Yet ANOTHER THING to be pissed at Obama for!

Oct 18, 2008
Bowling Green Ohio
Little Known Military Thug Squad Still Brutalizing Prisoners at Gitmo Under Obama
By Jeremy Scahill, AlterNet
Posted on May 15, 2009, Printed on May 15, 2009
Little Known Military Thug Squad Still Brutalizing Prisoners at Gitmo Under Obama | | AlterNet

As the Obama administration continues to fight the release of some 2,000 photos that graphically document U.S. military abuse of prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan, an ongoing Spanish investigation is adding harrowing details to the ever-emerging portrait of the torture inside and outside Guantánamo. Among them: "blows to [the] testicles;" "detention underground in total darkness for three weeks with deprivation of food and sleep;" being "inoculated … through injection with 'a disease for dog cysts;'" the smearing of feces on prisoners; and waterboarding. The torture, according to the Spanish investigation, all occurred "under the authority of American military personnel" and was sometimes conducted in the presence of medical professionals.

More significantly, however, the investigation could for the first time place an intense focus on a notorious, but seldom discussed, thug squad deployed by the U.S. military to retaliate with excessive violence to the slightest resistance by prisoners at Guantánamo.

The force is officially known as the the Immediate Reaction Force or Emergency Reaction Force, but inside the walls of Guantánamo, it is known to the prisoners as the Extreme Repression Force. Despite President Barack Obama's publicized pledge to close the prison camp and end torture -- and analysis from human rights lawyers who call these forces' actions illegal -- IRFs remain very much active at Guantánamo.

Little Known Military Thug Squad Still Brutalizing Prisoners at Gitmo Under Obama | Rights and Liberties | AlterNet

I'll wait to see an account and confirmed report from someone other than a known partisan hack 'reporter'

i would trust alternet and other indie media outlets way more then partisan bias pushed on msm media such as the far right leaning fox news and left leaning msnbc

I do not trust when not a single major news outlet will not even sniff at the story..

There is nothing factual to back this up.. par for the course for these kinds of stories on sites like these

I'll wait to see an account and confirmed report from someone other than a known partisan hack 'reporter'

i would trust alternet and other indie media outlets way more then partisan bias pushed on msm media such as the far right leaning fox news and left leaning msnbc

I do not trust when not a single major news outlet will not even sniff at the story..

There is nothing factual to back this up.. par for the course for these kinds of stories on sites like these

of course msm wont sniff out these stories, they have specific agandas to follow that come down from their bosses, left is of course gonna be leery of touching a story that hurts their side and the right waits till the right time to go after it...mark my words, you WILL hear about it soon on fox news for sure, give it time. I like alternet because they rarely show any bias and have storys that go after both sides, hence this story and one they did that rips tim geithner a new one

Little Known Military Thug Squad Still Brutalizing Prisoners at Gitmo Under Obama
Little Known Military Thug Squad Still Brutalizing Prisoners at Gitmo Under Obama | | AlterNet

As the Obama administration continues to fight the release of some 2,000 photos that graphically document U.S. military abuse of prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan, an ongoing Spanish investigation is adding harrowing details to the ever-emerging portrait of the torture inside and outside Guantánamo. Among them: "blows to [the] testicles;" "detention underground in total darkness for three weeks with deprivation of food and sleep;" being "inoculated … through injection with 'a disease for dog cysts;'" the smearing of feces on prisoners; and waterboarding. The torture, according to the Spanish investigation, all occurred "under the authority of American military personnel" and was sometimes conducted in the presence of medical professionals.

More significantly, however, the investigation could for the first time place an intense focus on a notorious, but seldom discussed, thug squad deployed by the U.S. military to retaliate with excessive violence to the slightest resistance by prisoners at Guantánamo.

The force is officially known as the the Immediate Reaction Force or Emergency Reaction Force, but inside the walls of Guantánamo, it is known to the prisoners as the Extreme Repression Force. Despite President Barack Obama's publicized pledge to close the prison camp and end torture -- and analysis from human rights lawyers who call these forces' actions illegal -- IRFs remain very much active at Guantánamo.

Little Known Military Thug Squad Still Brutalizing Prisoners at Gitmo Under Obama | Rights and Liberties | AlterNet

See how the right blames everything on Clinton & Obama but they themselves were guilty of nothing in the last 8 years? Are they sharing the blame on this one? :lol:

The people in charge of Gitmo should be fired/arrested. The tortures should be fired/arrested. Bush for approving it should be arrested.

Obama said we don't torture. That doesn't mean he's guilty if some guard tortures.

Now if you find out he approved of it, let me know.

For what it is worth all prisons holding serious criminals will react this way on a periodic basis when the natives think they might be getting or wanting the upper hand. It works. If the story is genuine the decaying MSM will charge into the story weeping with joy and faux outrage. They will not give The Prophet a pass IMO.

The story smells like BS to me. Bare facts hyper-inflated to masquerade as something they aren't.

On the very off chance it's true, the whole lot of them should be prosecuted. They've violated the UCMJ and they know it.

Fuck Spain. Evidence?

The "reac squad" has been around at least since I was a private in 1980, as I was on one. It is comprised of personnel assigned to duty as part of the interior guard, and selected from the interior guard for their ability to respond to emergencies.

And THAT is all they do. Some knucklehead robbed the 21 Area e-club at gunpoint one night and they sent us out in search. We also got sent to put out a wildfire.

So again, fuck Spain, and fuck you for pushing their bullshit propaganda. Maybe that lightbulb will go off over some of you lefty's heads that this really ISN'T just about Bush ... it's about the US now that they've gone after your boy as well. Like I said ... some.

Your beloved IRC visits there almost daily,, what do they say about the "thug squad?

Ha ha ha, 'serious Spanish investigation..'

At that line, I stopped reading.

I know, right. Shouldn't there be some kind of "clean hands doctrine" at work. Or is there a time limit on the atrocities they committed?

While partisan hacks and globalists are all for this, is this what we REALLY want to allow ourselves to be subjected to? Kangaroo courts in other nations?

I'm starting to believe that maybe we should divide this nation in half. Let the apologist appeasers that want to cowtow to and whimper at world opinion have half and go their ass-kissing little way.

And I would be against ANY mutual defense treaty with the fuckers.:evil:

Was it you or Gunny that said Fuck spain?

Why did you stop reading after you read SPAIN?
Why are you always so obtuse?

It's clear as soon as 'spain' was mentioned it's a tie in to that nonsense the spanish gov threw out, about trying to indict us officials.

Part two is, a lot of you don't seem to understand, the US military (of which the Marines at camp X ray are a part of) CANNOT and WILLNOT take part in breaking regulations or the law, no 'order' could compell them to do so, and ANYONE who has served knows that such a thing could NEVER be kept secret. You'd have dozens of guys getting that info out if it happened.

A lot of people today aern't even aware that Abu graib was not exposed by some reporter, the Army itself had gotten wind of it and moved to do something about it, long before it hit the papers.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha, 'serious Spanish investigation..'

At that line, I stopped reading.

I know, right. Shouldn't there be some kind of "clean hands doctrine" at work. Or is there a time limit on the atrocities they committed?

While partisan hacks and globalists are all for this, is this what we REALLY want to allow ourselves to be subjected to? Kangaroo courts in other nations?

I'm starting to believe that maybe we should divide this nation in half. Let the apologist appeasers that want to cowtow to and whimper at world opinion have half and go their ass-kissing little way.

And I would be against ANY mutual defense treaty with the fuckers.:evil:

Well, if you had said North America, I would have said, it's already been done and the folks you describe live in a part called Canada. Maybe all that's necessary is to ship them their compatriots in thought and feeling. We might even be able to get them up to 100 million population.

Was it you or Gunny that said Fuck spain?

Why did you stop reading after you read SPAIN?
Why are you always so obtuse?

It's clear as soon as 'spain' was mentioned it's a tie in to that nonsense the spanish gov threw out, about trying to indict us officials.

Part two is, a lot of you don't seem to understand, the US military (of which the Marines at camp X ray are a part of) CANNOT and WILLNOT take part in breaking regulations or the law, no 'order' could compell them to do so, and ANYONE who has served knows that such a thing could NEVER be kept secret. You'd have dozens of guys getting that info out if it happened.

A lot of people today aern't even aware that Abu graib was not exposed by some reporter, the Army itself had gotten wind of it and moved to do something about it, long before it hit the papers.

Can US officials be indicted by an international court? We seem to think other countries leaders can be held accountable for war crimes. Are you afraid of the rest of the worlds verdict of Bush? I would have the same verdict for his entire administration. Not just impeachment, but prison time.

No, the pictures from their cameraphones were all over the internet/world when the military realized they couldn't hide it.

Forum List

Back