XM-8 The Rifle of the Future

pegwinn said:
"Dated" That is the problem. The M14 and M1 are/were great traditional infantry rifles. You could reach out and tap someone, and were expected to. Modern infantry have more in common with "assault troops" and require a lighter load. I shot the above in matches. Heavy is great on the range and sucks in the field. As to dated........ When the M14 was introduced there were many who scoffed and declared the Garand to be the only true battlefield rifle of note. When the Garand was in general service, the most commonly used sniper rifle in the Corps was the 03 Springfield. We always seem to like the older stuff since it is "proven".

Personally, I have no problem with the M16/M4. And I bet I could make this puppy bark as well. :thup:

I had no problem with the M-16 myself .... just waxing nostalgic. I have a personal preference for the M-14, and I'm big enough that its weight never bothered me.

Couple of points....I can shoot the M16 very well (can't hit the broadside of a barn from inside it with a pistol) and it's a fine weapon for what it was designed for. Pegwinn's point is well taken...todays troops NEED something like the M16. HOWEVER, for sheer stopping power, range and accuracy, I will take the -14 anyday. The weight never bothered me either and I could shoot that rifle better than the M16....and out to much further ranges.

The Buck Rogers rifles we see coming out today are also a logical progression; I guess the thing that bothers me about them is that the more complex something becomes, the more likely it is to break down. Look at the .50 cal...been around a long time and isn't going away any time soon. That sucker is big, heavy and a pain in the butt to learn to shoot well but there is nothing like it on the battlefield or waiting in the wings to replace it.

Personally, I like the weapons we have today. I've never shot one but just the gritty look and the power of hearing an M-16 and a .50 cal is just intimidating.

I guess these new weapons will be able to transform into anything you want it to but I just hate the "futuristic" look of them, they look like frickin toys.

USMCDevilDog said:
Personally, I like the weapons we have today. I've never shot one but just the gritty look and the power of hearing an M-16 and a .50 cal is just intimidating.

I guess these new weapons will be able to transform into anything you want it to but I just hate the "futuristic" look of them, they look like frickin toys.
i miss the sound of a m60. the saw jsut doenst sound the same

USMCDevilDog said:

Looks like something out of a science fiction movie...the one with the bugs in it...the name escapes me at the moment.

GunnyL said:
When you get thunked on the noggin with an M-14 you ARE going down.

That sir, is a no-shitter.

GunnyL said:
I had no problem with the M-16 myself .... just waxing nostalgic. I have a personal preference for the M-14, and I'm big enough that its weight never bothered me.

My personal preference is the M1. Absofreakinglutley love that weapon. It ties with my Barret for "most likely to make me grin like an idiot all day". Weight in the field bothered me. I max out at 190, so I always got to help by humping ammo too........

CSM said:
The Buck Rogers rifles we see coming out today are also a logical progression; I guess the thing that bothers me about them is that the more complex something becomes, the more likely it is to break down. Look at the .50 cal...been around a long time and isn't going away any time soon. That sucker is big, heavy and a pain in the butt to learn to shoot well but there is nothing like it on the battlefield or waiting in the wings to replace it.

The Buck Rogers rifles will have growing pains just like the M16 did I'll bet. But, I am a sucker for gadgets and new tech. I wish it was made by an American Company instead of H&K. I know H&K makes a good weapon but dammit I wanna winchester or colt...... Oh yeah, think the M2 is a bear? I'll take that over the MK19 anyday, except once we get to the shootin part.

This one so far get my vote for best thread of the week :beer:

pegwinn said:
Aliens (the second of the Alien trilogy) had Marines and some really cool weapons.
yeah that was a cool indeed! ima have to watch that while im taking some medical time off

Forum List

Back