Yahoo! To Bar Adult-Child Sex Chat Rooms - I'm Waiting For The ACLU To Sue

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
nternet service provider Yahoo! has agreed to bar chat rooms that promote sex between minors and adults, the attorneys general of New York and Nebraska announced Wednesday.

The agreement calls for Yahoo! to remove and bar the posting of user- created chat rooms with names that promote sex between children and adults, New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer and Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning said in a prepared statement.

"We need to be vigilant to protect our children," Spitzer said. "It is imperative that parents, industry, prosecutors and lawmakers all work together to identify and address possible threats, and that we teach our children to protect themselves from those who would do them harm."

In June, while still in discussions with the attorneys general, Yahoo! removed or barred the posting of about 70,000 user-created chat rooms whose names suggested they facilitated illegal conduct, including promoting sex between adults and minors.

"Millions of people use the Internet every day, and many of those are children," said Bruning. "Because of this agreement Yahoo! chat rooms are a safer place today than ever before, meaning our children are safer online and predators have fewer opportunities to prey on them."

Among the illicit chat rooms removed were those with labels such as "girls 13 & up for much older men," "8-12 yo girls for older men," and "teen girls for older fat men." Many of these were located within the "Schools and Education" and "Teen" chat categories.

An undercover investigator, posing as a 14-year-old while visiting one of those chat rooms, received 35 personal messages of a sexual nature over a single 25-minute period, the attorneys general said.

Spitzer and Bruning said they launched their investigations earlier this year after receiving tips that children had unfettered access to adult chat rooms.

Yahoo! had no immediate comment.

Under the agreement:

_Yahoo! must prescreen all user-created chat room names and deny posting of all that encourage sex acts between adults and minors.

_If and when Yahoo! becomes aware of any such chat rooms, it must purge them from its site within 24 hours.

_Yahoo! will make it easier to report any threats to child safety, give priority to such complaints and designate specific employees to do so.

_Yahoo! will develop educational materials and feature them on the Yahoo! network, promoting the safe use of chat rooms.

_Yahoo! will donate $175,000 to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children's New York affiliates, and provide banner advertising to that organization targeted to teens.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/12/D8D6IBDO0.html

Really, shouldn’t they have been responsible to do this anyway.
It sounds like they had their arm twisted to me. Well, I can live with that.

Honestly, I don’t think these changes will really make a difference though.

Mr. P said:
Really, shouldn’t they have been responsible to do this anyway.
It sounds like they had their arm twisted to me. Well, I can live with that.

Honestly, I don’t think these changes will really make a difference though.

They'll just switch to ICQ.

GotZoom said:
They'll just switch to ICQ.
You can bet they are already there and on Aim and anyother mode of chat kids and teens use.

Did you ever see the sting Dateline (I think it was) did with these perverts..?
They filmed these guys showing up at what was supposed to be a 14 year old girls house in the burbs..

Maybe someone could arrange such a thing, and meet em with Mr. S&W, a large thrash bag and a shovel. :2guns:

Mr. P said:
You can bet they are already there and on Aim and anyother mode of chat kids and teens use.

Did you ever see the sting Dateline (I think it was) did with these perverts..?
They filmed these guys showing up at what was supposed to be a 14 year old girls house in the burbs..

Maybe someone could arrange such a thing, and meet em with Mr. S&W, a large thrash bag and a shovel. :2guns:

You should check out this webiste. It is an organization who does nothing but go into chat rooms pretending they are young boys and girls. Once they are "approached" in the room, they basically reel them in - arranging meetings, getting cellphone numbers, etc. They turn everything over to the authorities. Sometimes they even contact the guys doing the trolling - post their "rebuttal" on the same website.

Pretty amazing stuff.

They have transcripts, pictures, etc from all these perverts.

Not for the weak-stomach type - some of the "chats" are pretty disgusting, especially when you know the guy thinkings he is talking to a 11 year old (and up).

http://www.perverted-justice.com/

GotZoom said:
You should check out this webiste. It is an organization who does nothing but go into chat rooms pretending they are young boys and girls. Once they are "approached" in the room, they basically reel them in - arranging meetings, getting cellphone numbers, etc. They turn everything over to the authorities. Sometimes they even contact the guys doing the trolling - post their "rebuttal" on the same website.

Pretty amazing stuff.

They have transcripts, pictures, etc from all these perverts.

Not for the weak-stomach type - some of the "chats" are pretty disgusting, especially when you know the guy thinkings he is talking to a 11 year old (and up).

http://www.perverted-justice.com/
Perfect!!! And Legal..I'll check it out!! Thanks.

Mr. P said:
So Nuc, what's funny about an older guy arranging sex with a 13 year old troubled kid and maybe killing him or her? ASSHOLE!!

"troubled" teens being the point...my GD stopped by the house yesterday grabbed a bite to eat on G-Pa...then said she and her girlfriend were off to ride the dirt bikes...I said what no teen chat today...she said naw it is boring and way too many weirdos in there!..all I could do was smile!

archangel said:
"troubled" teens being the point...my GD stopped by the house yesterday grabbed a bite to eat on G-Pa...then said she and her girlfriend were off to ride the dirt bikes...I said what no teen chat today...she said naw it is boring and way too many weirdos in there!..all I could do was smile!
No doubt "troubled" is a prime target.

Mr. P said:
So Nuc, what's funny about an older guy arranging sex with a 13 year old troubled kid and maybe killing him or her? ASSHOLE!!

Dumbasses! Do you know what vigilantism is? I'm saying it's good that people are tricking the pervs into revealing themselves and then turning the pervs into the authorities.

Fucking A the people on this board need some serious reading comprehension training!

Nuc said:
Dumbasses! Do you know what vigilantism is? I'm saying it's good that people are tricking the pervs into revealing themselves and then turning the pervs into the authorities.

Fucking A the people on this board need some serious reading comprehension training!
Or maybe YOU should learn to be more clear in you posts.

I can tell you that the ACLU won't do anything with this case because Yahoo! is a private company and has every right to determine what they will house on their website and/or webspace.

As for perverted justice, if this is what they want to do, let them do it. I do hope, however they are careful. Here's a website highlighting some of the problems with how perverted justice conducts it's affairs:
http://www.chatmag.com/help/17022004_pj.html

acludem

yeah it only took how many complaints to get this done?
what was that freak in kansas that met chicks off the net for some s&m fun... then killed them?

Forum List

Back