Y'all think Obama is talking down to blacks?

Talking down to them would indicate that've cares on some level about them. Look at his policies. Look at his speeches. Look at his commitment to help renew the inner cities of America .... He is trying to getthem back. He sees the a black man, one with a history of actually doing things won the Florida straw pole and may well be the eventual nominee ... The black vote is no longer a lock if the Pubs parade Cain out there in NH

Then your point is a political double standard, not whether or not Hillary Clinton ie "Leftists" can be racist.

I don't believe that I used the term 'racist.'

Consider the same situation speaking to Hispanics...

Consider the same situation speaking to Asians...

Consider how the Left has taught the electorate to seek 'offenses' the way
pigs seek truffles.

Couldn't be a better example of same than post #24 above...

Read post #4.

The "Left" taught blacks to use different dialects when speaking amongst ourselves and when we talk to whites? Whites really have no clue about black Americans, do you? This came up in 2008 and it's stuff like this that brings any wavering minority support right back to Obama. It just shows that the conservative/republican/tea party crowd is really clueless about minority communities.

Get back to me after you watch Mississippi Masala.

Only woman in the room is really from Africa and they all diss her. Only African.

Get a grip on what you are. You are Americans. Pity you punks still think you are still on a slave ship out of Boston.

if you think black people have any reason to vote republican why dont you tell us what it would be?

Then your point is a political double standard, not whether or not Hillary Clinton ie "Leftists" can be racist.

I don't believe that I used the term 'racist.'

Consider the same situation speaking to Hispanics...

Consider the same situation speaking to Asians...

Consider how the Left has taught the electorate to seek 'offenses' the way
pigs seek truffles.

Couldn't be a better example of same than post #24 above...

Read post #4.

The "Left" taught blacks to use different dialects when speaking amongst ourselves and when we talk to whites? Whites really have no clue about black Americans, do you? This came up in 2008 and it's stuff like this that brings any wavering minority support right back to Obama. It just shows that the conservative/republican/tea party crowd is really clueless about minority communities.

1. You are correct...I should have said that I didn't apply the term 'racist' to any of the individuals in the thread. Rep on the way.
I avoid the term as some sort of indictment...
...it is all in the mind of the listener.

2. 'The "Left" taught blacks to use different dialects when speaking amongst ourselves and when we talk to whites?'
Although I read "Losing the Race" some time ago, I believe McWorter makes the point that being authenically black is often ascertained by knowledge of 'black lingo..'...

"According to McWhorter, nearly forty years after the Civil Rights Act, African-Americans in this country still remain “a race apart.” He feels that modern black Americans have internalized a tacit message: “authentically black” people stress initiative in private but cloak the race in victimhood in public in order to protect black people from an ever-looming white backlash. McWhorter terms this phenomenon the “New Double Consciousness” in homage to W. E. B. Dubois’s description of a different kind of double consciousness in blacks a century ago. It is within this context that McWhorter takes us on a guided tour through the race issues dominating our current discourse . . ."
Manhattan Institute | Books by John H. McWhorter

“It gets folks discouraged. I know. I listen to some of y’all,”-- Barack "Homie" Obama

Seriously? How folksy! He's as fucking ignorant as any of the other inner city public school educated Chillun.

Dats da troof!

What do the rest of y'all think? Is he talking down to his largely black and unemployed audience?

What in the fuck are you talking about?

Idiot.

“It gets folks discouraged. I know. I listen to some of y’all,”-- Barack "Homie" Obama

Seriously? How folksy! He's as fucking ignorant as any of the other inner city public school educated Chillun.

Dats da troof!

What do the rest of y'all think? Is he talking down to his largely black and unemployed audience?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FlpbRFXC9E]Hillary Clinton speaking in a different dialect - YouTube[/ame]

Luckily, Leftists can never be racist!

Do you know she was quoting the words of a negro spiritual?

OF course she doesnt know. You see, she thought it was a gotcha thing and it turns out it makes her look like an idiot.

Dats da troof!

Really?

I think anyone can use the word y'all without looking uneducated. Obama meant nothing by it; it's just colloquial American speech. There's no need to be excessively formal in political speeches.

I say y'all all the time and I have 3 degrees, 2 licenses, and a national certification. And cook like Paula Deen. What pisses me off is for someone to call me a 'guy' as in 'you guys.' I will tell them in an instant that I am NOT a guy! :mad:

Do you know she was quoting the words of a negro spiritual?

OF course she doesnt know. You see, she thought it was a gotcha thing and it turns out it makes her look like an idiot.

Here is the proof that one can only judge others by oneself.

This is why I think others are knowledgeable, and you assume I didn't know.

BTW...I never lie. I knew.
Can you say the same?

Dats da troof!

Really?

I think anyone can use the word y'all without looking uneducated. Obama meant nothing by it; it's just colloquial American speech. There's no need to be excessively formal in political speeches.

A lot of people use that term here in Virginia where I live. I use it. Virginia is damn near the northern border of the South too. We were termed the "Upper South". Its condescending to judge someone's intelligence based on regional colloquialisms.

Last edited:
In my book, ANYONE who uses affected speech tailored to his audience is phoney.

I agree. However, I must confess that I have stopped using a lot of the KY expressions I know except in the company of friends or when I want to lighten up a meeting or something. I make no apology for the accent, or for my use of y'all, I do try to use good English and sound like I have an education when I do a presentation. If I didn't Vanderbilt would disown me!

Dats da troof!

Really?

A lot of people use that term here in Virginia where I live. I use it.
So, who commonly uses it in Chicago, I wonder?

hehehe

y'all is singular. all y'all is the plural. get a grip on southern grammar.

the man and his writers don't have a clue. one must always remember that yankees don't have a freaking clue on the day to day down south.

for example, when I lived in tennessee, we never sweated. EVER. we got "dewey",

:lol:

You're right!! Don't forget about all of y'all's. :) Naw, we sweat in Georgia!!

Some fun. I miss the south so much. This year I'm going to wrap some things up and head to the land I love.

I miss it so. Mud pies and terducken here I come.

I lived in Mississippi for 2 years, and i know how easy it is to pick up the "Ya'll" thing!! But i don't believe Obama ever lived in the south......

Forum List

Back