CDZ Yes or no....should a Porch Pirate's victim be prosecuted if

He places rigged packages on his porch that have a harmless boom mechanism built into them to scare off the scum bag thieves who do this thing in the first place?

I watched a Hilarious news piece the other day of a guy who had so many of his packages stolen that he started making boom boxes that exploded when lifted and carried for a short distance. He had this on his home surveillance footage and I'm telling you it was a scream. It was all pressurized air and confetti for the most part...pretty much harmless.

But let's say the porch pirate had a weak heart and died from fright due to the attempted theft....is the householder criminally responsible for this?

Yes or no?

JO
No, definitely not.

This is why Amazon deliverers now take a photo of the box on your porch before they leave. To prove they actually delivered it before the porch pirates get it.

You can opt to have all packages you've ordered that week delivered on a given day. That would be a good option for people who live in theft-prone areas.

Also motion-activated video cameras that film any activity on your porch or in the front yard. I've read you end up filming a surprising amount of wildlife that way, but it would identify the porch pirate.

All good points.
Except for the videoing part. Cops wont do shit even with video evidence.

so go ahead and have fun but remember, if the pirate has a heart attack and dies, you could be up on murder charges

What if the item he's stealing is too heavy and he has a heart attack?
Am I liable because a 20 lb package caused cardiac arrest?

What's the criminal intent on your part here? ... I'm talking about setting booby traps and why it's illegal ... what are you talking about? ...

What's the criminal intent on your part here? ..

Setting off a "boom" box involves criminal intent?

Getting out of that is as easy as saying it was intended to scare your Wife until some dipshit stole it.

so go ahead and have fun but remember, if the pirate has a heart attack and dies, you could be up on murder charges

What's the criminal intent on your part here? ... I'm talking about setting booby traps and why it's illegal ... what are you talking about? ...

Why is your 20 lbs package going boom? ... you didn't say anything about going boom in your question, it's just a box of books or whatever ... now it's 20 lbs of dynamite on your front porch triggered to blow up whoever touches it? ... that's a wealth of felonies if it works ... even if it's intended for your wife ... damn liberals ...

Why is your 20 lbs package going boom? ... you didn't say anything about going boom in your question, it's just a box of books or whatever ... now it's 20 lbs of dynamite on your front porch triggered to blow up whoever touches it? ... that's a wealth of felonies if it works ...

Why is your 20 lbs package going boom?

It's not. Why is a box that goes boom "proof of criminal intent"?

The best prank packages is this.

The original video was funny as fuck. That one black dude who opened the box and was like what?? Then VROOOM! That thing started spinning and threw glitter everywhere the next part of the video you see him vacuuming up the mess in his house.

Why is a box that goes boom "proof of criminal intent"?

Generally speaking, here in the United States it is illegal ... also, here committing a crime is proof of intent ... this isn't hard to figure out ... if you intentionally put a boom box on your front porch, and it's illegal to put a boom box on your front porch, then clearly you intended to break the law ...

ETA: Major redactions, noticed the "clean debate zone" tag ... my humble apologies ...

Last edited:

Generally speaking, here in the United States it is illegal ... also, here committing a crime is proof of intent ... this isn't hard to figure out ... if you intentionally put a boom box on your front porch, and it's illegal to put a boom box on your front porch, then clearly you intended to break the law ...

ETA: Major redactions, noticed the "clean debate zone" tag ... my humble apologies ...

Generally speaking, here in the United States it is illegal ...

Link?

Link?

Booby Traps are Illegal

Perhaps the most important reason to avoid an attempt to trap a burglar is the fact that it is illegal. ... In essence, if you set-up such a trap to protect your property from intruders, you will be liable for any injury or death even to an unwanted intruder such as a burglar.

Why You Shouldn't Set Traps for Burglars | Protect America

A box set up to explode in any fashion would fall under the "booby trap" law. In fact, I had problems with someone bashing my mailbox with a baseball bat. I wanted to get back at them so I was going to get a mailbox, fill it full of concrete and set it out there. Let them hit that. Good chance they'd get hurt. And I found out, good chance I'd get sued. Why? Because a mailbox full of concrete is no longer a functioning mailbox and is thus a booby trap to anyone hitting it. The cops told me if the guy hits that mailbox and gets hurt you will be sued because it's no longer a mailbox. Basically the guy expects it to be an empty mailbox when he hits it with a bat. But when he hits it and its full of concrete and gets hurt, thats considered a booby trap.

I don't agree with this shit but it's the law.

Last edited:

Link?

Booby Traps are Illegal

Perhaps the most important reason to avoid an attempt to trap a burglar is the fact that it is illegal. ... In essence, if you set-up such a trap to protect your property from intruders, you will be liable for any injury or death even to an unwanted intruder such as a burglar.

Why You Shouldn't Set Traps for Burglars | Protect America

A box set up to explode in any fashion would fall under the "booby trap" law. In fact, I had problems with someone bashing my mailbox with a baseball bat. I wanted to get back at them so I was going to get a mailbox, fill it full of concrete and set it out there. Let them hit that. Good chance they'd get hurt. And I found out, good chance I'd get sued. Why? Because a mailbox full of concrete is no longer a functioning mailbox and is thus a booby trap to anyone hitting it. The cops told me if the guy hits that mailbox and gets hurt you will be sued because it's no longer a mailbox. Basically the guy expects it to be an empty mailbox when he hits it with a bat. But when he hits it and its full of concrete and gets hurt, thats considered a booby trap.

I don't agree with this shit but it's the law.

A box making a loud noise isn't a booby trap.

He places rigged packages on his porch that have a harmless boom mechanism built into them to scare off the scum bag thieves who do this thing in the first place?

I watched a Hilarious news piece the other day of a guy who had so many of his packages stolen that he started making boom boxes that exploded when lifted and carried for a short distance. He had this on his home surveillance footage and I'm telling you it was a scream. It was all pressurized air and confetti for the most part...pretty much harmless.

But let's say the porch pirate had a weak heart and died from fright due to the attempted theft....is the householder criminally responsible for this?

Yes or no?

JO

depends on the nature of the explosive.

Yes or no?

JO
I rule "no"...

A box making a loud noise isn't a booby trap.

Then go for it, buck-o ... defense attorneys run about $300/hr for you ... have fun beating the rap ...

For those of us who can't afford lawyers ... put up "LONG LIVE the NRA" posters in your windows ...

"We will show that the loud noise he heard during his felony caused the death of the criminal...err...the robber...err...the fat fuck...err...the fine upstanding young man, not the 25 years of butter and fried chicken he ate"

You learned your litigation skills from TV or something? ... go ahead and tell the fat fuck judge the victim was a fat fuck ... see how long you spend in jail for contempt of court ...

Katko vs. Briney, 183 N.W.2d 657 (Iowa 1971) ...

You learned your litigation skills from TV or something? ... go ahead and tell the fat fuck judge the victim was a fat fuck ... see how long you spend in jail for contempt of court ...

Katko vs. Briney, 183 N.W.2d 657 (Iowa 1971) ...

I agree, the prosecutor screwed up in his opening statement.

Forum List

Back