Yesterday My New Career In Metal-Detecting Began....

I've had a recurring dream over the past few months that I was using a metal-detector in the sand of a volleyball court at a local park. I kept unearthing the same diamond ring worth thousands of dollars! So I bought myself a Bounty Hunter metal detector and sand scoop and set out to make my dream come true. All I found were 2 old nickels and a rusty pair of pliers. :cry:

Will I give up? NO! :eusa_naughty: I got a few faint hits that I need a pointer for....it looks like a flashlight but is much more sensitive than the wand. When you get a hit off the big unit, you poke around with the pointer....it goes nuts beeping when it's close to your objective and you dig it out. So I got on Amazon (I hate Bezos but what's a fella to do?) and snagged a pointer...not the expensive Garrett but one that got a few good reviews for half the price. It will be here in a few days and I'll return to the sand pit of my dreams....here's what I hope to find....wish me luck!

maxresdefault.jpg

Btw those wand pointers are not that good my old company had one to find metal in recycled plastic you kind of had to get right on top of it..

Btw those wand pointers are not that good my old company had one to find metal in recycled plastic you kind of had to get right on top of it..

The Garrett is world-class as is their entire product line. I thought about going full-tilt boogie and buying the best stuff but then I realized getting skunked a few times might bring my interest to an end. So I went with a well-respected Bounty Hunter model I could use the first day without having to dial the thing in like you have to do with a Garrett. The pointer I got is supposed to do a reasonable job and last a long time so I figured another $60 invested in my venture was a sound idea. If I find a thousand dollar ring, I'm playing with house money for the rest of my time doing it.

Last edited:
Think old places, the yards of really old homes or farms.

Those places are good for coin-shooting....I'm more interested in finding gold jewelry or maybe gold nuggets around the old placer mine tailings in the Prescott, Arizona area. I'm using a setting that ignores literally everything but gold and nickel but will alert on large objects. At this point it's a matter of learning the meaning of the different tones it makes. And not looking like some oddball....I won't wear headphones or hunt where a lot of people are around. One peculiar thing happened my first day.....a woman was walking through the park staring at me and then an hour later she came back from the other direction doing it again. Makes me wonder if she knows of something stashed around where I was...not sure what I'll do if I run across a hidden drug or stolen goods cache....call the cops I guess.

Last edited:

The Garrett is world-class as is their entire product line. I thought about going full-tilt boogie and buying the best stuff but then I realized getting skunked a few times might bring my interest to an end. So I went with a well-respected Bounty Hunter model I could use the first day without having to dial the thing in like you have to do with a Garrett. The pointer I got is supposed to do a reasonable job and last a long time so I figured another $60 invested in my venture was a sound idea. If I find a thousand dollar ring, I'm playing with house money for the rest of my time doing it.

I would ask you for a link but then again I am smart enough to look it up myself, I don't get how a little hand held wand in your hand could penetrate soil if your walking around and not on your knees.

Think old places, the yards of really old homes or farms.

Those places are good for coin-shooting....I'm more interested in finding gold jewelry or maybe gold nuggets around the old placer mine tailings in the Prescott, Arizona area. I'm using a setting that ignores literally everything but gold and nickel but will alert on large objects. At this point it's a matter of learning the meaning of the different tones it makes. And not looking like some oddball....I won't wear headphones or hunt where a lot of people are around. One peculiar thing happened my first day.....a woman was walking through the park staring at me and then an hour later she came back from the other direction doing it again. Makes me wonder if she knows of something stashed around where I was...not sure what I'll do if I run across a hidden drug or stolen goods cache....call the cops I guess.
Arizona? You looking for that legend of the burried loot?

Last edited:

The Dutchman's mine?
lol.gif
Nah, the Superstitions are a very dangerous area...always have been. Prospectors go in don't come back, searchers go in, don't come back. Rough country, deranged hermits, rattlers, no water...no thanks.

Don't forget about meteorites! Even the small ones get 40 or 50 bucks at the Gem Show.

Capital idea...the Sonoran Desert is littered with meteorites if you know where to look....a big one is worth a fortune....thanks for the tip....I believe I know an area that some have been found.

The Dutchman's mine?
lol.gif
Nah, the Superstitions are a very dangerous area...always have been. Prospectors go in don't come back, searchers go in, don't come back. Rough country, deranged hermits, rattlers, no water...no thanks.

Yea I read about it so much when I lived there, dangerous as heck

I would ask you for a link but then again I am smart enough to look it up myself, I don't get how a little hand held wand in your hand could penetrate soil if your walking around and not on your knees.

You sweep across an area with the detector until you get a consistent beep and then probe around in the dig with the pointer.

61wpTuUbzzL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073XYQSWP/?tag=ff0d01-20

Oh I get it you use both...that makes sense.

Don't forget about meteorites! Even the small ones get 40 or 50 bucks at the Gem Show.

Capital idea...the Sonoran Desert is littered with meteorites if you know where to look....a big one is worth a fortune....thanks for the tip....I believe I know an area that some have been found.
I know a guy who has made a nice living for himself finding, buying and selling meteorites. He doesn't rock hound much anymore and is more of a trader now but the guy makes bank and hasn't had a real job in forever.

Forum List

Back