Yemeni Regime falling- President seaches for negotiated Exit

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
So, Yemen, a place where in we have long standing ongoing genuine national security (self) interests and investments the president ( Saleh) , has been trying to negotiate a way out after having several major units defect from his army to the 'other side', whatever that other side is, it appears the other side is, well, being known to, or having declared opposition to Saleh......we really don't know anything about the other sides motives because we have been side tracked over the last several weeks by Libya, a place I might add that does not require nor have we invested in an ongoing Nat. Security self interest and investment.

I am almost tempted to believe that Obama purposely got involved with the Libya, (which is by far the easiest, simplest situation to handle), so as to deflect and detract, shooting his load so to speak, knowing that he simply cannot construct any scenario where in he would get even a modicum of coalition or homegrown sppt. that he would need to employ ala Bahrain or Yemen, no matter how comparably more important they are to sleepy Libya.

He is thereby avoiding the really hard choices and infinitely more difficult footwork that those 2 nations demand politically and diplomatically.

In either case, he has displayed horrible judgment.

Yemen President Saleh's regime near falling
Press Trust Of India
Posted on Mar 21, 2011 at 06:32pm IST

Dubai: Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh's 32-year-old iron fisted rule appeared to be tottering on Monday after three army generals, including his longtime confidant, defected, asking him to step down and deployed tanks and armoured vehicles to protect the protesters.

Maj Gen Ali Mohsen Saleh, who belongs to President's influential 'Hashid' tribe and is commander of the army's powerful 1st Armoured Division, publicly announced his defection, al Jazeera reported.

Simultaneously with defections in the army, al Jazeera said the governor of Yemen's southern province of Aden, Ahmad Qaatabi, had also joined the protesters.

Yemen President Saleh's regime near falling - World News - IBNLive

don't you get bored always blaming the president for what he does; for what he doesn't do; for the way he talks; for being elected.... ...

and so on and so on and shoobie doobie doobie...

Sitting on the sidelines munching on peanuts and criticizing the folks actually in the action is normal human reaction and has been since the days of Rome when people made catcalls at the gladiators.

And of course, the praise of the mob is equally undeserved.

Obama makes jokes easier than plaudits. The whole conflagration in the mid east over this winter would try the greatest intelligence. In the future, wise historians will review what Obama has done this winter, and do almost anything else.

don't you get bored always blaming the president for what he does; for what he doesn't do; for the way he talks; for being elected.... ...

:lol:
Says the #1 Bush basher.
Doesn't the hypocrisy finally become so apparent that you can't pull it off anymore ?

I believe if there is a change in government in Yemen it will be anti-western and allied with Iran. It would be a blow to our war against terrorism since this is one place where they have been training and it also poses some problems with the anti-piracy operations in the area. IT could also pose problems for the Saudi's to the north and Omani's to the East, the 2 countries who have a physical border with them.

I doubt you will see a democratic government there!

I think a case can be made to back up my analysis and unless you have not noticed I am FAR from alone, even from the side of the number line that he usually calls his base. ...in fact, I have given him props on occasion as well.I don't recall any ad hominem from you then......;)

I am of course always willing, unlike you apparently, to discuss it on its merits and will entertain any sensible back and forth ....thx for dropping by though.

:eusa_eh:the way he talks? :rolleyes:...

and the beat goes on. THIS is where we should be focusing our attention ( and Bahrain).

Anyway, I guess the " Kinetic Military Action" ( the up and coming euphemism they are floating, borrowed from... wait for it......Rumsfeld :lol:) in Libya has their hands full.

Opposition, pro-regime clashes in Yemen
Published: March. 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM

SANAA, Yemen, March 24 (UPI) -- Opposition fighters in Yemen clashed with government forces in the east of the country as London said it pulled most of its staff out of the country.

Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh is clinging to power as calls for his resignation mount. Saleh declared a state of emergency Wednesday though clashes erupted in the east of the country by Thursday, al-Jazeera reports.

Opposition groups continue to dismiss Saleh's concessions and tribal groups announced Thursday they were backing the anti-government movement, a move echoed by many of the country's top generals.

snip-

Meanwhile, authorities in Dubai said they intercepted about 16,000 pistols headed to Yemen from Turkey.

Read more: Opposition, pro-regime clashes in Yemen - UPI.com

The real key piece is Syria. Putting the area in terms of Chess, Libya and Yemen are like rooks in the chess game that is taking place in the region. Egypt (a Bishop) has already fallen, Syria (Another bishop) is starting to feel the uprisings. (Do we send in airstrikes there if the Army starts killing Syrians?) The other 2 major pieces are Saudi Arabia (the King) and Iran (the Queen.) Jordan and Lebanon are knights, while Kuwait, Bahrain and Morocco and the other principalities are the equivalent of pawns.

That is the pecking order of importance and it begs the question, "In the end will all of them fall?" Remember the war in Southeast Asia and the talk about Vietnam becoming the first domino to fall? Is this what we are seeing here. Back then we had three major powers vying for power and providing support. Today the only major power is us and we are rudderless on a violent and turbulent sea. We have no direction, no sense of purpose and the last time this happened was during the Carter years when Iran and Central America became hotbeds of revolt.

The real key piece is Syria. Putting the area in terms of Chess, Libya and Yemen are like rooks in the chess game that is taking place in the region. Egypt (a Bishop) has already fallen, Syria (Another bishop) is starting to feel the uprisings. (Do we send in airstrikes there if the Army starts killing Syrians?) The other 2 major pieces are Saudi Arabia (the King) and Iran (the Queen.) Jordan and Lebanon are knights, while Kuwait, Bahrain and Morocco and the other principalities are the equivalent of pawns.

That is the pecking order of importance and it begs the question, "In the end will all of them fall?" Remember the war in Southeast Asia and the talk about Vietnam becoming the first domino to fall? Is this what we are seeing here. Back then we had three major powers vying for power and providing support. Today the only major power is us and we are rudderless on a violent and turbulent sea. We have no direction, no sense of purpose and the last time this happened was during the Carter years when Iran and Central America became hotbeds of revolt.

I like your analogy; I would add Hezbollah as an Iranian rook. ;)

Assad's daddy killed upwards of 20,000 people in Hama in when the Muslim Brotherhood fostered a revolt. If the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, he won't budge and it doesn't appear he will.

In fact NOW would be a great time for the UN to publish its report on the hariri assassination which would finger hezbollah and syria....but it appears they have been intimidated by hezbollah.

as far our answer-
US in new condemnation of Syria protests

(AFP) – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — The United States on Thursday issued a new condemnation of Syria's "brutal repression" of demonstrations and killings of civilians and also hit out at the arrest of rights activists.

"The United States strongly condemns the Syrian government's brutal repression of demonstrations, in particular the violence and killings of civilians at the hands of security forces," said White House spokesman Jay Carney.

"We reject the use of violence under any circumstances. We are also deeply troubled by the arbitrary arrests of human rights activists and others.

"Those responsible for the violence must be held accountable. The United States stands for a set of universal rights, including the freedom of expression and peaceful assembly, and believes that governments must be responsive to the legitimate aspirations of their people.

more at
AFP: US in new condemnation of Syria protests

well, bush had pulled our Ambassador due to Syrian in 2005 malfeasance in Lebanon (the hariri assassination) and its sppt. for the iraqi insurgency. Obama sent in robert ford in a recess appt. against advise from some notable diplomats, in that it would just encourage Syria to continue to misbehave. well? here we are. they have no reason to listen to a word we say.

The problem that existed back in the early 60's is worse, we know which way they would fall, but they weren't infused with external terrorist dogma ( jihad etc.) or machinations, here, we may gain a friend ( which I find doubtful frankly) so the problem as you sat still exists as to dominos, will any of them fall on our side?

Apparently Saleh is out in Yemen, its all over but the actual flight to the Riviera, and he was somewhat friendly to us, better than we will wind up with I think.

heres some interesting tidbits form a wapo article;

snip-
Whoever replaces Saleh will inherit a country on the brink of becoming a failed state. There is a secessionist movement in the south. Pirates roam its waters. A rebellion in the north has been a proxy fight between Iran and Saudi Arabia. Half of Yemen’s citizens are illiterate. A third are unemployed. Drinking water is scarce, yet the population is growing at one of the fastest clips in the world, far outpacing the government’s ability to provide even the most basic services. Half the country lacks toilets.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/with_.../03/22/ABMQM1AB_story.html?wprss=rss_politics

They have been ripe and are ripe for some serious T infestation.

.....from the LA Times-

snip-
Yemen strategically borders the Red Sea, the Gulf of Aden and Saudi Arabia. If Saleh is overthrown, civil wars could erupt in both the north and south, the Saudis would be rattled and possibly intervene militarily, Iran would almost surely exploit the chaos and the U.S. would be dealt a major setback in containing Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, an entrenched terrorist affiliate.

Yemen protests: Yemen President Ali Abdullah Saleh's ouster could cause problems - latimes.com

Once again the sheep come to the defence of Obama.
Trajan touches on a deadly serious situation that WAAAAAAY supercedes the juvenile "Obama's bad vs. Obama's great" ongoing nonsense.
As I read 2 of the 3 greatest likelihood candidates to take Saleh's place are downright Al/Q supporters, one of them publicly called Al/Q "pioneers in the Islamic faith".
Losing the embedded Yemeni intelligence is losing the ONLY intelligence in the entire region that has proven to be both accurate and critical.
This could be devastating, as in - resulting in another 9/11 type terrorist plot on Western soil.

Like Obama or not - it is apparent to ANYONE that we do not have a leader in the oval office. Defending/supporting Yemen is at least 1,000 times more important than wasting $100's millions tossing missiles in Libya on a fake "humanity" cause....please.

Forum List

Back