XM25 Grenade Launcher deployed to Afghanistan

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
A new weapon, a smart weapon has been deployed to front line troops in Afghanistan. The XM25 Grenade launcher has a range of a half mile and can the grenades can be set to explode in an airburst at distance up to a half mile.

If, for example, an enemy combatant pops up from behind a wall to fire at US troops and then ducks behind it, an XM25 gunner can aim the laser range finder at the top of the wall, then program the shell to detonate one meter beyond it, showering lethal fragmentation where the insurgent is seeking cover.
US deploys 'game-changer' weapon to Afghanistan - Yahoo! News

xm25.png

This weapon can really change the face of small unit combat. To be able to reach behind barriers and terminate a threat helps in the ridges and valleys of Afghanistan. The enemy can no longer pop up and shoot and then duck back down and be safe. The only way someone can negate this threat to some degree would be to have a covered bunker, but there is also ammuntion being designed for them. I see this as a game changer. Lets hope that other countries do not get this technology soon!

They've had airburst ammo for years. I think the M397 Airburst round was developed in the 60's or 70's. You would fire it and upon impact it has a charge that would launch the projectile back up to around head height and the round would detonate. They later improved it to the M397A1, but I no longer remember what was changed.

The range is the main feature with this GL and that will certainly help in mountainous warfare. I don't think it's a game changer but it is certainly going to help the infantry guys. And that is good.

They've had airburst ammo for years. I think the M397 Airburst round was developed in the 60's or 70's. You would fire it and upon impact it has a charge that would launch the projectile back up to around head height and the round would detonate. They later improved it to the M397A1, but I no longer remember what was changed.

The range is the main feature with this GL and that will certainly help in mountainous warfare. I don't think it's a game changer but it is certainly going to help the infantry guys. And that is good.
and this one can be set to explode AFTER impact
or at a certain range

Game changer ... yes! Guy hiding behind a wall, you range it and set the warhead to go off 2 feet behind the wall. Its like shooting around corners.

Artillery firing on a ridge in close fire support cannot hit the reverse slope. Yes they have air bursts but you have to range in it in first and you can only get so close to your own guys. Also due to the trajectory of the projectiles you cannot hit s reverse steep slope like in Afghanistan. These weapons change this. You can lob one over the ridge line and explode the warhead precisely where you want. It basically eliminates taking cover on a reverse slope and even in a foxhole. You know where a MG is in a hole you can take it out in one shot.

Forum List

Back