Yelp etc. ratings suck.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Time after time we go to a supposedly high rated local restaurant when traveling, and the food sucks.
This time it was an Italian place, 3rd generation owners. Surely it is at least decent.... wrong.
Yelp etc. need to be disbanded. There is no f*cking way this place, like many others gets all these 5 star ratings.

Time after time we go to a supposedly high rated local restaurant when traveling, and the food sucks.
This time it was an Italian place, 3rd generation owners. Surely it is at least decent.... wrong.
Yelp etc. need to be disbanded. There is no f*cking way this place, like many others gets all these 5 star ratings.
I agree. Yelp is trash. You can’t make a decision until you go to a place yourself. Collectivey, humans are profoundly stupid and Yelp is an example.

I use Yelp quite a lot, both for getting ratings for my business, and rating businesses I use.

What I've found is the companies that I rate highly, and other people do,too. Companies I take a dump on usually have a lot of other bad ratings.

Now, two caveats, and that is what ratings Yelp allows to go through.

I currently have 7 reviews on yelp, but only four are recommended, because three of the reviewers don't use Yelp often enough to be rated reviewers.

Meanwhile,I've seen when comanies get in the news, like the dentist who shot the lion or some business that won't serve gay folks, a lot of negative reviews from people who don't live in the same community pop up.. and Yelp should know better and only makes a half-hearted effort to clean them up.

I feel the same way about Rotten Tomatoes ratings. They haven't been right about a movie I've watched yet.

yeah, but reading your posts, that's more you than them.

Heh heh. Reading my posts, you might learn something.

Matter of fact, I'll go check out your posts to see what kind of statist wisdom you're espousing.

I use Yelp quite a lot, both for getting ratings for my business, and rating businesses I use.

What I've found is the companies that I rate highly, and other people do,too. Companies I take a dump on usually have a lot of other bad ratings.

Now, two caveats, and that is what ratings Yelp allows to go through.

I currently have 7 reviews on yelp, but only four are recommended, because three of the reviewers don't use Yelp often enough to be rated reviewers.

Meanwhile,I've seen when comanies get in the news, like the dentist who shot the lion or some business that won't serve gay folks, a lot of negative reviews from people who don't live in the same community pop up.. and Yelp should know better and only makes a half-hearted effort to clean them up.

I believe there are three main problems with Yelp...
1) As a business you can "hire" online organizations to create rave reviews.
2) I have to believe that the business also gets friends/relatives to give glowing reviews.
3) "Yelp sort" ... which makes no sense. It is the default way Yelp places reviews at the top. It is supposed to be a weighted sort by users with high review #'s, recency and Yelp user ratings...and "other factors" - it is the "other factors" that is the problem. Over and over the reviews at the top are high reviews made by people who have very few reviews.

Maybe you're the problem.

You tell me.... Carbonara that had peas, mushrooms and cream...and fettuccine noodles.
Carbonara is the sauce which is often but not always made with cream and can be served over may types of noodles. Peas are a bit unconventional but not unheard of and mushrooms are common.

Sounds to me like you are just being picky.

I never trust anyone on Italian food. It may very well be the best Italian food ever eaten by that individual if every thing eaten before that moment came from a pizza joint. They aren't going to recognize regional differences.

Please note that we live in a country that if you put a can of chili's into anything then it's Mexican. If you add Mozzarella or a tomato to something, it's Italian.

It is really hard to go out to eat if you cook a lot or if you are unimpressed with mediocrity. I don't leave reviews on Yelp. I do leave them elsewhere. I try to identify something good about a restaurant first, then the bad, then the ugly. I try not to penalize the servers if the issue is the food.

You tell me.... Carbonara that had peas, mushrooms and cream...and fettuccine noodles.
Carbonara is the sauce which is often but not always made with cream and can be served over may types of noodles. Peas are a bit unconventional but not unheard of and mushrooms are common.

No. Authentic Carbonara does not have cream and has never had cream.

Sure it does, as long as it has eggs it's carbonara.

No. There is no cream.

No. There is no cream.
Lol, ok. I'll be sure to tell my cousins in Sicily that next time I talk to them.

No. There is no cream.
Lol, ok. I'll be sure to tell my cousins in Sicily that next time I talk to them.

You do that, sweet pea. We can have some type of swinging dick contest between your cousins and my cousins that are also in Italy.

That was some asstardian shit.

No. There is no cream.

You do that, sweet pea. We can have some type of swinging dick contest between your cousins and my cousins that are also in Italy.

I agree completely, why did you start it?

No. There is no cream.

I agree completely, why did you start it?

I didn't start it. I simply corrected you. Authentic carbonara sauce does not contain cream. The creaminess comes from the cheese. I don't need to call relatives in Italy.

Forum List

Back