Yeah this will work

Mr.Fitnah

Dreamcrusher
Jul 14, 2009
Paradise.
U.S. set to pay Taliban members to switch sides

(CNN) -- There is a well-known saying in Afghanistan: "You can rent an Afghan, but you can't buy him."
Some experts on the region believe a U.S. program to pay Taliban fighters to quit the organization is buying temporary loyalty.
President Obama on Wednesday signed a $680 billion defense appropriations bill, which will pay for military operations in the 2010 fiscal year. The bill includes a Taliban reintegration provision under the Commander's Emergency Response Program, which is now receiving $1.3 billion. CERP funding also is intended for humanitarian relief and reconstruction projects at commanders' discretion.

U.S. set to pay Taliban members to switch sides - CNN.com

They want to pay people who have such strong religious values that they are willing to kill for them to stop killing them?

Good luck.

(CNN) -- There is a well-known saying in Afghanistan: "You can rent an Afghan, but you can't buy him."
Some experts on the region believe a U.S. program to pay Taliban fighters to quit the organization is buying temporary loyalty.
President Obama on Wednesday signed a $680 billion defense appropriations bill, which will pay for military operations in the 2010 fiscal year. The bill includes a Taliban reintegration provision under the Commander's Emergency Response Program, which is now receiving $1.3 billion. CERP funding also is intended for humanitarian relief and reconstruction projects at commanders' discretion.

"Some" military "experts on the region believe..." the way to win in Afghanistan is to rent the people who the enemy is also renting. To the biggest pay goes loyalty. So very free market don't you think?

Last edited:
So now we want to pay the people who have been attacking us to not attack us?

Can we pay them in lead and brass?

The people who attack us are not always the main enemy. Sometimes enemies become allies.. HAs happened throughout history. Now STFU and go study your history before you embarrass yourself yet again with silly tough guy idiocies.

So we're paying off enemies to do what? Delay their ultimate attacks on our soil?

WTF? [Over]...

So now we want to pay the people who have been attacking us to not attack us?

Can we pay them in lead and brass?

The people who attack us are not always the main enemy. Sometimes enemies become allies.. HAs happened throughout history. Now STFU and go study your history before you embarrass yourself yet again with silly tough guy idiocies.

But it STILL ultimately bites US in the ass. KILL them all. Don't give them a fuckin' RED CENT.

I can't put my finger on it, but this seems to be another contiuation of a Bush policy. As I recall, commanders in the field in Iraq had cash they could give to tribal leaders in exchange for cooperation.

Edited to say thank you for the link Maggie. I know I wasn't imagining it.

Last edited:
This tactic doesn't work...hell lets just say for shits and giggles that I'm one of those getting paid. You think I will be loyal to just one employer? Hell, I would be taking the second job and playing both sides. What else is this Administration going to do? Oh yeah the spit balls will be coming out.

So we're paying off enemies to do what? Delay their ultimate attacks on our soil?

WTF? [Over]...

Yea ... now they will be able to afford to attack us !!! Hahahaha
Why not give them all plane tickets while we are at it.

Didnt work last time when they were fighting the Russians

Afghanistan is not Iraq.

True. So the Iraqi's unserstand the value of a dollar and are willing to become "allies" while the Afghani's are not?

Is that why it was a worthwhile program under Bush, but not under Obama?

I don't think it is a Bush/Obama thing. It's more of a geographic/geopolitical thing. Afghanistan is not a country country. It's a piece of dirt that has been defined on a map, but there is no cohesive sovereign. Even when they were westernized the people up in the hills were doing their own thing and having tribal warfare and territorial skirmishes. It's not like they were receiving services and had social security numbers and post offices. They are wild things with tents and caves and some livestock. They move/d around a lot. Just because Kabul is an organized group of buildings and has a president with a funny hat, doesn't mean the hill people are with the program. They aren't.

Iraq had a country thing going on. Saddam kept tabs and papers and records and organized things. He had police and an Army and an intelligence network. Afghanistan is not a country in the common sense of the word like the rest of the world. It's not going to be either, despite whomever's best intentions otherwise. Ghenghis Khan, Alexander the Great, England and Russia have tried....more mightily and with greater assets than we have committed....all failed. You have tribal warfare, religious sectarian warfare, ethnic warfare......you name it, they have a reason to fight over it. They are not going to change just because we say: " You have this shape on a map and you're a country and let's all sit down and have a constitution and vote and be civilized and stuff." Not gonna happen. We should just leave.

Forum List

Back