Yahoo Mail

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Has anyone else who uses Yahoo Mail been having problems lately? The performance has really deteriorated over the past few months, to the point where today, it's completely dysfunctional (apparently the server is down).

I've had a yahoo mail account for personal use since they first started offering mail - but am not a happy user.

Has anyone else who uses Yahoo Mail been having problems lately? The performance has really deteriorated over the past few months, to the point where today, it's completely dysfunctional (apparently the server is down).

I've had a yahoo mail account for personal use since they first started offering mail - but am not a happy user.

I was there earlier, no problems at that time

I can't access my account via my iPhone either - I get a "the connection to the server failed" message.

I also tried accessing web-based yahoo mail via Safari instead of FF - same problem.

Me =/= Happy With Yahoo

i haven't ever had a functionality problem with yahoo mail.

are you sure the problem isn't in your own machine? sometimes when the history and temporary internet files cache get overloaded the connection will bog down.

wanna talk about spam and yahoo giving away contact info to spammers, we can bitch a bunch.

I've used Yahoo Mail Plus for about 8-9 months now. Yes, I paid to upgrade ... to keep out all the spam. I have noticed issues with their servers. At times I can't open my contact list and my mail can be slow to open.

I've used Yahoo Mail Plus for about 8-9 months now. Yes, I paid to upgrade ... to keep out all the spam. I have noticed issues with their servers. At times I can't open my contact list and my mail can be slow to open.

your post makes me ask both of you who are having trouble if you are using a slow dial connection or broadband. what you describe sounds like it could be the connection itself rather than yahoo's servers.

tommywho70x has been my member name at yahoo for most of the past decade and i've never had significant problems with their servers. i have had trouble like you describe over a dial-in connection.

AT&T uses Yahoo for IP email accounts. I don't like it myself - but it's better than AOL. I'd like to try Thunderbird but it seems to get blocked every time I try to download it. On the face, it seems Thunderbird would be more user friendly.

I have had problems with email locking up on me sometimes but as of late I have had no problems with my yahoo.

your post makes me ask both of you who are having trouble if you are using a slow dial connection or broadband. what you describe sounds like it could be the connection itself rather than yahoo's servers.

tommywho70x has been my member name at yahoo for most of the past decade and i've never had significant problems with their servers. i have had trouble like you describe over a dial-in connection.
Hmmmmm ... I'm a broadband girl. Both at work and at home.

Hmmmmm ... I'm a broadband girl. Both at work and at home.

every now and then i'll get error messages on broadband because the outgoing mail failed, the client couldn't reload the inbox after sending mail or it couldn't load the address book. those are usually traffic problems especially during peak hours that always resolve themselves in a few minutes.

y'all are spoiled. prior 1995 those kinds of problems and worse were the norm.

I have an account also, I didn't like how I was getting spam in my regular inbox out of no where. Before it would go to my spam box where it can be easily erased. I hardly ever check that account anymore, and I signed up for Gmail.

I have an account also, I didn't like how I was getting spam in my regular inbox out of no where. Before it would go to my spam box where it can be easily erased. I hardly ever check that account anymore, and I signed up for Gmail.

spam is no doubt the biggest problem with yahoo and that is certainly due to yahoo's policy toward sharing their lists with advertisers. it takes some time to train the client to dump spam in the spam folder rather than the inbox. i only get a few stray messages in the inbox lately.

google and hotmail are both much less likely to share your address and so you don't see as much spam. i use gmail for my newsletter subscriptions and get maybe one spam message every few weeks and almost never in the inbox. my hotmail account is for serious business only and the only spam i ever get there is from microsoft.

having one account that is completely visible and public, one for subscriptions and one for private business has helped me manage my time better and certainly reduced my time dealing with spam to almost none.

I've been using Yahoo Mail since they first launched the service - which must have been in the mid 90s.

The problem was a server upgrade. I did a search and found that others have been getting the same error message as Yahoo has upgraded servers around the world.

Here's what chaps my hide: why didn't they announce it to users? I wasted a bunch of time trying to diagnose problems on my home systems and network, and was worried that someone had hacked into my account. (This was before I actually got to the point of receiving a proper error message).

If I didn't have hundreds of contacts that use that address for some of my professional activities, I'd have switched to something else. The big issue is: what service? I refuse to use anything associated with Google, and have not had good experience with AOL or MSN services.

I used MSN Hotmail for several years. I had a couple of issues. I activated my 'vacation' response and from the moment I did that, spam began to hit my inbox daily. There were also many times I could not access Hotmail. It just wouldn't let me sign in. About 24 hours later, I got a message telling me I had to change my password. THAT was a pain in the ass. I've since moved on and left Hotmail behind.

I've been using Yahoo Mail since they first launched the service - which must have been in the mid 90s.

The problem was a server upgrade. I did a search and found that others have been getting the same error message as Yahoo has upgraded servers around the world.

Here's what chaps my hide: why didn't they announce it to users? I wasted a bunch of time trying to diagnose problems on my home systems and network, and was worried that someone had hacked into my account. (This was before I actually got to the point of receiving a proper error message).

If I didn't have hundreds of contacts that use that address for some of my professional activities, I'd have switched to something else. The big issue is: what service? I refuse to use anything associated with Google, and have not had good experience with AOL or MSN services.

which smiley are you supposed to use for giggling?

1. you get what you pay for. you can't actually expect any special notifications from a free service, can you?

2. i don't particularly care for google either. what's your beef with them? i tried chrome and it was crap. i've been using ms-office programs since before microsoft stole all of them and open office works fine by me so screw google docs.

and a search window is a search window --- i sure don't need one that returns a pile of sponsored and commercially graded crap on top of what i'm really looking for.

3. i pretty much avoid aol, msn and anything to do with time warner or the microsoft network other than hotmail and i only use that for special communications --- mostly the account just sits there.

I like to have a web-based mail account that is independent from my corporate one. Yahoo has served me well for years - it's only been in the past few months that it has had issues. We'll see if they can address them.

Forum List

Back