Yellowstone Park

Isn't there a super volcano under Yellowstone, or am I thinking of somewhere else?
yes there is, i think that is what old faithful is part of not sure how it all works though. If yellowstone goes my brother is screwed he is near the east end. I went through Yellowstone in a couple times, kind of boring since the fire went through it! They did have a medium size one when my brothers were little and my mom lived in a place called Recluse Wyomning but there is nothing around there to do much damage structurally!

Over 400 quakes in Yellowstone in the last week or so. USGS states some quite deep, down near the magma chamber. Not exactly what we need at the moment. Should Yellowstone go, it would probably have a negative affect on our economy:(

Recent Earthquakes for Yellowstone

It will have a negative impact on our economy, but Bush will be blamed which makes it okay.

I was at Yellowstone before they had fences around the geysers (60s). Kids would just run for a geyser and jump in. We called these kids 'Stu'.

It will have a negative impact on our economy, but Bush will be blamed which makes it okay.

I was at Yellowstone before they had fences around the geysers (60s). Kids would just run for a geyser and jump in. We called these kids 'Stu'.
:eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo::cranky:

Should Yellowstone go, it would probably have a negative affect on our economy:(

Hopefully that's not your only concern regarding Yellowstone. It's a great nationally protected resource for the U.S. Well worth a visit as others said.

As for the earthquakes according to the USGS site seismic activity has decreased significantly since yesterday. I guess the recent 900 earthquakes are well above typical activity, but not unprecedented for the park according to the site due to the park being near two fault lines.

yes there is a supervolcano under yellowstone...it is not like mtn st helen however...friend out there have mentioned the increase in quakes and the changing level of lakes there for nearly a decade....if it goes..it will not impact the economy it will destroy entire states...

Yellowstone National Park sits atop a subterranean chamber of molten rock and gasses so vast that the region, known for its geysers and grizzlies, is arguably one of the largest active volcanoes in the world.

Granted, it's not your typical volcano, either in scale (it's huge), appearance (it's a vast depression, not a single mountain) or frequency of eruption (at least hundreds of thousands of years apart).

But it is active, and the evidence is everywhere.

A relatively close-to-the-surface magma chamber — as close as 5 miles underground in some spots — fuels thousands of spewing geysers, hissing steam vents, gurgling mud pots and steaming hot springs that help make Yellowstone such an otherworldly and popular tourist attraction, with 3 million summer visitors.

Molten rock and gas in a chamber near the Earth's surface is similarly present below "traditional" cone-shaped active volcanoes, like Mount St. Helens in Washington state.

But there are differences. Huge differences.

The crater atop Mount St. Helens is about 2 square miles. The Yellowstone "caldera" — a depression in the Earth equivalent to a crater top — is some 1,500 square miles.

The 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption blew 1,300 vertical feet off the mountain, sent an eruption column 80,000 feet high in 15 minutes, ejected 1.4 billion cubic yards of ash detectable over 22,000 square miles, and killed 57 people.

But the last major eruption at Yellowstone, some 640,000 years ago, ejected 8,000 times the ash and lava of Mount St. Helens.

And that wasn't even the largest eruption in Yellowstone's prehistoric past.

"Yellowstone is much larger than any other volcanic feature in North America," says geophysicist Bob Smith of the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory and the University of Utah. "People don't realize this."

>>> NEXT PAGE: WHAT'S FUELING YELLOWSTONE?

Discovery Channel :: Supervolcano: What's Under Yellowstone?

Yeap lets just hope its just letting off steam and not the big one.

It wont matter much , if its the big one we wont have anything to worry about ever again.

QT Yellowstone Caldera (the eruptions of which can be violent enough to send a layer of ash 6 feet deep as far away as Chicago and which erupts every 600,000 or so years and last erupted 640,000 years ago) Update:

There were 34 earthquakes at Yellowstone in October.

There were 69 earthquakes in November.

There were 11 earthquakes the first three days of December.

The rise of magma beneath the ground continues at a record rate.

Ho, Ho, Ho!

QT Yellowstone Caldera (the eruptions of which can be violent enough to send a layer of ash 6 feet deep as far away as Chicago and which erupts every 600,000 or so years and last erupted 640,000 years ago) Update:

There were 34 earthquakes at Yellowstone in October.

There were 69 earthquakes in November.

There were 11 earthquakes the first three days of December.

The rise of magma beneath the ground continues at a record rate.

Ho, Ho, Ho!

del, you are such a ray of sunshine

QT Yellowstone Caldera (the eruptions of which can be violent enough to send a layer of ash 6 feet deep as far away as Chicago

Also from discovery channel site:

There is no argument that a major eruption at Yellowstone in modern times would be devastating. It would obliterate the national park and nearby communities, spread ground-glass-like volcanic ash from the Pacific coast to the Midwest, and cause worldwide weather changes from the airborne dust and gases, according to Smith, who described the potential effects in detail in his book Windows Into the Earth, published in 2000.

A modern full-force Yellowstone eruption could kill millions, directly and indirectly, and would make every volcano in recorded human history look minor by comparison. Fortunately, "super-eruptions" from supervolcanoes have occurred on a geologic time scale so vast that a study by the Geological Society of London declared an eruption on the magnitude of Yellowstone's biggest (the Huckleberry Ridge eruption 2.1 million years ago) occurs somewhere on the planet only about once every million years.

Freaky stuff.:eek:

yes there is a supervolcano under yellowstone...it is not like mtn st helen however...friend out there have mentioned the increase in quakes and the changing level of lakes there for nearly a decade....if it goes..it will not impact the economy it will destroy entire states...

Yellowstone National Park sits atop a subterranean chamber of molten rock and gasses so vast that the region, known for its geysers and grizzlies, is arguably one of the largest active volcanoes in the world.

Granted, it's not your typical volcano, either in scale (it's huge), appearance (it's a vast depression, not a single mountain) or frequency of eruption (at least hundreds of thousands of years apart).

But it is active, and the evidence is everywhere.

A relatively close-to-the-surface magma chamber — as close as 5 miles underground in some spots — fuels thousands of spewing geysers, hissing steam vents, gurgling mud pots and steaming hot springs that help make Yellowstone such an otherworldly and popular tourist attraction, with 3 million summer visitors.

Molten rock and gas in a chamber near the Earth's surface is similarly present below "traditional" cone-shaped active volcanoes, like Mount St. Helens in Washington state.

But there are differences. Huge differences.

The crater atop Mount St. Helens is about 2 square miles. The Yellowstone "caldera" — a depression in the Earth equivalent to a crater top — is some 1,500 square miles.

The 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption blew 1,300 vertical feet off the mountain, sent an eruption column 80,000 feet high in 15 minutes, ejected 1.4 billion cubic yards of ash detectable over 22,000 square miles, and killed 57 people.

But the last major eruption at Yellowstone, some 640,000 years ago, ejected 8,000 times the ash and lava of Mount St. Helens.

And that wasn't even the largest eruption in Yellowstone's prehistoric past.

"Yellowstone is much larger than any other volcanic feature in North America," says geophysicist Bob Smith of the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory and the University of Utah. "People don't realize this."

>>> NEXT PAGE: WHAT'S FUELING YELLOWSTONE?

Discovery Channel :: Supervolcano: What's Under Yellowstone?
One of the reasons Wyomning is one big natural resource! ANd you guys are scaring the shit out of me because my brother lives just east of Yellowstone in Wyomning.The last time they had a larger earth quake my mom felt it in Idaho.

One of the reasons Wyomning is one big natural resource! ANd you guys are scaring the shit out of me because my brother lives just east of Yellowstone in Wyomning.The last time they had a larger earth quake my mom felt it in Idaho.

un-depends.jpg

please, stock up on food....rice, beans, dried fruit, corn meal, flour, water, cereals, nuts, dried milk, oil, canned veggies, fruit and veggie seeds and several bags of miracle grow etc....

if it does blow, our heartland, where we grow our food, will be useless and wiped out....could take years to get the full sun back and for the ash from a super volcano to settle or be remidiated.

JUST DO IT! (to steal from NIKE)

it is always good to have some food stocked, for a number of natural disaster emergencies....our gvt, no longer has a food reserve in silos, as we once did, for security purposes...

Last edited:
yellowstone is a supervolcano... they rarely ever erupt, they usually vent alot... but when they do, it causes a dramatic cooling... or so i heard... the last one to happen in north america was before it was raped by the "free world"... haha, sorry... but the "paleo-indians" (not politically correct but that's what they call them) were pretty much wiped out entirely and all paleo-indian fossils can only be dated to a specific point... they know because only in the americas, do they find a certain type of diamond in the soil, which is only found in volcanic soil... they said it was in the dust that covered the land... but i dont know, i just read about it and am no geologist

Forum List

Back