Yahoo News - O'Reilly, others now skeptical about Bush

modman

Jan 26, 2004
Upstate, NY
-Bush's Political Base Seems Restive, Anxious-

By Alan Elsner

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Some of George W. Bush's conservative political supporters are increasingly restive and anxious about the president's economic policies as well as his attempts to justify the war against Iraq

Popular conservative television news anchor Bill O'Reilly, usually an outspoken Bush loyalist, said on Tuesday he was now skeptical about the Bush administration and apologized to viewers for supporting prewar claims that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

"I was wrong. I am not pleased about it at all and I think all Americans should be concerned about this," O'Reilly said in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America."

Pollster John Zogby said Bush was on the defensive with some polls showing him slightly behind Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites), his probable Democratic opponent in the Nov. 2 presidential election.

"The president is on the ropes right now. The question is, how will he adjust? Right now, the issues are not in his favor. Many Americans still think the economy is poor and his rationale for the Iraq war seems a little thin," he said.

"Bush's greatest asset was his unimpeachable integrity in the eyes of most Americans. But with no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, that integrity has been chipped away and right now some large lumps are falling off it," Zogby said.

'TIRED AND UNSURE'

Peggy Noonan, a speechwriter for former President Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) and for Bush's father and an outspoken conservative commentator, said: "The president seemed tired, unsure and often bumbling. His answers were repetitive, and when he tried to clarify them he tended to make them worse. He seemed in some way disconnected from the event."

Conservative columnists George Will and Robert Novak and former Republican congressman Joe Scarborough, now a cable TV commentator, have also recently criticized Bush's fiscal programs and his attempts to explain them.

Such doubts, if they persist, could spell trouble for Bush's re-election campaign. But conservative political consultant Keith Appell said Bush would soon be able to unify and energize his base.

"The White House has had a string of misfires but I believe they will soon regain their stride. This last month has been a wake-up call, but maybe that's what they needed," he said.

In the past month, Bush's State of the Union Address and his initiative to send manned spacecraft to Mars failed to generate much enthusiasm. Conservatives and liberals both criticized his budget for failing to seriously confront the country's growing deficit problem.

On Monday, Bush delivered an economic report to Congress promising to create 2.6 million jobs this year. Last year's economic report predicted that 1.7 million jobs would be created. Instead, there was a net loss of 53,000.

"Congress has the power to censure the president -- to formally reprimand him for betraying the nation's trust. If ever there was a time for this, it's now," the group said in a statement posted on its Web site.

Democrats hope they can plant seeds of doubt now. "If you can create a drumbeat of criticism in February, it's easier to make the case when it really counts in September and October," said Democratic consultant Jennifer Laszlo.

But Brown University political scientist Darrell West said he expected Bush to recover. "It's damaging when your friends criticize you in public, but by November they will all be supporting Bush," he said.

All conservatives are united behind bush, even the ones who disagree with some of his domestic policies. What unites conservatives is the knowledge that if national security is at issue, it is THE ISSUE. Dems wish it weren't the issue. They keep trying to change it, cuz their moronic stances on security are untenable, and they know it. Kerry is a sad excuse for a patriot.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
care to explain the fiscal differences then?

Not really. We've already been through it. It's called triangulation. Bush is stealing big spending issues from the dems, for brazen political purposes. The Dems have gone too far. Now the party's over. Welcome to the New American Century.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
ah, come out of the closet at last neocon?

Hello? Duh. Are you just now figuring this out about me?

America is the most benevolent empire in world history. And there's more to come. Deal with it.

I must say I am surprised that Mr O'reilly actually came through with a statement like this. It won't likely change my views on his opinions off the bat but it does move my respect for him up a notch.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
All conservatives are united behind bush, even the ones who disagree with some of his domestic policies. What unites conservatives is the knowledge that if national security is at issue, it is THE ISSUE. Dems wish it weren't the issue. They keep trying to change it, cuz their moronic stances on security are untenable, and they know it. Kerry is a sad excuse for a patriot.

Because people question Bush's fiscal behavior they are labeled unpatriotic, and republican's keep on the national security lame game that everyone knows is a joke.

Originally posted by Aquarian
I must say I am surprised that Mr O'reilly actually came through with a statement like this. It won't likely change my views on his opinions off the bat but it does move my respect for him up a notch.

Me too. If O'reilly can figure it out there is hope for the rest of the Bush supporters.

Because for the amount of money being spent there is little to show for it. Yea yea, no attacks in 3 years. Does'nt mean tomorrow Someone won't do it again. You can't stop it. And it is sad that the repubs have to revert to national security to explain everything from jobs to the national debt. Soup to nuts, A to Z they pull national security out of thier back pocket every time.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Trying to secure our nation is a joke? :rolleyes:

National security is an issue that the repubs seem to dwell on as thier explanation for everything, from the job loss, to the national debt. To me that is pretty sad if not funny.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
So we might as well give up then?

Give up? How about actually trying to secure the nation after making it the #1 priority and spending billions? Like I said it is a joke. I think Dennis Miller said this not too long ago. You go down to the Mexican border at night with a pair of night vision goggle and it looks like the start of the Boston Marathon! Sounds secure to me. I don't think any terrorists would try to sneak over the border. Yea right...

Originally posted by modman
National security is an issue that the repubs seem to dwell on as thier explanation for everything, from the job loss, to the national debt. To me that is pretty sad if not funny.

No, what would be sad would be if we abandonded national security because some think we can't stop it.

Give up? How about actually trying to secure the nation after making it the #1 priority and spending billions? Like I said it is a joke. I think Dennis Miller said this not too long ago. You go down to the Mexican border at night with a pair of night vision goggle and it looks like the start of the Boston Marathon! Sounds secure to me. I don't think any terrorists would try to sneak over the border. Yea right...

And in the same breath moan and groan about the Patriot Act.

Bottom line, ANY money or action being used to better secure our nation is a good thing. This just tells me that more money should be spent on securing the borders.

Give up? How about actually trying to secure the nation after making it the #1 priority and spending billions.

You're suggesting that we are not trying to secure the nation.

You know the thing about our enforcement agencies is you will never hear about the successes they have. That would release infromation useful to those that wish us harm. So to presume we are not doing anything is absurd.

Bush is hated by conservatives for one simple reason.

He's not conservative.

He's a neo-con, free-spending, Israel-first Mexican-lover who doesn't give a rip about working folks in America, just his buddy Vincente Fox and a handful of Israeli generals. What a worthless punk. He and John Kerry deserve each other. Between the two of 'em, they've betrayed America 10 times over. Must be something about that Skull and Bones oath. What do they say for that, anyway?

"I, (name of inductee), promise to disobey the Constitution, serve the global new world order khazar masters and corporate elites, crap all over the people, sleep with communists, and take a shit in an apple pie. I will wear a tie and get elected to office to accomplish all this. Forever and ever, amen."

Forum List

Back