Yikes, Hurricane Charley and my Dad!

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
The eye of the worst hurricane to hit Florida in a dozen years passed directly over Punta Gorda, a town of 15,000 which took a devastating hit Friday.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...p_on_re_us/hurricane_charley&cid=519&ncid=716

My Dad lives in Punta Gorda, and he's all of about 10 feet from the water. Last I heard I think he evacuated, but I never spoke to him myself. I hope he took his boat out of the water too. I can only imagine what kind of damage was done to his home and the general area. I believe there were 145mph winds when it came ashore.

:(

The town is bad! Jim, I spoke to Dad lastnight trying myself to update him. He did bail about 77 miles east of Punta Gorda, but there too they got high winds. Being they all thought it would hit Tampa, they only booked a hotel for one night the night before and was left with many others to sleep in their cars in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. Yes, the boat was taken out of the water and into the driveway, but as of today, so far, they are saying that one park is devastated with bodies being protected by the National Guard, this I pray is not the park that Dad lived in. His trailer (travel) was at a storage area, it's the one that they are showing on TV that isn't left standing. His trailer could be there, then again, it could be part of the pile of debris. Dan's car and Dad's truck were parked next door at the Neighbors house. I do know that Dad was heading back to the area this morning to find out if a home is still standing. Doesn't look very promising considering that Punta Gorda was the biggest hit in Florida. A hell of a Friday the 13th down there. Seeing the pictures of the historic town that I was last year is such a sad sight to see, there isn't much left.

I guess all we could do now, is wait and pray!

Yall's dad will definately be in my Prayers!!! Please keep us updated!!!

Charley's headed straight for us today, the eye was supposed to go right over my town, Fayetteville, last I heard it's supposed to head more east. He'll be here today.

East Coasters, Stay Safe!!!!!

Let us know when you find out everything is o.k.,jim. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I have been keeping up with this in the news,and it did look nasty. I bet you will hear from your dad sometime today as soon as he can find a cell or some phone line that works.

Add my prayers. It does look awful on television this morning. I'm glad they left, it seems the one area with casualties other than accidents and trees falling on people. Let us know.

Just received a phone call from Punta Gorda - BAD NEWS!!! my Dad's house has been leveled, among all the other homes in the park. There were the 2 bedrooms that were the ONLY things that stood and things from there can be salvaged. They are heading to Sarasota now in hopes to find a hotel where they can shower and get some sleep before heading back. It truly is a sad day for that area, and the numbers of deaths are growing. What I knew as a beautiful town, now looks like a bomb had ripped through. My prayers go to ALL those in Florida!

janeeng said:
Just received a phone call from Punta Gorda - BAD NEWS!!! my Dad's house has been leveled, among all the other homes in the park. There were the 2 bedrooms that were the ONLY things that stood and things from there can be salvaged. They are heading to Sarasota now in hopes to find a hotel where they can shower and get some sleep before heading back. It truly is a sad day for that area, and the numbers of deaths are growing. What I knew as a beautiful town, now looks like a bomb had ripped through. My prayers go to ALL those in Florida!

Janeen, I'm sorry about your dad's house, but so glad they are safe. The devestation to the town looks horrendous. Prayers keep going out to all the people in that area. I sent $10 to the Red Cross for this disaster!

Kathianne said:
Janeen, I'm sorry about your dad's house, but so glad they are safe. The devestation to the town looks horrendous. Prayers keep going out to all the people in that area. I sent $10 to the Red Cross for this disaster!

I think I am going to call and donate something as well. It won't be a whole lot,but if everyone does it adds up quick. I am so glad your family is safe janeeng!!! What a blessing in all that mess.

Oh no Janeen ! I am so sorry for Jack and Laurie but remember like I told you last night they are safe ! That's most important ! Are you going down ? Call me if you need something I will still say some prayers !

janeeng said:

I've been watching continuing coverage on CNN... the pictures are horrific. It doesnt make it easier to lose your house, but Sandy is right, at least they werent hurt.

If they need anything, food/clothing/supplies/donations ... you guys should post a little a note, I'm sure alot of people on this board would be happy to help in any way they can, myself included.

Thanks to all for your concern. My biggest problem now is digging my son's car out so he can get back to college. It is very difficult now because we have no water, no electric and no food.We had to travel 40 miles today to get gas and food. It is a real disaster here. I don't see electric for a long time with all the poles down. Much help is on the way in all areas. I will include a few photos of our park but it does not tell the story. Jim please delete if they take too much room.

Thanks again to all.

sorry files too large, will talk to Jim on how to upload them.

Jack said:
Thanks to all for your concern. My biggest problem now is digging my son's car out so he can get back to college. It is very difficult now because we have no water, no electric and no food.We had to travel 40 miles today to get gas and food. It is a real disaster here. I don't see electric for a long time with all the poles down. Much help is on the way in all areas. I will include a few photos of our park but it does not tell the story. Jim please delete if they take too much room.

Thanks again to all.

Glad your o.k. as well,jack! How was Clearwater affected? My stepmom's mother lives there and I am getting ready to call my dad to find out if everyone is o.k.

Jack said:

Thanks again to all.

Really glad that you are all ok! I hope the car is fine and son gets to school on time!

janeeng said:
Agree with you there Evil! Thanks for the ear too Sandy!!!!

Oh girl, no need for the thanks that why I am a friend thats what friends do !

Jack call if you need ANYTHING ! Our prayers are with you and Laurie & Dan !

Just saw this. How horrible! Glad Jack & Laurie are safe, tho' they have a very big, discouraging job ahead of them. If there is anything we can do, other than the obvious, please post it.

That's some pretty sad picture - I remember that park being so clean and pretty, sure is a mess. Hard to believe that your entire porch is just gone, just ripped off the entire rest of the house. I think that was one of my favorite spots was the porch overlooking the water. Doesn't look like anymore awnings or roofs either. Thanks for sharing the pics Dad! even though it's a truly sad sight to see.

Wow...thats a horrible sight! Glad to hear everyone is doing well. PLEASE let us know if you need anything.

Forum List

Back