Yahoo. Today is the winter solstice and we start gaining daylight again.....

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
:thewave: :banana: :dance:

As a lot of you know I live in Fairbank's Alaska,( I've actually moved 80 miles south of Fairbank's since I've joined the board) and Semper Fi live's up here also.
Right now we are down to about 4 1/2 hrs of daylight here, the sky get's light at around 11am and maybe a little bit of sun for a couple of hour's then the sun set's again at around 3:30pm and it's dark again. The 21st, the winter solstice for us is a time too celebrate whereas we will now start gaining daylight every day. For me it can't come fast enought, but we will only be gaining a few minutes every day for awhile, and then in a couple months or so we will start gaining 5 to 7 mins a day until we are up to 24 hour's of daylight come the summer solstice. I can handle the summer daylight, way better than the winter darkness, but that's what you learn to live with up here in Northern Alaska....
Anyway I just wanted to share our good new's with you all.

And while I'm at it, I'd like to wish everyone on the USMB a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thank's for the yr of great conversation and a lot of interesting reading material.... :cheers2:

I celebrate with you, Stephanie. It's not as bad here as in Alaska, but it's enough to give you the winter blues. I live for the shortest day of the year, when we start adding minutes to the end of the day instead of decreasing them. By the end of January here, it will still be daylight at 6 o'clock in the evening. By the end of February, it will still be daylight at 6:30 p.m., and by the end of March, it will still be daylight at 7:00 p.m., and there will start being some nice days that will give you "spring fever." Less than 90 days away!!!

Adam's Apple said:
I celebrate with you, Stephanie. It's not as bad here as in Alaska, but it's enough to give you the winter blues. I live for the shortest day of the year, when we start adding minutes to the end of the day instead of decreasing them. By the end of January here, it will still be daylight at 6 o'clock in the evening. By the end of February, it will still be daylight at 6:30 p.m., and by the end of March, it will still be daylight at 7:00 p.m., and there will start being some nice days that will give you "spring fever." Less than 90 days away!!!
Can't come fast enough!

Adam's Apple said:

As do I !!! Even though I live south, there is nothing like a long day filled with sunshine. The winter solstice is indeed a day to celebrate! :mm:

dilloduck said:
As do I !!! Even though I live south, there is nothing like a long day filled with sunshine. The winter solstice is indeed a day to celebrate! :mm:
That's why I'm gonna got out and dance nekkid in the snow tonite!

Not really.

I totally hear you, Stephanie. Seattle is further north than any other major US city - the sunrise today is supposed to be at 7:53, and sunset is at 4:22, giving us a whole 8 1/2 hours of "sunlight" (with clouds). So I totally can't wait for the days to get longer.

Forum List

Back