Yet another child dies at the jaws of pitbulls

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Deadly pit bull attack to likely prompt charges; law changes | WCNC.com | Charlotte News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | WCNC.com | News for Charlotte, NC

Greg Kearney won't forget his Wednesday morning trip to the mailbox anytime soon.

“I heard a woman screaming loudly,” he says.

The screaming was coming from 67-year-old Nancy Presson, as she was trying desperately to save her granddaughter, 5-year-old Mikayla Woodard from the jaws of two pit bulls.

The little girl died in the ambulance and her grandmother has what has been described as "serious lacerations" on her hand, wrist and arm.

“She was screaming very loudly several times I knew something bad happened, a bad situation, Kearney says.

He says he's seen the dogs roaming the streets before and worried that something like this could happen.

“It did because of pit bulls reputation,” he explains. “It did worry me, I stayed away from them.”

Pit bulls are just dogs.

Any dog that is trained to become aggresive will be dangerous.

Its not the breed folks

Holy crap, I actually agree with truthmatters on something.

My sister had 2 pitbulls, only things they fought were each other (until one had to be put down at age 11 due to heart issues)

I have know many a pitbull that were complete sweathearts I would allow any child to play with.

• Banned
An improperly trained pitbull is more dangerous than virtually any other improperly trained breed.

That is a fact.

Pit Bull Fact vs. Legend some myths about Pit Bulls:

Is it true that Pit Bulls can lock their jaw?
The infamous locking jaw is a myth. The American Pit Bull Terrier and related breeds are physiologically no different from any other breed of dog

No intelligent parent would leave any child unsupervised with any dog. Dogs are not human, even the most docile dog can snap.

An improperly trained pitbull is more dangerous than virtually any other improperly trained breed.

That is a fact.

Present your evidence

"Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities." (Sacks JJ, Sinclair L, Gilchrist J, Golab GC, Lockwood R. Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998. JAVMA 2000;217:836-840.)

source

Table 1—Breeds of dogs involved in human dog bite-related fatalities (DBRF) in the United States, by 2-year period, between 1979 and

1998. Death-based approach of counting most frequent purebreds and crossbreds involved in 7 or more human DBRF

Purebred
Pit bull-type 2 5 10 9 11* 8 6 5 4* 6 66
Rottweiler 0 0 1 1 3 1 3 10 10 10 39
German Shepherd Dog 2 1 4* 1 1 4* 2 0 2 0 17
Husky-type 2 1 2 2 0 2 2 1 2 1 15
Malamute 2 0 3 1 0 2 3 1 0 0 12
Doberman Pinscher 0 1 0 2 2 2 1 0 0 1 9
Chow Chow 0 1 0 0 0 2 3 0 2 0 8
Great Dane 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 7
Saint Bernard 1 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 7
Crossbred
Wolf-dog hybrid 0 1 1 2 1 4 1 2 2 0 14
Mixed-breed 0 3 1 2 1 2 0 1 1 1 12
German Shepherd Dog 0 2 0 2 2 2† 0 1 2 0 10†
Pit bull-type 0 1 0 3 2† 3 1 1 0 0 10†
Husky-type 0 1 1 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 6
Rottweiler 0 0 0 0 1† 1 0 1 1 2 5†
Alaskan Malamute 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 3
Chow Chow 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 3
Doberman Pinscher 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
Saint Bernard 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
Great Dane 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1† 0†
No. deaths for which 10 20 26* 24 22 34* 24 25 26* 27 238

source --it's WAY easier to read than the above.

FYIO Pittbulls TOP THE LIST every year for the the 11 years these statistics were compiled.

The evidence is very clear that of all breeds of dogs PITTBULLS are by far and away, the most dangerous breed of dogs to humans,

You me and proably everbody else knows some sweetheart pittbull.

And they are a sweet breed usually, too...until they're not

No intelligent parent would leave any child unsupervised with any dog. Dogs are not human, even the most docile dog can snap.

Agreed.

However, when most other dogs 'snap' that usually means a quick bite to let the child know they don't appreciate whatever they were doing. When a pitbull 'snaps' it doesn't stop until someone stops it or it's victim is lying dead in a pool of their own blood.

I wonder what Michael Vick thinks when he reads this story.

He either thinks...

"If only I was there! I could have killed that dog and saved the girl!"

or...

"I got to get me that dog! He could make me millions!"

I wonder what Michael Vick thinks when he reads this story.

He either thinks...

"If only I was there! I could have killed that dog and saved the girl!"

or...

"I got to get me that dog! He could make me millions!"

Since he's clearly reformed, I'd guess the former. :D

Pit bulls are just dogs.

Any dog that is trained to become aggresive will be dangerous.

Its not the breed folks

It is the breed. How many times have you read "Beagle kills child"? Or "Cocker Spaniel mauls senior citizen to death"?

And after nearly every local pit bull attack I've read the owners always say, "We never trained him to be aggressive" or "He's never done that before".

Many dog breeds bite, that's a fact. But few, if any of them of them will maul and kill to the extent that pit bulls do.

Its how they are trained

Absolutely true!

But, with dogs like Pit Bulls, once they go into the "Red Zone" it's all but impossible to bring them back to a calm submissive state.

And sadly, too many inexperienced dog owners get these dogs (for whatever reason) and don't know how to handle them.

Forum List

Back