Y'all may not like it, but, here it is anyway

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by Gdjjr, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Gdjjr

Gdjjr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I know this isn't going to change anyone's mind- too many believe only they know all there is to know about everything there is to know anything about and have made their mind up they are right despite evidence to the contrary- I'm amazed at the lack of curiosity illustrated by the refusal to read anything (more than 2 sentences) if it's contrary to what one feels-

Man has been migrating since he discovered putting one foot in front of the other took him somewhere other than where he was. Some, such as I, believe in the founding philosophy set forth in the DoI- we hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal and have certain unalienable rights endowed by his Creator and among these are the right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness- I don't see any caveats in that phrase.

It's pretty obvious I'm out numbered in the belief that one is better than another simply because he was born in a particular place- in reading the many anti-immigrant posts I see a lot of fear being used as an excuse- a fear by those who believe they are special and subscribe to the US being exceptional- I don't think fear mongering is exceptional. It's pretty common actually, for tyrants and control freaks, and is used to sell a lot of crap- can you say 9/11? Marijuana is bad? To keep them from attacking us here? Just give up a little of your rights and you'll have more security. Is that exceptional? What was Ben Franklin credited with saying?

Then there are those who say; as long as they do it legally it's perfectly okay- if what you say is true about lowering wages etc., how does being legal change that? Do they, just all of a sudden, become exceptional too?

Then there are the obvious racist cries about the white man being displaced as top of the food chain. How can that happen to special or exceptional Individuals? If indeed one is special or exceptional it seems to me one would have, at their disposal, the means to overcome whatever is thrown in the way of their rise to fame and/or fortune. It seems that the exceptional will find a way to maintain his superiority with his Individual effort by exercising his right to pursue his life as he sees fit to achieve the happiness he has a right to. Unless of course he prefers a little security in place of a little liberty and demands the gov't protect him from the latest fear de jour- what was it Ben Franklin is credited with saying?

Maybe the superiority is merely superficial- maybe exceptional doesn't exist. Maybe being special isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Please, read all the above prior to commenting. It's in simple, easy to understand English. Just like the Declaration of Independence which is arguably the most profound document ever penned- sadly too many only pay a minimum of lip service to it and feel there is a caveat when they do, somewhere.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rambunctious

Rambunctious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,212
    :th_smiley_emoticons_gaehn:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  3. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66,741
    Legal is fine with me. I'm even ok with making it easier to become a citizen.
    I am totally against illegals in this country. They get paid lower wages, dont pay taxes the rest of us pay and many send much of their money out of country.
    I dont believe in us being exceptional in any way. Look at our voting block (conplete fucking morons) and our govt. Nothing to brag about.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56,035
    We have social service programs that we pay for and we cannot afford to take care of the rest of the world. If you want your social service programs to remain in place, then you need to keep illegals out and limit immigration. This is not the 1800s. Times and people have changed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66,741
    I hope one day humans evolve and borders become unnecessary.
    But that day isnt even close to happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gdjjr

Gdjjr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The longest journey begins with the first step.

7. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66,741
    While i would normally agree, I see this as different than the normal application.
    Look at the fundamentalist Muslim.. Christian fundamentalists are bad enough. We dont need them strapping bombs to their children over a 1500 year old political disagreement over here too. Maybe they wouldnt even want to come to this "blasphemous" country.. Idk.
    It is a thoughtful subject.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. justoffal

justoffal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,466
    Where do you keep your refrigerator?

Jo

9. Gdjjr

Gdjjr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Actually, as I said, man has been migrating since he discovered putting one foot in front of the other took him some other place- way before the 1800's.
    Being driven by an analytical thought and logic, I have to ask; what social services are you referring to? The ones you don't want or the ones you do want? Whose fault is it there are social services to begin with? The immigrants? People haven't changed, only laws have been introduced to control/restrict liberty.
    I don't see any citizen saying we have to take care of the world- that is the empty suits in DC acting in that manner though they do have their acolytes who are blood thirsty for whoever the elders in their church says is their enemy which changes with wind direction-

10. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56,035
    Irrelevant. We have social services and cannot afford to pay everyone's way. Let's be realistic.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1