japanese cities we were attacking those that backed up the enemy, we were not concerned with hearts and minds. The Japanese defeat was total. As a result, the million man Japanese Army in China surrendered, and there was no insurgency in the home islands. The object of war must be the complete, grinding, crushing defeat of the enemy and those who back him up. Anything less is begging for insurgency and stalemate. And that is just what we got.

I'd like to think with a larger r'epertoire of experiences, tech tools, and superior forces that we would not be forced to crush civilians. To some degree that is playing out during this latest strategy, the civilians are turning to the stronger side, betraying al qaeda that has been subjugating them.

However, the administration has been nearly criminally negligent at getting out the story of what has been done there. Few people here actually understand the success and challenges that have been faced. Buckets of ink and hours of airtime have been spent on crimes by a few, yet nearly none on what has been done correctly and for whom. There is a total lack of portraying the enemy in their ruthless reality. Yon has, but how many read his pieces? Roggio has, same problem. Totten too, as well as others. One has to ask, why the MSM has failed so miserably and why?

I'd like to think with a larger r'epertoire of experiences, tech tools, and superior forces that we would not be forced to crush civilians. To some degree that is playing out during this latest strategy, the civilians are turning to the stronger side, betraying al qaeda that has been subjugating them.

However, the administration has been nearly criminally negligent at getting out the story of what has been done there. Few people here actually understand the success and challenges that have been faced. Buckets of ink and hours of airtime have been spent on crimes by a few, yet nearly none on what has been done correctly and for whom. There is a total lack of portraying the enemy in their ruthless reality. Yon has, but how many read his pieces? Roggio has, same problem. Totten too, as well as others. One has to ask, why the MSM has failed so miserably and why?
The media has behaved in Iraq the way it always behaves. It has behaved in exactly the same way it did in Viet Nam. It would have behaved the same way in WW2 had it not been strictly controlled. The way that the media has behaved in Iraq should have been expected. Unlike WW2, and similar to Viet Nam, the Iraq war was not fought with the degree of ferocity necessary to win. Name a war where the "civilian" enemy (those who back up the enemy combatants) was not crushed and yet complete victory was still achieved. History is filled with examples of wars where enemy combatants were defeated, yet the outcome was insurgency and/or stalemate: WW1, Korea, Viet Nam, Gulf War, Iraq War, the slow retreat of the British Empire, the French in Algeria, and the list goes on and on. To find examples where war has been won without a resultant insurgency, one must look at examples where the "civilian" backers up have been completely defeated: the American Civil War, WW2 in Europe, WW2 in Asia, the Communists on mainland China. The list is short. I am not referring to the morality of war on civilians. That is another matter. I am referring to who wins wars and why. It is clear that there is a difference between winning in combat and winning in war. A war is not won until the civilian supporters (those that enable the war) have been crushed. "War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over." William T. Sherman. That is the horrible truth about war. It was true in 1864 and it is still true today. If we are not prepared to fight war in the ruthless and savage way that is necessary to win, then we should not go to war in the first place.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/update-on-bless-the-beasts-and-children.htm

Update on “Bless the Beasts and Children”

Baqubah, Iraq

Since the publication of “Bless the Beasts and Children” many questions have arisen: some of which I can and will answer here, and some whose answers lie elsewhere.

Today, late afternoon on 3 July in Baqubah, Colonel Hiduit from 2nd Brigade 5th Iraqi Army was able to provide some additional details about the murders, as the ongoing investigation begins to yield more facts. The name of the village was not on any maps I examined while preparing the dispatch, but Colonel Hiduit said the name is al Hamira. Coordinates to the area of the gravesites are MC 679 381.

In my dispatch, I reported that six people were killed, but mentioned that Iraqi soldiers were still digging out bodies when I left. A few hours ago, Colonel Hiduit put the number at 10-14, and said the search for bodies had ended. I made video of the graves, bodies and of interviews with Iraqi and American soldiers while we still were at the scene and have been working to make material from this available on this website.

As the investigation unfolds more pertinent details, I’ll continue to update the story. But the biggest question rippling across the internet–“Why hasn’t the mainstream media picked this up?” –is something only representatives of mainstream media can answer.

The media has behaved in Iraq the way it always behaves. It has behaved in exactly the same way it did in Viet Nam. It would have behaved the same way in WW2 had it not been strictly controlled. The way that the media has behaved in Iraq should have been expected. Unlike WW2, and similar to Viet Nam, the Iraq war was not fought with the degree of ferocity necessary to win. Name a war where the "civilian" enemy (those who back up the enemy combatants) was not crushed and yet complete victory was still achieved. History is filled with examples of wars where enemy combatants were defeated, yet the outcome was insurgency and/or stalemate: WW1, Korea, Viet Nam, Gulf War, Iraq War, the slow retreat of the British Empire, the French in Algeria, and the list goes on and on. To find examples where war has been won without a resultant insurgency, one must look at examples where the "civilian" backers up have been completely defeated: the American Civil War, WW2 in Europe, WW2 in Asia, the Communists on mainland China. The list is short. I am not referring to the morality of war on civilians. That is another matter. I am referring to who wins wars and why. It is clear that there is a difference between winning in combat and winning in war. A war is not won until the civilian supporters (those that enable the war) have been crushed. "War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over." William T. Sherman. That is the horrible truth about war. It was true in 1864 and it is still true today. If we are not prepared to fight war in the ruthless and savage way that is necessary to win, then we should not go to war in the first place.

You bitch and whine about me "defending terrorists" and then you want to commit terrorist atrocities and murder civilians? You want the US to act no better than Hezbollah, even though you hate them so. Pathetic.

You bitch and whine about me "defending terrorists" and then you want to commit terrorist atrocities and murder civilians? You want the US to act no better than Hezbollah, even though you hate them so. Pathetic.
What is pathetic is the lying hostility contained in your post. Where did I say that I wanted war conducted like a terrorist, assbreath? The implication of your "murder civilians" comment is that American attacks on enemy cities during WW2 constituted murder. Obviously false. What is the meaning of the word "civilian," when those described with that word support and finance enemy combatants? My comments in the posts above were about what countries have avoided insurgencies and/or stalemates and why. I outlined a comparison between Iraq and Viet Nam, and why America did not eliminate the enemy insurgency in both cases. Then pointed out conflicts where insurgencies were avoided. Any fool, even someone as slow as you Larkinn, can observe that insurgencies were avoided when conflict resulted in the defeat of "civilians" that backed up enemy combatants. Moreover, fewer real civilian casualties result when the "civilian" supporters and financiers of a conflict are defeated, compared to those conflicts where long-term insurgencies develop. You have a real reading comprehension problem. What part of this sentence do you not understand:

onedomino said:
I am not referring to the morality of war on civilians. That is another matter. I am referring to who wins wars and why. It is clear that there is a difference between winning in combat and winning in war.

What is pathetic is the lying hostility contained in your post. Where did I say that I wanted war conducted like a terrorist, assbreath? The implication of your "murder civilians" comment is that American attacks on enemy cities during WW2 constituted murder. Obviously false.

Obviously false? No, sorry. The firebombings of civilian populations and the nuclear blasts were both murder.

What is the meaning of the word "civilian," when those described with that word support and finance enemy combatants? My comments in the posts above were about what countries have avoided insurgencies and/or stalemates and why.

Considering almost everyone in America supports and funds our troops, does that mean that we are not civilians? With this idiotic logic 9/11 was not a crime against civilians, but this new term that you haven't specified yet.

I outlined a comparison between Iraq and Viet Nam, and why America did not eliminate the enemy insurgency in both cases. Then pointed out conflicts where insurgencies were avoided. Any fool, even someone as slow as you Larkinn, can observe that insurgencies were avoided when conflict resulted in the defeat of "civilians" that backed up enemy combatants.

Regardless of what actually happens in the different scenarios, the fact remains that you are now advocating killing civilians, hence making you advocating terrorism.

Moreover, fewer real civilian casualties result when the "civilian" supporters and financiers of a conflict are defeated, compared to those conflicts where long-term insurgencies develop. You have a real reading comprehension problem. What part of this sentence do you not understand:
[/quote]

Errr no. How many people civilians died in Dresden (just one city) vs, how many died in Iraq?

And why the hell are you asking me what part of a sentence I don't understand when this is the first time you posted it? Posting new information and then demanding to know what I don't understand before I even have a chance to respond? What the hell is wrong with you.

Murder can sometimes be justified, as it was in WWII. Then the situation was fairly desperate. Most of the major powers were at war, and the situation was...well grim. Tens of millions of people died in those battles, the cruelty was a necessary evil.

Now? Iraq is a piddling ME country with barely any power. We are fighting an insurgency there. We don't need to crush them completely, its not worth the massive human loss of life, and frankly its incredibly stupid. Times have changed. We live in a more globalized world. We crush the Iraqi insurgency cruelly and inhumanely and we give reason for people across the Arab and Muslim world to join AQ.

Obviously false? No, sorry. The firebombings of civilian populations and the nuclear blasts were both murder.

Considering almost everyone in America supports and funds our troops, does that mean that we are not civilians? With this idiotic logic 9/11 was not a crime against civilians, but this new term that you haven't specified yet.

Regardless of what actually happens in the different scenarios, the fact remains that you are now advocating killing civilians, hence making you advocating terrorism.
grrrrrrrr I dont know why it didnt quote right, the following is Larkin....
Errr no. How many people civilians died in Dresden (just one city) vs, how many died in Iraq?

And why the hell are you asking me what part of a sentence I don't understand when this is the first time you posted it? Posting new information and then demanding to know what I don't understand before I even have a chance to respond? What the hell is wrong with you.

Murder can sometimes be justified, as it was in WWII. Then the situation was fairly desperate. Most of the major powers were at war, and the situation was...well grim. Tens of millions of people died in those battles, the cruelty was a necessary evil.

Now? Iraq is a piddling ME country with barely any power. We are fighting an insurgency there. We don't need to crush them completely, its not worth the massive human loss of life, and frankly its incredibly stupid. Times have changed. We live in a more globalized world. We crush the Iraqi insurgency cruelly and inhumanely and we give reason for people across the Arab and Muslim world to join AQ.
His ends here....

An outright LIE. Neither the bombing campaign nor the use of the two A Bombs was murder, nor criminal. You and those that claim so 60 years after the fact are ignorant of the conditions, the mores and the reasoning for the bombing and the Atomic weapons. I will grant that it MIGHT be possible Dresden was not necassary. But it was a legit target and was bombed for military reasons.

Using your logic, machine guns are criminal as are grenades, artillery and any naval or airstrike.

The atomic bombs are the easiest of all to defend if you were a sane person. But your obviously one of those crackpots that buys into the conspiracy theory that we bombed them to scare the Soviets.

There is NOT ONE shred of credible evidence that PRIOR to the surrender of Japan and our gaining access to their documents and records ANYONE in a position of command on the Allied side had any idea that Japan would surrender out right before we invaded and slaughtered most of the Japanese population.

Read up on Saipan and Okinawa and the conduct of the military of Japan through out the war. Then read up on the KNOWN war plans of the Japanese to defend the home Islands.

The Japanese civilian population chose suicide to surrender in every location we encountered them on the ground. In Okinawa the Japanese army forceable chose death for Okinawans that wouldn't commit suicide that they had control over.

The Japanese military did not surrender, or rather so few did that for all intents and purposes there was no reason to expect them to quit no matter the odds.

Japan was run by the Military. Even after the Emperor, a man they considered a God, made the decision to surrender , after two Atomic Bombs, the Japanese Military tried to prevent his surrender.

The projected losses in the planned invasion of ONE of the home Islands was a MILLION allied ( mostly americans) troops, with 1 to 2 hundred thousand being killed. It was, based on the previous experience of Saipan and Okinawa and the plans for use of civilians armed with bamboo spears, believed that the Japanese race could be in danger of being eliminated. At the least MILLIONS of civilians would die.

Truman agonized over the use of the Bomb ( and in fact he never ordered the second, but left it to the military) And NO ONE knew the consequences of the radiation after the use of the bombs. Both targets were legit military targets. Ports and Army headquarters used to raise Armies to resist the invasion.

A little history lesson may help as long as you don't buy into the revisionist history that somehow the Allies were the bad guys in WW2.

grrrrrrrr I dont know why it didnt quote right, the following is Larkin.... His ends here....

An outright LIE. Neither the bombing campaign nor the use of the two A Bombs was murder, nor criminal. You and those that claim so 60 years after the fact are ignorant of the conditions, the mores and the reasoning for the bombing and the Atomic weapons. I will grant that it MIGHT be possible Dresden was not necassary. But it was a legit target and was bombed for military reasons.

Using your logic, machine guns are criminal as are grenades, artillery and any naval or airstrike.

The atomic bombs are the easiest of all to defend if you were a sane person. But your obviously one of those crackpots that buys into the conspiracy theory that we bombed them to scare the Soviets.

There is NOT ONE shred of credible evidence that PRIOR to the surrender of Japan and our gaining access to their documents and records ANYONE in a position of command on the Allied side had any idea that Japan would surrender out right before we invaded and slaughtered most of the Japanese population.

Read up on Saipan and Okinawa and the conduct of the military of Japan through out the war. Then read up on the KNOWN war plans of the Japanese to defend the home Islands.

The Japanese civilian population chose suicide to surrender in every location we encountered them on the ground. In Okinawa the Japanese army forceable chose death for Okinawans that wouldn't commit suicide that they had control over.

The Japanese military did not surrender, or rather so few did that for all intents and purposes there was no reason to expect them to quit no matter the odds.

Japan was run by the Military. Even after the Emperor, a man they considered a God, made the decision to surrender , after two Atomic Bombs, the Japanese Military tried to prevent his surrender.

The projected losses in the planned invasion of ONE of the home Islands was a MILLION allied ( mostly americans) troops, with 1 to 2 hundred thousand being killed. It was, based on the previous experience of Saipan and Okinawa and the plans for use of civilians armed with bamboo spears, believed that the Japanese race could be in danger of being eliminated. At the least MILLIONS of civilians would die.

Truman agonized over the use of the Bomb ( and in fact he never ordered the second, but left it to the military) And NO ONE knew the consequences of the radiation after the use of the bombs. Both targets were legit military targets. Ports and Army headquarters used to raise Armies to resist the invasion.

A little history lesson may help as long as you don't buy into the revisionist history that somehow the Allies were the bad guys in WW2.

Who said criminal? I merely said murder. Also try reading what I said...you would have avoided wasting your time posting all that, if you had read one little sentence I wrote. Hell, you even quoted it.

by larkinnMurder can sometimes be justified, as it was in WWII. Then the situation was fairly desperate. Most of the major powers were at war, and the situation was...well grim. Tens of millions of people died in those battles, the cruelty was a necessary evil.

Murder is a criminal act. The bombings and the A bombs were NOT murder. Plain and simple. Soldiers only commit murder during a war under VERY specific CRIMINAL actions.

What is pathetic is the lying hostility contained in your post. Where did I say that I wanted war conducted like a terrorist, assbreath? The implication of your "murder civilians" comment is that American attacks on enemy cities during WW2 constituted murder. Obviously false. What is the meaning of the word "civilian," when those described with that word support and finance enemy combatants? My comments in the posts above were about what countries have avoided insurgencies and/or stalemates and why. I outlined a comparison between Iraq and Viet Nam, and why America did not eliminate the enemy insurgency in both cases. Then pointed out conflicts where insurgencies were avoided. Any fool, even someone as slow as you Larkinn, can observe that insurgencies were avoided when conflict resulted in the defeat of "civilians" that backed up enemy combatants. Moreover, fewer real civilian casualties result when the "civilian" supporters and financiers of a conflict are defeated, compared to those conflicts where long-term insurgencies develop. You have a real reading comprehension problem. What part of this sentence do you not understand:

So what you're saying onedomino is that you COMPLETELY support Al Qaeda's attack on the "civilians" in the World Trade Center?

After all...those enemy combatants were only playing by the very rules you've laid out here.

How bout it?

Do you really think that was a superior and viable strategy?

So what you're saying onedomino is that you COMPLETELY support Al Qaeda's attack on the "civilians" in the World Trade Center?

After all...those enemy combatants were only playing by the very rules you've laid out here.

How bout it?

Do you really think that was a superior and viable strategy?
Are you insane? That was unprovoked and there was no war. However, I would COMPLETELY support you going back on medication.

Are you insane? That was unprovoked and there was no war. However, I would COMPLETELY support you going back on medication.

Actually you should consider that the people who attacked us don't believe that they killed "civilians" onedomino. In their minds they have been provoked by our government's foreign policy in the middle east. As long as we stand by and allow it then there are no "innocents" in the mind of our enemy.

As long as American companies build the helicopters and missles that are used to kill Muslim women and children, and American contractors and companies maintain these death machines, our enemy believes he has the duty to attack American citizens. They sort of hold us responsible for what we let our government get away with.

You can rant and rave in your self-righteous indignation about "fair" rules of warfare but if you're stuck in an obsolete paradigm of warfare and your enemy isn't you're going to have a hard time defeating him. We aren't making the rules here. They have believed they're at war for sometime. It doesn't matter if you or anybody else don't "believe" there was a war going on. Just because it hadn't arrived in your homeland yet doesn't mean they haven't been dealing with our government's screwed up policies in their holy lands for years.

Murder is a criminal act. The bombings and the A bombs were NOT murder. Plain and simple. Soldiers only commit murder during a war under VERY specific CRIMINAL actions.

Lmao...murder is only a criminal act, if its against the law.

Killing civilians is murder. Whether its justifiable or not is another question, but its fucking murder. Especially when you know your actions will kill civilians.

Al Qaeda Atrocity Follow-up: Old Media Member 'Explains' Non-Coverage
Posted by Tom Blumer on July 4, 2007 - 22:07.
Michael Yon doesn't have an answer (HT to NewsBuster reader "acumen") as to why Old Media won't cover the Al Qaeda massacre of a small village near Baqubah, Iraq that he reported earlier this week

Thus far, among major media outlets, only Fox News, which ran about half of Yon's dispatch and linked to it, has noted the report's existence. This search on "Baqubah" done at about 10 PM ET on July 4 confirms the non-coverage
Instapundit's Glenn Reynolds received Yon's answer in an e-mail from a person he describes as "a journalist whose name you'd recognize." Consider it the Old Media bias e-mail of the year until further notice:

Yon's story doesn't get attention because it is humiliating.

It is humiliating because it is obvious that we media – and our allies in the state department, the legal trade, the NGOs, the Democratic Party, the UN, etc., - can't do squat about such determined use of force.

Our words, images, arguments and skills can't stop the killing. Only the rough soldiers and their guns can solve the problem, and we won't admit that fact because the admission would weaken our influence and our claim to social status.

So we pretend Yon’s massacre – and the North Korean killing fields, the Arab treatment of women, the Arab hatred of Israel, etc. - doesn’t exist, and instead focus our emotions and attention on the somewhat-bad domestic things that we can 'fix' with our DC-based allies. Things such as Abu Ghraib, wiretapping, etc. When we 'fix' them, then we get status, applause, power, new jobs, ego, etc.

Please don’t be surprised. We media are an interest group not much different from the automakers, the unions, and the farmers.

http://newsbusters.org/node/13919

Lmao...murder is only a criminal act, if its against the law.

Killing civilians is murder. Whether its justifiable or not is another question, but its fucking murder. Especially when you know your actions will kill civilians.

I agree with you completely. According to the Geneva Conventions deliberate attacks on civilians is murder.

Unfortunately the US is not at liberty to pick and chose when it wants to apply international law to this "war on terror" though.

Think about it.

I agree with you completely. According to the Geneva Conventions deliberate attacks on civilians is murder.

Unfortunately the US is not at liberty to pick and chose when it wants to apply international law to this "war on terror" though.

Think about it.

When did the terrorists sign the GC?

Is the US military to blame for the car bombs in Iraq? Or will you blame Pres Bush?

It seems the liberal media is ignoring the real massacre

snip

20 beheaded bodies were discovered on the banks of the Tigris river near the city of Salman Pak, Sinan Salaheddin of the Associated Press reported June 28.

"The bodies, all men aged 20 to 40, had their hands and legs bound, and some of the heads were found next to the bodies, " the AP said. "The victims' identities were unknown, but they were found in an area where Shiite travelers have been kidnapped and killed in the past."

The AP attributed the story to two anonymous Iraqi police officers, one in Baghdad and one in Kut. The story also was reported by the British news service Reuters.

"It now appears that the story was completely false and fabricated by unknown sources," said a spokesman for Multi-National Force Iraq June 30. Both the AP and Reuters have issued retractions.

Michael Yon, a former Green Beret, is a freelance journalist embedded with U.S. troops in the offensive against al Qaida in Diyala province northeast of Baghdad. On June 29 he accompanied U.S. and Iraqi troops on a sweep through the village of al Hamira.

The soldiers cleared the village after a brief firefight, but found no civilians in it. They did pass two donkeys which had been shot in the neck.

A "terrible stench" drew the soldiers to a nearby palm grove. In the grove were mass graves containing the remains of 14 men, women and children. The children had been beheaded.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/07/ap_takes_terrorists_over_solde.html

Forum List

Back