Yahoo News Sucks!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I just was checking headlines:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060124/ts_alt_afp/usabortionpoliticsjustice_060124061135

US anti-abortion movement sees victory near

Tue Jan 24, 1:17 AM ET

Thirty-three years after a Supreme Court decision gave women the right to abortions, anti-abortion activists expressed "new hope" that they would soon be able to outlaw the practice.

Wearing religious vestments and wielding shocking pictures of blood-covered fetuses, tens of thousands of anti-abortion activists rallied in the US capital Monday, encouraged by President George W. Bush's nomination of two judges with conservative credentials to the Supreme Court.

John Roberts was appointed chief justice late last year and Congress is expected to approve this week another new court nominee, Samuel Alito, to replace retiring Sandra Day O'Connor, who backed abortion rights.

Anti-abortion activists hope the nine-justice high court will reverse the landmark Roe v. Wade case that, on January 22, 1973, guaranteed the right of abortion.

"Mr. Justices, please reverse Roe v. Wade and sentence us to life on earth," said one protest sign at the 33rd annual "March for Life".

Leaders of the protest expressed confidence that the changes in the makeup of the court, expected to turn it decisively to the right, will lead to a ban on abortion.

"Roe's days are numbered," said Stephen Peroutka, president of the National Pro-Life Action Center, an anti-abortion group. "Time is on our side."

"We expect every Supreme Court justice to overturn Roe versus Wade. We expect them to do the right thing," said Nellie Gray, a March for Life organizer.

To a background of religious hymns, the protestors heard testaments from women who regretted having had abortions.

"I committed murder," said Carolyn Hines, the mother of two living children.

"We have to be the voices of our aborted children, the voices of the unborn."

The marchers were encouraged by a message from Bush, who has been cautious in addressing the abortion issue.

"We will prevail," he said. "You believe as I do that every human life has value, that the strong have a duty to protect the weak.

"We're making good progress in defending these principles ... By changing laws we can change our culture," the president said.

The movement's leaders were also encouraged by the presence of younger Americans at the protests. Many students from numerous states across the country joined Monday's march, many of them associated with religious groups.

"With the new people they put in the Supreme Court, we are counting on them to make changes for us," Carolyn Parson, a 27 year old mother, said as the march wound in front of the Congress building at the heart of Washington.

Peroutka called the younger anti-abortion protestors the "future" of the movement, saying with them, the movement cannot fail.

"There are so many young people, it's a new hope," Bobby Schindler told AFP. The case of Schindler's brain-damaged sister, Terry Schiavo, gripped the nation in a different debate over the "right to life" last year.

With the support of anti-abortion groups, Schindler fought Schiavo's husband's desire to disconnect her feeding tube and let her die. After numerous failed court challenges, Schindler lost the battle and Schiavo was allowed to die.

"It's definitely the same battle," Schindler said. "Everybody has a right to life."

Notice the date? Ok, headline on Monday, but Sunday? Hello Alito confirmation vote? Fillibuster anyone? I hate the MSM.

The light of day is killing them! Their inherent dishonesty, their increasing desperation, and their all-consuming hatred, all contribute to their worsening dementia. They've learned nothing from the 2004 election - from the falling fortunes of Hollyweird and the Old Grey Windbag; their arrogance blinds them. I watch them with increasing hope for the future of discourse!

I have yahoo as my home page in my browser. (Have since I've had a computer.) I learned a long time ago that yahoo, rueters, and the rest of the news outlets listed were all liberal, conservative bashing rags. I don't have a news column on my home page anymore.

Forum List

Back