Yet ANOTHER shooting

U.S. Leads Richest Nations In Gun Deaths

BY CHELSEA J. CARTER
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ATLANTA -- The United States has by far the highest rate of gun deaths -- murders, suicides and accidents -- among the world's 36 richest nations, a government study found.
The U.S. rate for gun deaths in 1994 was 14.24 per 100,000 people. Japan had the lowest rate, at .05 per 100,000.
The study, done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is the first comprehensive international look at gun-related deaths. It was published Thursday in the International Journal of Epidemiology.
The CDC would not speculate why the death rates varied, but other researchers said easy access to guns and society's acceptance of violence are part of the problem in the United States.
``If you have a country saturated with guns -- available to people when they are intoxicated, angry or depressed -- it's not unusual guns will be used more often,'' said Rebecca Peters, a Johns Hopkins University fellow specializing in gun violence. ``This has to be treated as a public health emergency.''
The National Rifle Association called the study shoddy because it failed to examine all causes of violent deaths.
``What this shows is the CDC is after guns. They aren't concerned with violence. It's pretending that no homicide exists unless it's related to guns,'' said Paul Blackman, a research coordinator for the NRA in Fairfax, Va.
The 36 countries chosen were listed as the richest in the World Bank's 1994 World Development Report, with the highest GNP per capita income.
The study used 1994 statistics supplied by the 36 countries. Of the 88,649 gun deaths reported by all the countries, the United States accounted for 45 percent, said Etienne Krug, a CDC researcher and co-author of the article.
Japan, where very few people own guns, averages 124 gun-related attacks a year, and less than 1 percent end in death. Police often raid the homes of those suspected of having weapons.
The study found that gun-related deaths were five to six times higher in the Americas than in Europe or Australia and New Zealand and 95 times higher than in Asia.
Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36 richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico 12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; Finland 6.46; Switzerland 5.31; France 5.15; Canada 4.31; Norway 3.82; Austria 3.70; Portugal 3.20; Israel 2.91; Belgium 2.90; Australia 2.65; Slovenia 2.60; Italy 2.44; New Zealand 2.38; Denmark 2.09; Sweden 1.92; Kuwait 1.84; Greece 1.29; Germany 1.24; Hungary 1.11; Republic of Ireland 0.97; Spain 0.78; Netherlands 0.70; Scotland 0.54; England and Wales 0.41; Taiwan 0.37; Singapore 0.21; Mauritius 0.19; Hong Kong 0.14; South Korea 0.12; Japan 0.05.

http://www.guncite.com/cnngunde.html

U.S. Leads Richest Nations In Gun Deaths

BY CHELSEA J. CARTER
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ATLANTA -- The United States has by far the highest rate of gun deaths -- murders, suicides and accidents -- among the world's 36 richest nations, a government study found.
The U.S. rate for gun deaths in 1994 was 14.24 per 100,000 people. Japan had the lowest rate, at .05 per 100,000.
The study, done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is the first comprehensive international look at gun-related deaths. It was published Thursday in the International Journal of Epidemiology.
The CDC would not speculate why the death rates varied, but other researchers said easy access to guns and society's acceptance of violence are part of the problem in the United States.
``If you have a country saturated with guns -- available to people when they are intoxicated, angry or depressed -- it's not unusual guns will be used more often,'' said Rebecca Peters, a Johns Hopkins University fellow specializing in gun violence. ``This has to be treated as a public health emergency.''
The National Rifle Association called the study shoddy because it failed to examine all causes of violent deaths.
``What this shows is the CDC is after guns. They aren't concerned with violence. It's pretending that no homicide exists unless it's related to guns,'' said Paul Blackman, a research coordinator for the NRA in Fairfax, Va.
The 36 countries chosen were listed as the richest in the World Bank's 1994 World Development Report, with the highest GNP per capita income.
The study used 1994 statistics supplied by the 36 countries. Of the 88,649 gun deaths reported by all the countries, the United States accounted for 45 percent, said Etienne Krug, a CDC researcher and co-author of the article.
Japan, where very few people own guns, averages 124 gun-related attacks a year, and less than 1 percent end in death. Police often raid the homes of those suspected of having weapons.
The study found that gun-related deaths were five to six times higher in the Americas than in Europe or Australia and New Zealand and 95 times higher than in Asia.
Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36 richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico 12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; Finland 6.46; Switzerland 5.31; France 5.15; Canada 4.31; Norway 3.82; Austria 3.70; Portugal 3.20; Israel 2.91; Belgium 2.90; Australia 2.65; Slovenia 2.60; Italy 2.44; New Zealand 2.38; Denmark 2.09; Sweden 1.92; Kuwait 1.84; Greece 1.29; Germany 1.24; Hungary 1.11; Republic of Ireland 0.97; Spain 0.78; Netherlands 0.70; Scotland 0.54; England and Wales 0.41; Taiwan 0.37; Singapore 0.21; Mauritius 0.19; Hong Kong 0.14; South Korea 0.12; Japan 0.05.

http://www.guncite.com/cnngunde.html

and making guns illegal would make the US LEAD THE RICHEST NATIONS IN GUN DEATHS.

He said prove the NRA killed these people. Using your logic then every automaker out there is directly responsible for every person killed ot huty by automobiles. Which by the way is MORE people every year then DIE from guns.

Remind us when you are going to demand private ownership of autos be banned?

He said prove the NRA killed these people. Using your logic then every automaker out there is directly responsible for every person killed ot huty by automobiles. Which by the way is MORE people every year then DIE from guns.

That is exactly my point.

Cars are heavily regulated, and guns should be too.

I am not for eliminating guns. But I think that local background checks and banning assault rifles are a good ideas.

I definitely think women should be able to own guns. Why a man would need one is beyond me.

Cars are heavily regulated
, and guns should be too.

What? Wait ... what? You believe this? Do you even know the laws well with automobiles and guns?

Cars are heavily regulated
, and guns should be too.

What? Wait ... what? You believe this? Do you even know the laws well with automobiles and guns?

My guess would be no.

and making guns illegal would make the US LEAD THE RICHEST NATIONS IN GUN DEATHS.

Why exactly would this be the case?

How often is a murder plan foiled because the person that was to be murdered used their own gun first?

How often is a murder plan foiled because the person that was to be murdered used their own gun first?

my point was that making them illegal would do NOTHING to reduce the crime rate/gun related crime rate, because a murderer is not going to respect gun laws.

my point was that making them illegal would do NOTHING to reduce the crime rate/gun related crime rate, because a murderer is not going to respect gun laws.

I'm not so sure that would be true.

We all know the old adage "The bad guys will always find a gun" is true, but over time, if guns were illegal, there would be no market for them, and therefore there wouldn't be any guns being manufactured, nor any ammunition. Eventually, the supply would dry up and there would be fewer guns for the bad guys to get their hands on.

I'm not saying that I want guns to become illegal, but I don't really buy the notion that the gun related crime rate would continue at the same rate ad inifinitum.

We all know the old adage "The bad guys will always find a gun" is true, but over time, if guns were illegal, there would be no market for them, and therefore there wouldn't be any guns being manufactured, nor any ammunition. Eventually, the supply would dry up and there would be fewer guns for the bad guys to get their hands on.

I'm not saying that I want guns to become illegal, but I don't really buy the notion that the gun related crime rate would continue at the same rate ad inifinitum.

Well cocaine is illegal and there is most certainly a market for that.

Ya cause if the US bans private ownership of guns the WORLD will suddenly not have a need for them, US Gun makers will no longer have amarket in foreign countries and Foreign countries would stop making them. Peace would break out all over the world and we would all clasp hands and skip merrily down the lane singing happy songs...... WHAT FANTASY WORLD do you live in?

Cars are heavily regulated, and guns should be too.

I am not for eliminating guns. But I think that local background checks and banning assault rifles are a good ideas.

I definitely think women should be able to own guns. Why a man would need one is beyond me.

Are you really this stupid in real life?

I try my best to ignore you because your posts are so fucking idiotic, worse than Sealybobo's, but this just takes the cake.

Let me ask you something - if we knew a foreign country was going to invade us TOMORROW and land ground troops in YOUR city, what would you do? You'd run to your ammo store and buy up as much guns as you could. Double, maybe triple-oughts, and blast those mother fuckers back from where they came from.

Now, using that logic - there are a bunch of thugs out there that want to kill you. They want your TV, your computer, your camera, your IPod and they're willing to kill you for it. It doesn't matter what neighborhood you're in -- they're going to kill you if they can. What are you going to do? Pass a bunch of laws that say "You need to do this, that and this, make sure the moon is in the fifth quarter on the blue month, etc." or are you going to go out there and fucking grab guns?

Let me tell you why there are so many mass shootings lately: Because there are more gun laws preventing us from getting guns!

Do you know what states have the lowest number of shooting deaths per capita? The states with the least restrictive gun laws.

Fuck if anybody's going to break into my home and try rape my wife and kill my children. Fuck that. I would never let that happen. The second I get a family, I'm getting a gun. Right now I've got an 80 lb. pitbull mix that has jaws stronger than Hulk Hogan. He could crush every single bone in your hand and rip flesh from your body faster than you and Sealybobo could have a gay sex orgy.

Peace would break out all over the world and we would all clasp hands and skip merrily down the lane singing happy songs...... WHAT FANTASY WORLD do you live in?

Do you need to be a fucking ass?

Or do you just choose to be?

I notice you left out your claim and the rest of my response. You made an ignorant statement that magically because the US banned private ownership of firearms that eventually crimes with guns would go down. Using the excuse that there would be no market for guns and no guns for that market.

DO YOU routinely misinform and try to deceive?

Without getting into debates on rights and guns etc, the question we need to ask and try to answer is why do we have so many gun related deaths? There isn't a week that goes by that another tragedy for all involved does not occur. So ask the hard question WHY.

GunCite-Gun Control-International Homicide and Suicide Rates

"The study found that gun-related deaths were five to six times higher in the Americas than in Europe or Australia and New Zealand and 95 times higher than in Asia."

Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36 richest countries in 1994:

United States 14.24
Brazil 12.95
Mexico 12.69
Estonia 12.26
Argentina 8.93
Northern Ireland 6.63
Finland 6.46
Switzerland 5.31
France 5.15
Canada 4.31
Norway 3.82
Austria 3.70