Yikes, technicians wouldn't like this

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Below is the S&P 500 since 12/04/2017, a classic technical consolidation environment, but with clear lower highs along the way.

If you're into technical analysis, that doesn't look too good. Unless, of course, we're in a classic head-and-shoulders updraft. Who the hell knows.

Anyway, these folks are generally saying that a 2520 S&P would make them pee their pants, so I'm guessing there could be a lot of program selling around there.

I'm watching wage growth myself. If we don't hit at least 3.0% pretty soon, the market may lose its patience and go full drama queen for a while.
87_zpsgurwsygf.gif~original

Last edited:
Below is the S&P 500 since 12/04/2017, a classic technical consolidation environment, but with clear lower highs along the way.

If you're into technical analysis, that doesn't look too good. Unless, of course, we're in a classic head-and-shoulders updraft. Who the hell knows.

Anyway, these folks are generally saying that a 2520 S&P would make them pee their pants, so I'm guessing there could be a lot of program selling around there.

I'm watching wage growth myself. If we don't hit at least 3.0% pretty soon, the market may lose its patience and go full drama queen for a while.

Well right now there is no single national economic condition. The red states are generally improving in wages and employment the blue states aren't. Tax increases and services cuts are helping nearby purple states expand their tax base at the expense of blue states on their borders. My strategy for me is to buy high dividend issues and reinvest in as many other issues of the same type as I can find. Janet Lowe's works on Graham is my guideline.

I was doing some clean up in my account to make sure I would be able to reinvest in May. out of 12 positions I checked I had three notifications of increased dividends and I was able to write four active call options that would either give me 15-25% capital gains within 3 weeks or 2-3% net returns if they expired worthless. Does that support your thesis?

I was doing some clean up in my account to make sure I would be able to reinvest in May. out of 12 positions I checked I had three notifications of increased dividends and I was able to write four active call options that would either give me 15-25% capital gains within 3 weeks or 2-3% net returns if they expired worthless. Does that support your thesis?

options that would either give me 15-25% capital gains within 3 weeks or 2-3% net returns if they expired worthless.

What stocks?

The great Trump is saving up from bath house boi.

Well right now there is no single national economic condition. The red states are generally improving in wages and employment the blue states aren't. Tax increases and services cuts are helping nearby purple states expand their tax base at the expense of blue states on their borders. My strategy for me is to buy high dividend issues and reinvest in as many other issues of the same type as I can find. Janet Lowe's works on Graham is my guideline.

Yesterday's Wall Street Journal (4/26) had an article on the slump in consumer staple stocks. Good dividends but prices down, possibly because of the hike in Treasury bond rates.

There are all sorts of oddities.

With the market going sideways/down reinvestment gets easier and more profitable. Dividend yields are increasing faster than capital gains and earnings, at least among monthly dividend stocks.

With increasing market saturation and greater competition tech stocks are not likely to see increasing returns for too much longer with 2020 being the consensus.

There is a reasonably big disconnect between where the jobs are and where the skilled workers are. We have almost precise equality of job openings and job seekers

So, we could hit 3% wage growth and have not a clue about what it means.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back