Yet another child dies at the jaws of pitbulls

No bones, it is ignorant people like you who refuse to understand the danger. What's wrong bones, don't you like the truth?

From 1982 to 2006
1110 Pit bull attacks
495 Pit bull attacks on children
397 Pit bull attacks on adults
104 Pit bull attacks that caused a human DEATH
608 Pit bull attacks that caused a human MAIMING

From 1982 to 2006
409 Rottweiler attacks
231 Rottweiler attacks on children
109 Rottweiler attacks on adults
58 Rottweiler attacks that caused a human DEATH
223 Rottweiler attacks that caused a human MAIMING

From 1982 to 2006
6 Golden retriever attacks
6 Golden retriever attacks on children
0 Golden retriever attacks on adults
1 Golden retriever attacks that caused a human DEATH
4 Golden retriever attacks that caused a human MAIMING

It is sheer foolishness to encourage people to regard pit bull terriers and Rottweilers as just dogs like any other, no matter how much they may behave like other dogs under ordinary circumstances.

Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all.

what truth am i refusing to understand...that once you ban these breeds you will ban others.....

so do tell me the truth i am ignorant of?

and do answer the questions i ask...what breeds will be next?

as a doberman owner i watch and listen to what is being said...cause i see doberman's on the dangerous dog list and do not understand why....do you?

so do tell me what i am ignorant of...and answer the simple question i ask you

035.jpg

From 1982 to 2006
1110 Pit bull attacks

From 1982 to 2006
409 Rottweiler attacks

From 1982 to 2006
11 Doberman attacks
7 Doberman attacks on children
4 Doberman attacks on adults
3 Doberman attacks that caused a human DEATH
7 Doberman attacks that caused a human MAIMING

Total: 2209 1142 658 264 1323 (Attacks by all breeds September 1982 to November 13, 2006)

Total: 1519 726 506 162 831 (Pit bull terrier and Rottweiler)

Total: 69% 64% 77% 61% 63% (Percentage of attacks by Pit bull terrier and Rottweiler breed)

WHAT don't you comprehend bones? Like the author said:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all.
:eusa_eh: I have to say, I once had a rotty that was the sweetest dog on earth, would never harm anyone...not my kids, or anyone that she sensed I trusted. She scared a few people and once held someone by his wrist until I told her to drop it...but she never hurt anyone. So, I am torn here...as other people's rotties I wouldn't trust for a minute.

Their personalities and their genetics also play into it.

Big dogs are dangerous, period. People who let them run are criminal.

bf is a prime example of why large dog owners fear
'dangerous dog' lists

once you do away with pits and rotties...what breed is next?

No bones, it is ignorant people like you who refuse to understand the danger. What's wrong bones, don't you like the truth?

From 1982 to 2006
1110 Pit bull attacks

From 1982 to 2006
409 Rottweiler attacks

From 1982 to 2006

It is sheer foolishness to encourage people to regard pit bull terriers and Rottweilers as just dogs like any other, no matter how much they may behave like other dogs under ordinary circumstances.

Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

what truth am i refusing to understand...that once you ban these breeds you will ban others.....

as a doberman owner i watch and listen to what is being said...cause i see doberman's on the dangerous dog list and do not understand why....do you?

035.jpg

We should not have to ban any breed. People should be smart enough not to breed any violent breed of dog to be kept as a pet.

From 1982 to 2006
1110 Pit bull attacks

From 1982 to 2006
409 Rottweiler attacks

From 1982 to 2006

035.jpg

We should not have to ban any breed. People should be smart enough not to breed any violent breed of dog to be kept as a pet.

One more time it's not the dog it's the handler.

i know that...todays doberman is a long cry from the doberman of 20 years ago....but they are still on the dangerous dog list...people like bf will soon come after your freedom to own any animal not socially acceptable...

I don't know why you continue accusations directed at me, I didn't make up the statistics. But, the statistics are causing insurance companies to take action.

It is not about 'social acceptance', were not talking about shallow vanity issues like what color you paint your house, or how long your grass is. We are talking about social menace.

Here is more of the article I posted...

Meanwhile, because the humane community has demonstrated a profound unwillingness to recognize, accept, and respond to the need for some sort of strong breed-specific regulation to deal with pit bulls and Rottweilers, the insurance industry is doing the regulating instead, by means which include refusing to insure new shelters which accept and place pit bulls. That means a mandatory death sentence for most pit bulls, regardless of why they come to shelters. This is not a problem for older shelters, which have long established insurer relationships, but it is a hell of a problem for organizations without long histories of successful and mostly accident-free adoption, predating the present abundance of pit bulls and Rottweilers in the shelter dog population.

Individual dog owners are also getting clobbered, either with liability premiums so high that no one can afford to keep pit bulls or Rottweilers, or by inability to find an insurer willing to cover anyone who has such a dog--or any other dog breed with a bad reputation, whether or not the reputation is deserved. (Compare attacks by pit bulls with attacks by Dobermans on the chart above.) This in turn means more pit bulls, Rottweilers, et al being surrendered to shelters, when their people cannot find rental accommodations or even buy a house because of their inability to obtain liability insurance.

The humane community does not try to encourage the adoption of pumas in the same manner that we encourage the adoption of felis catus, because even though a puma can also be box-trained and otherwise exhibits much the same indoor behavior, it is clearly understood that accidents with a puma are frequently fatal.

For the same reason, it is sheer foolishness to encourage people to regard pit bull terriers and Rottweilers as just dogs like any other, no matter how much they may behave like other dogs under ordinary circumstances.

Last edited:
Bones, I can understand your fears that a zealous regulation of dangerous dogs might eventually reach dobies, but as you yourself said, they are no longer as sought-after for their ferocity. These dogs are not the overbred, anxious, unreliable dobies we sometimes saw in the 1970's.

You cannot reasonably allow your concern for what might happen to your doggie prevent you from supporting regulations against wolf hybrids, pits, rotties and those benighted Presa Canarios that are endangering my neice even as we speak.

I dunno about anyone else, but when I see such an animal at a home inside Cleveland, I only think one thing: drug dealer. I'm not terribly interested in protecting the rights of drug dealers to house animals that threaten the children in their communities.

Spot on Maddie. :thup:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Not all pitbull owners are drug dealers, but all drug dealers are pitbull owners.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Not all pitbull owners are drug dealers, but all drug dealers are pitbull owners.

Here's a remedy for that if anyone after violates a durg law they will be forbidden to own any dog. It's a whole lot harder to hide a dog than it is to hide a gun.

Last edited:

Here's a remedy for that if anyone after violates a durg law they will be forbidden to own any dog. It's a whole lot harder to hide a dog than it is to hide a gun.

What an excellent idea, bigreb!

I don't think banning animals is the way to go. I think there should be legislation perhaps restricting the humans who tend to have the dogs that kill people. People with drug convictions shouldn't be able to have big dogs.

Animal licensing and leash laws need to be inforced. Towns and cities need to regulate the dog population in their towns; if they can't afford a dog catcher, they should make it illegal to have dogs over a certain size in the city limits. Otherwise, hire someone to act as dog catcher, for pete's sakes. And cops need to take dog-at-large calls seriously and act on them, and either kill the dogs that are running, drag their owners into court, or both. It's stupendously tragic that the cops were called on the case in this thread and did NOTHING.

Pit bulls are just dogs.

Any dog that is trained to become aggresive will be dangerous.

Its not the breed folks

It is the breed. How many times have you read "Beagle kills child"? Or "Cocker Spaniel mauls senior citizen to death"?

As oft as you hear about violent gangs of White youths compared to black ones

Oh wait, that's not PC :eek:
But few, if any of them of them will maul and kill to the extent that pit bulls do.
Rotties will. So will a Doberman.

It's kinda what they've been bred for.

Pit bulls are just dogs.

Any dog that is trained to become aggresive will be dangerous.

Its not the breed folks

I disagree, pit bulls have genetic tendancies to be agressive.
Just like some breeds have tendancies to hunt birds or herd animals.

So... now we're all admitting that sociobiology and evolutionary psychology are valid and genetics can cause one population or another to be more inclined towards violent behavior?

Forum List

Back