Ye olde Electoral Watering Hole!!!

Next factoid:

Who is the only presidential candidate to win Colorado three times, and yet, not win the national election even one of those times?
WJ Bryant.

Super close but it is Bryan and not Bryant.

And in fact, Bryan won CO with the largest margin of any presidential candidate in that state's history, with 84.95% of the vote and a whalloping +71.09% margin, in 1896.

No other candidate has ever come close to that kind of record in Colorado since then.

People think that Florida was the first electoral mis-call in TV Network coverage, but this is not true. In fact, 2 states were miscalled in the same election.

What two states, and when?

Process of elimination time.

Has to be before 1972, or I would have remembered it. But it can't be too old, as the process of "calling" quickly is fairly recent. Like you said, "TV". So going back ...

1968 and 1964 were not close elections, so probably not those years.

Let me check 1960 ... yep. California incorrectly called for Kennedy, and Hawaii incorrectly called for Nixon.

Last edited:
People think that Florida was the first electoral mis-call in TV Network coverage, but this is not true. In fact, 2 states were miscalled in the same election.

What two states, and when?

Process of elimination time.

Has to be before 1972, or I would have remembered it. But it can't be too old, as the process of "calling" quickly is fairly recent. Like you said, "TV". So going back ...

1968 and 1964 were not close elections, so probably not those years.

Let me check 1960 ... yep. California incorrectly called for Kennedy, and Hawaii incorrectly called for Nixon.

Yess!!! [MENTION=39072]mamooth[/MENTION], you are on a roll!!! Rep coming at you again later today, well done!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trivia No. 3:

There was a presidential candidate who was so sure of victory, he didn't even go out to campaign, but rather, waged his campaign from the front porch of his home.

Who was that candidate, and in what year did this happen?

Last edited:
Trivia No. 3:

There was a presidential candidate who was so sure of victory, he didn't even go out to campaign, but rather, waged his campaign from the front porch of his home.

Who was that candidate, and in what year did this happen?

Hmm. There have been several front-porch campaigns. Garfield 1880, Harrison 1888, McKinley 1896, Harding 1920.

I'll go with what is probably the most famous of them, Mckinley 1896.

New Topics

Forum List

Back