Yikes, Hurricane Charley and my Dad!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimnyc, Aug 14, 2004.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    The eye of the worst hurricane to hit Florida in a dozen years passed directly over Punta Gorda, a town of 15,000 which took a devastating hit Friday.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...p_on_re_us/hurricane_charley&cid=519&ncid=716

My Dad lives in Punta Gorda, and he's all of about 10 feet from the water. Last I heard I think he evacuated, but I never spoke to him myself. I hope he took his boat out of the water too. I can only imagine what kind of damage was done to his home and the general area. I believe there were 145mph winds when it came ashore.

:(

2. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The town is bad! Jim, I spoke to Dad lastnight trying myself to update him. He did bail about 77 miles east of Punta Gorda, but there too they got high winds. Being they all thought it would hit Tampa, they only booked a hotel for one night the night before and was left with many others to sleep in their cars in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. Yes, the boat was taken out of the water and into the driveway, but as of today, so far, they are saying that one park is devastated with bodies being protected by the National Guard, this I pray is not the park that Dad lived in. His trailer (travel) was at a storage area, it's the one that they are showing on TV that isn't left standing. His trailer could be there, then again, it could be part of the pile of debris. Dan's car and Dad's truck were parked next door at the Neighbors house. I do know that Dad was heading back to the area this morning to find out if a home is still standing. Doesn't look very promising considering that Punta Gorda was the biggest hit in Florida. A hell of a Friday the 13th down there. Seeing the pictures of the historic town that I was last year is such a sad sight to see, there isn't much left.

I guess all we could do now, is wait and pray!

3. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    crossing my fingers for you guys and your father. I pray all will be well.

4. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yall's dad will definately be in my Prayers!!! Please keep us updated!!!

Charley's headed straight for us today, the eye was supposed to go right over my town, Fayetteville, last I heard it's supposed to head more east. He'll be here today.

East Coasters, Stay Safe!!!!!

5. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Let us know when you find out everything is o.k.,jim. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I have been keeping up with this in the news,and it did look nasty. I bet you will hear from your dad sometime today as soon as he can find a cell or some phone line that works.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Add my prayers. It does look awful on television this morning. I'm glad they left, it seems the one area with casualties other than accidents and trees falling on people. Let us know.

7. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just received a phone call from Punta Gorda - BAD NEWS!!! my Dad's house has been leveled, among all the other homes in the park. There were the 2 bedrooms that were the ONLY things that stood and things from there can be salvaged. They are heading to Sarasota now in hopes to find a hotel where they can shower and get some sleep before heading back. It truly is a sad day for that area, and the numbers of deaths are growing. What I knew as a beautiful town, now looks like a bomb had ripped through. My prayers go to ALL those in Florida!

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Janeen, I'm sorry about your dad's house, but so glad they are safe. The devestation to the town looks horrendous. Prayers keep going out to all the people in that area. I sent $10 to the Red Cross for this disaster!

9. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112

I think I am going to call and donate something as well. It won't be a whole lot,but if everyone does it adds up quick. I am so glad your family is safe janeeng!!! What a blessing in all that mess.

10. Sandy73

Sandy73 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no Janeen ! I am so sorry for Jack and Laurie but remember like I told you last night they are safe ! That's most important ! Are you going down ? Call me if you need something I will still say some prayers !