Ya ever think that the reason our healthcare is so expensive is because of lawsuits?

We're the only county in the world that encourages malpractice lawyers to launch predatory lawsuits against our healthcare system.

You ever stop and think that maybe one way to lower Healthcare costs is to institute a "Loser Pays" System, this way a doctor does not have six months of his practice go to pay his malpractice insurance?

Six months?

Absolutely bullshit.

The New Jersey Supreme Court has overturned one of the largest medical malpractice suit verdicts in state history. Citing numerous trial errors and other problems, the justices reversed the $75 million in damages awarded to the parents of a boy who suffered brain damage as an infant when he was deprived of oxygen following surgery in 1998.

According to court documents, the child now suffers from significant intellectual, verbal and neuron motor deficiencies and requires constant care.

In the ruling announced Thursday, the justices said the Essex County trial jury was unnecessarily exposed to bias against medical professionals and Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston during the jury selection process.The case was remanded for another trial.

New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio

Horrible case but $75 MILLION??

Gee, I can't wait for O-CARE....:hmpf:

obamacare.jpg

Ironically, this photo was taken outside of an actual clinic, I would guess in America, before someone photoshopped the banner in.

But I guess you kind of had a point in there somewhere.

I think malpractice litigation is a fraction of the problem, but I don't think it's the majority. I think it's an easy scapegoat for people to bemoan while overlooking other issues.

I don't know how we could have "tort reform" without removing the regulations that the civil litigation process provides.

Does anyone have any good answers for that?

There are certain ethics that lawyers used to be vigilant in abiding, which doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I can remember when the subject of lawyers placing ginned-up ads in the Yellow Pages was considered unethical, the premise being that clients usually had been legitimately harmed and a lawyer wanted to legitimately find relief, not outshine the competition. Their advertisement came about by way of community reputation and pro bono activities. And make no mistake, lawyers made a ton of money even then.

Gee, I can't wait for O-CARE....:hmpf:

obamacare.jpg

Ironically, this photo was taken outside of an actual clinic, I would guess in America, before someone photoshopped the banner in.
Actually it wasn't... Another instance of you being wrong...

It was another gubmint run institution that libroids such as yourself are so fond of....

But I guess you kind of had a point in there somewhere.
Obviously I did...

It was obviously wasted on someone with your lesser brain capacity...

Actually it wasn't... Another instance of you being wrong...

It was another gubmint run institution that libroids such as yourself are so fond of....

Really? When and where?

Obviously I did...

It was obviously wasted on someone with your lesser brain capacity...

I am always impressed when someone else tells me how smart they are.

Are you a real Dr., or do you just play one of television?

I am always impressed when someone else tells me how smart they are.

Are you a real Dr., or do you just play one of television?

I am always impressed when one proves their lesser brain capacity in the very next post...:lol:

Maybe I could put that in my sig with a nice slice of "^pwned"...lol

The New Jersey Supreme Court has overturned one of the largest medical malpractice suit verdicts in state history. Citing numerous trial errors and other problems, the justices reversed the $75 million in damages awarded to the parents of a boy who suffered brain damage as an infant when he was deprived of oxygen following surgery in 1998.

According to court documents, the child now suffers from significant intellectual, verbal and neuron motor deficiencies and requires constant care.

In the ruling announced Thursday, the justices said the Essex County trial jury was unnecessarily exposed to bias against medical professionals and Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston during the jury selection process.The case was remanded for another trial.

New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio

Horrible case but $75 MILLION??

Some would say they should get 175 million,what price is a child's brain worth anyway? Perhaps a high claim will give an incentive to others to be extra careful in circumstances like this from now on.

We're the only county in the world that encourages malpractice lawyers to launch predatory lawsuits against our healthcare system.

You ever stop and think that maybe one way to lower Healthcare costs is to institute a "Loser Pays" System, this way a doctor does not have six months of his practice go to pay his malpractice insurance?

No I didn't.

Want to know why?

Because they costs of medical malpractice just aren't that high.

You can read about it below:

<H2 class=Heading3a itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="4">Average Cost States

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="3">Pennsylvania malpractice insurance falls in the middle with respect to average cost. Rates differ between the major insurers due to demographic and claims differences. In 2009, base rates for general surgery could be as low as $28,000 annually or as high as $50,000. Internal medicine malpractice insurance costs varied between around $6,000 to $11,000. Obstetricians/gynecologists could find themselves paying up to $64,000 or more for coverage.

Read more: The Average Cost for Medical Malpractice Insurance | eHow.com The Average Cost for Medical Malpractice Insurance | eHow.com
</H2>
Given that average people are paying tens of thousands of dollars a year for health insurance, the above quoted cost of malpractive seem pretty reasonable.

I just can't get behind tort control,it goes against my free market beliefs,it shifts the restriction from one sector to another and restricts my right as a consumer of redress of grievances. How about some type of negative outcomes type insurance I could get before surgery ,sort of like insurance I might get when flying to insure my outcome of the procedure? That would be free markets at work.

:clap2:

So funny how you guys bring up an argument, we debunk it, you move on to another lie, we debunk that, and then eventually you come back to the same lies.

Lawsuits add up to 1/2 of 1% of the total costs of healthcare. Ed Schultz squashed this last night and about a week ago. And consider that most of the lawsuits are legitimate. So what percent are frivilous? Does that add up to $1 billion? Not even worth discussing now. Lets get a great public option in place first, get the costs lowered, and then down the road we can deal with tort reform.

PS. You are only hurting yourself with this. Rich people and corporations will always have access to the best laywers. Secretly, they love lawyers. What they are pushing for with this is they want their doctors and corporations to be able to kill or injure you and pay very little when it happens. Is that wise? How much is your life worth?

It would be nice if the truth was allowed to be talked about by the right.

there are facts on the table but some just keep tipping the table over instead of facing whats on the table

Six months?

Absolutely bullshit.

My Dad's cardiologist was probably lying, right?

how would I know what you family member says.

I do know what the study Jindal paid for said though

Ity is also due to the fact that emergency rooms are used for healthcare by many in the nation

Ity is also due to the fact that emergency rooms are used for healthcare by many in the nation

It seems suddenly you have health care on the brain. I am curious, did today's talking points memo come out and tell liberals to deflect from the Weiner scandal by screaming about Health Care?

You haven't cared about Health Care in a year. Why all of a sudden?

Immie

So funny how you guys bring up an argument, we debunk it, you move on to another lie, we debunk that, and then eventually you come back to the same lies.

Lawsuits add up to 1/2 of 1% of the total costs of healthcare. Ed Schultz squashed this last night and about a week ago. And consider that most of the lawsuits are legitimate. So what percent are frivilous? Does that add up to $1 billion? Not even worth discussing now. Lets get a great public option in place first, get the costs lowered, and then down the road we can deal with tort reform.

PS. You are only hurting yourself with this. Rich people and corporations will always have access to the best laywers. Secretly, they love lawyers. What they are pushing for with this is they want their doctors and corporations to be able to kill or injure you and pay very little when it happens. Is that wise? How much is your life worth?

It would be nice if the truth was allowed to be talked about by the right.
I don't know.

They're pretty-resistant to such.....

Forum List

Back