Yes, Newt, When Hell Freezes Over

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Wouldn't it be great if politics in 2007 was about positive, bipartisan solutions for the country?

Is This Really How You Want to Spend 2007?
By Newt Gingrich, Human Events
January 22, 2007

...I've long argued that almost two years is too long for a presidential campaign. But if all these bright, talented politicians can't be persuaded to put off their presidential ambitions for a year, then they should be persuaded to spend this extra year of campaigning in a way that would do some good: by focusing on positive, bipartisan solutions for the country rather then negative, one-sided, attack politics.

Let's make 2007 a year of solutions and dialogue and leave the ambition and debate for 2008. But what does this mean in practice? It means candidates of different parties should appear together -- on the same stage -- to discuss solutions for America's challenges. Just being in the same room with members of the other party would take 75 percent of the poison out of the process and force the candidates to focus on serving all Americans rather then pandering to a narrow slice of the country.

http://www.humanevents.com/winningthefuture.php?id=19066

Well this explains why Newt isn't campaigning yet. He is right too. 2 years is too much. i could understand them announcing in the summer but right after the 2006 elections? come on guys.

Newt is a very articulate and intelligent man. I think he is someone to watch despite any skeletons in his closet.

Well this explains why Newt isn't campaigning yet. He is right too. 2 years is too much. i could understand them announcing in the summer but right after the 2006 elections? come on guys.

Newt is a very articulate and intelligent man. I think he is someone to watch despite any skeletons in his closet.

Yep, I heard him last week saying he'd announce after Labor Day, IF he felt that there wasn't any discussion going on about the issues that face the nation. IF he's able to add to the discussion without running, he won't. He recognizes his negatives and holds no illusions about being elected.

Yep, I heard him last week saying he'd announce after Labor Day, IF he felt that there wasn't any discussion going on about the issues that face the nation. IF he's able to add to the discussion without running, he won't. He recognizes his negatives and holds no illusions about being elected.

That is exactly one of the reasons I would seriously consider him.

More on Gingrich, from a 'thinker':

http://www.danieldrezner.com/archives/003120.html

... In other words, in Gingrich's world consumer health care should look more like Travelocity....

For the next nine months Gingrich intends to promote sweeping solutions to difficult issues of the day - particularly health care and national security - and then, like Lincoln in 1860, see if the call comes.

While such other GOP candidates as Senator John McCain, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, and former New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani are hiring consultants and building donor networks, Gingrich has formed a tax-exempt advocacy group to raise money and promote his policies. He will wait until September - the eve of primary season - to announce whether he has the support to make it official.​

Gingrich intrigues me -- he's far more complex and interesting a thinker than the nineties stereotype of him suggested. And if Hillary Clinton can remake herself as someone who's learned from past mistakes, I see no reason why Gingrich can't as well.

However, I can't shake the feeling that because I'm so interested in a Gingrich, he's doomed to fail. Can someone who scores well in the blogger wonk demographic really develop mainstream appeal?

Readers, help me out here.
posted by Dan on 01.24.07 at 03:26 PM

New Topics

Forum List

Back