Y'know what song's really depressing?

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
"Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen. I never really listened hard to the lyrics until last night, and I realized that it's really a pretty downbeat song, despite the upbeat music.

Have you guys ever heard a song and then gone back much later and realized that it was really a different song than you thought it was?

Yes. The songs on Cocteau Twins' Heaven or Las Vegas all sound beautiful when you don't have a clue what Liz is saying. I looked up the lyrics to one of them online once (I forget which song), and was shocked to learn they were bitterly caustic. Despite that, it's still one of my favorite albums. I just listen to the music and don't worry about the words now.

Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve.

You earn some money then you die.

Oh. My. God.

revolution by the butthole surfers. they(bhs) state that the leader of the revolution will be GARY SHANDLING... .....huh? gotta love GIBBY AND PAUL.....king too (and whoever they hire to play bass)

eye in the sky by the alan parsons project (yes I'm old)

Seasons in the Sun and Patches.

Those are two incredibly sad and sappy songs.

Pretty much any song by new pop acts (ie Justin Timberlake, Good Charolette) gawd that shit sucks. Depresses me so much I want to stick rusty forks in my ears.

did you ever hear about the guy who used to pass him self off as the guy who wrote seasons in the sun????

Why would anyone want to do that?

Seasons in the Sun is the worst song ever recorded in the history of humankind.

Originally posted by wonderwench
Why would anyone want to do that?

Seasons in the Sun is the worst song ever recorded in the history of humankind.

Are you absolutely sure about that WW?

How about "Chirpy Cheep Cheep" or "The Birdy Song" although maybe you were lucky and they didn't cross the Atlantic.

I still say that Seasons In The Sun is the Worst Song Ever Recorded.

Although as mentioned above, the current crop of pre-fab dance acts make horrible music as well. The difference being, Seasons was a seriously intended effort. The latter are just products with no soul.

Okay, as a serious song you could be right. The good thing was that it could easily be paraphrased.

A popular rendition, when Welsh rugby was a force to be reckoned with was:-

"We have joy, we have fun, we have England on the run"

Oh...... happy days

"Patches" sucks so bad it doesn't even elicit an emotional reaction. The saddest, sappiest songs I can think of offhand are:

Henry Gross - "Shannon"
Bobby Goldsboro - "Honey"
Ferlin Husky - "Country Bumpkin"

Jeez that was bad.

And how about D.I.V.O.R.C.E., that was awful imo.

Once one really starts to think about the subject it's amazing how many really crap records are produced.

Or is it simply a fact that the general public generally have such poor taste that most pop music is rubbish?

Originally posted by h.j. anslinger
did you ever hear about the guy who used to pass him self off as the guy who wrote seasons in the sun????

No joke... I had a guy come out to clean my carpets last year, and he told me that he wrote the Amazing Grace/Peaceful Easy Feeling medley! And he had only been playing guitar for about as long as I had! (eight years this spring)

I don't think it's necessarily that the public has bad taste, 5.10, I think it's that they tend to buy what's available and that those idiotic songs have a way of getting stuck in one's head.

I'm not familiar with the medley Jeff mentioned, but it doesn't strike me as incredible that a guy who has been playing guitar for eight years could pen a pop tune. What's incredible is that a talented songwriter would be laying carpet for a living.

Forum List

Back