Yet again another embarrassing moment for the US

Sail Away

Jan 14, 2011
Quite frankly I get more and more embarrassed being an American every year. The concept of sensationalizing the death of a federal judge and the near death of a congress woman, when 18 other people were shot or killed is insane. Could someone tell me what makes the life of an individual holding a public office so much important than anyone else? If public servants are so sacred, why do we send many of them to their deaths in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Syria, Djibouti and Somalia?

I believe this man gets it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps this was close to sensationalizing, but the country was mourning with these families. The real question is why don't we do that for the true heroes that give up their lives overseas in harms way? There ae just too many and people would claim that would be political.

So we must honor them anyway everyday in our prayers. And that is not sensationalizing.

Mourning not only our oversees "heroes" but for the ten of thousands of foreign deaths that we are responsible for would be a good idea. It would raise public awareness.

Mourning not only our oversees "heroes" but for the ten of thousands of foreign deaths that we are responsible for would be a good idea. It would raise public awareness.

If you are embarassed by your country find another. It's just that simple. Sail away sounds like a good plan.

If you want to pique public awareness, ya' gotta us terms like "communist"..."marxist"...or, the new bogeyman; "terrorist".....ALL brought-to-you (more-often-than-not) by Corporate America!!

(Some Deaths take a little-longer, than others....)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMB9Z4t5Xc&feature=related[/ame]​

Last edited:
Quite frankly I get more and more embarrassed being an American every year. The concept of sensationalizing the death of a federal judge and the near death of a congress woman, when 18 other people were shot or killed is insane. Could someone tell me what makes the life of an individual holding a public office so much important than anyone else? If public servants are so sacred, why do we send many of them to their deaths in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Syria, Djibouti and Somalia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPCdgD4ygvI

for some reason most Americans seem to be big time into hero worship.
If not a politician it is a sports figure or sitcom show star or even a race car driver.
I am not sure why we do this so much. Perhaps if wee had a royal family to worship this perverse craving would be sated?
I honestly do not know since whatevwer makes people that way is thankfully missing from me.
I have no heroes.

If you are embarassed by your country find another. It's just that simple. Sail away sounds like a good plan.

When, people like me leave, who will pay taxes so government interest only debt payments?

If not a politician it is a sports figure or sitcom show star or even a race car driver.
I am not sure why we do this so much. Perhaps if wee had a royal family to worship this perverse craving would be sated?
I honestly do not know since whatevwer makes people that way is thankfully missing from me.
I have no heroes.

Agreed to the fullest. IHO the whole political/military hero thing as a fascist attribute. I see the life of the 9 year old girl every bit as important.

I have issues with people who will always focus on the "embarrassments" of this great nation, yet they will turn a blind eye to the great things this nation has accomplished and the charity this nation has given to countries that are less fortunate than ours. No country is perfect, but this country is far and away better than any other on Earth. For once....try focusing on that and just maybe you won't be so "embarrassed" when it doesn't live up to your expectations.

I find it quite heartening that these events are so rare that they garner such attention.

Of course, the focus was going to be on Giffords. She is a member of our Congress and was the primary target. It had nothing to do with 'importance'... it was because she was the target.

If you want to pique public awareness, ya' gotta us terms like "communist"..."marxist"...or, the new bogeyman; "terrorist".....ALL brought-to-you (more-often-than-not) by Corporate America!!

(Some Deaths take a little-longer, than others....)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMB9Z4t5Xc&feature=related[/ame]​

Funny video, thanks.

I have issues with people who will always focus on the "embarrassments" of this great nation, yet they will turn a blind eye to the great things this nation has accomplished and the charity this nation has given to countries that are less fortunate than ours. No country is perfect, but this country is far and away better than any other on Earth. For once....try focusing on that and just maybe you won't be so "embarrassed" when it doesn't live up to your expectations.

Unfortunately, I can't bury my head in the sand. This has gotten out of hand. The political leadership that has attributed our government morphing into a plutocracy that is bankrupting this "great nation", moreover it's people. Those who lead us along this path to bankruptcy are not heroes. The true heroes will be the people will have to endure the emanate mass austerity, sovereign default or currency devaluation. The true heroes will be ones that bear the burden of 40 years of political discourse.

When the embarrassments are out-weighing the accomplishments, one should take notice and remove their head from the sand.

I have no heroes.

I wonder if you would change your mind if you stayed with the soldiers in Aghanistan for a year. I do appreciate the rest of your post. But soldiers are the exception. Just a difference in opinion.

Unfortunately, I can't bury my head in the sand. This has gotten out of hand. The political leadership that has attributed our government morphing into a plutocracy that is bankrupting this "great nation", moreover it's people. Those who lead us along this path to bankruptcy are not heroes. The true heroes will be the people will have to endure the emanate mass austerity, sovereign default or currency devaluation. The true heroes will be ones that bear the burden of 40 years of political discourse.

When the embarrassments are out-weighing the accomplishments, one should take notice and remove their head from the sand.

So, which country do you admire? Do you approve of Greece, France, oh that's right, they are rioting over there. Stop with the heroes, and btw, they sure aren't the people. Look who they voted in for president. Some one who's mentor hated America, friend blew up Federal buildings, resume exemplified no experience except Acorn organizer and a Jr. Senator...The heroes we are...right.

Finally it took ineptness in leadership for the people to come to their senses and see that our country was going in the wrong direction and a crisis wasn't being handled properly. Now we have acted and hope that it will turn around. We pray that it will turn around.

But in the meantime, the people who have no option but to take what comes but to keep a watchful eye on our representatives which they are now doing. When they start voting not as sheeple or party distinction, then I'll believe it was the people who turned this country around..not until then will I call them heroes.

Forum List

Back