XM-8 Is Gun of the Future

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Damn, why didn't we have these when I was in?
:firing:
2_22_080904_gun_future_450.jpg

NEW YORK — U.S. soldiers have been waiting for a long time for weapons to replace current ones that rely on Vietnam-era technology. And the new weapons are right around the corner.

freeandfun1 said:
Damn, why didn't we have these when I was in?
:firing:
2_22_080904_gun_future_450.jpg

Hmmm, I knew about the XM8 for some time now. Personally, I would have made the carry handle more squared, and loaded the whole thing with wiever rails. And does it have a back-up iron sight for when the red dot sight fails?

M4's, M203's, AN/PEQ2's, Aimpoints, ect. are far more advanced then the infamous M16A1 and M14 (my personal favorite.)

Semper Fi said:
Hmmm, I knew about the XM8 for some time now. Personally, I would have made the carry handle more squared, and loaded the whole thing with wiever rails. And does it have a back-up iron sight for when the red dot sight fails?

M4's, M203's, AN/PEQ2's, Aimpoints, ect. are far more advanced then the infamous M16A1 and M14 (my personal favorite.)

An M203 is nothing but a M16 with a 40mm grenade launcher attached.

Look closely and you'll see the M16/M4 parts bin in action. :)

There's a version of this weapon, or a similiar piece with a 20mm Lower half...holds 5 20mm HE rounds (sorta to replace/augment M203s).

:)

freeandfun1 said:
An M203 is nothing but a M16 with a 40mm grenade launcher attached.

No, the M203 is the 40mm grenade launcher, the M16A2 is differant. And the M203 has come a long way from the M79 of Vietnam era weaponry.

And look at the differances of the M16A2 over the M16A1. The A2 has a differant flashhider, chromed chamber (I think...DK?), ribbed handgaurd. Way better than the accident prone A1. And the M4 is also a lot further along than the CAR15/XM177 of the 'Nam. My point is, Vietnam era armament is definately alot older and noticabley outdated than modern American small arms. We seemed to go backward going from the Colt M191A1 to the Beretta M9. IMO, we should use a .45 of some sort, maybe a MK23, or a Glock. 1911 is always trusty, too.

And the reputation of the M16A2 being a piece of crap is really a tad bit redundant. The reputation given to 'the M16' comes from the lack of cleaning kits issued with the M16A1 in Vietnam. Modern M16A2s have fewer shortcomings, except for the small 5.56mm NATO cartridge; a bit lacking in stopping power.

Ok, Im gonna stop now...I could go on and on and on...

Semper Fi said:
No, the M203 is the 40mm grenade launcher, the M16A2 is differant. And the M203 has come a long way from the M79 of Vietnam era weaponry.

And look at the differances of the M16A2 over the M16A1. The A2 has a differant flashhider, chromed chamber (I think...DK?), ribbed handgaurd. Way better than the accident prone A1. And the M4 is also a lot further along than the CAR15/XM177 of the 'Nam. My point is, Vietnam era armament is definately alot older and noticabley outdated than modern American small arms. We seemed to go backward going from the Colt M191A1 to the Beretta M9. IMO, we should use a .45 of some sort, maybe a MK23, or a Glock. 1911 is always trusty, too.

And the reputation of the M16A2 being a piece of crap is really a tad bit redundant. The reputation given to 'the M16' comes from the lack of cleaning kits issued with the M16A1 in Vietnam. Modern M16A2s have fewer shortcomings, except for the small 5.56mm NATO cartridge; a bit lacking in stopping power.

Ok, Im gonna stop now...I could go on and on and on...

Dude, I carried an M203 in GW1. I know what a M203 is. It is an M16A1,2,3 whatever, that has a grenade launcher attached underneath the barrel.

M203.JPG

Features: The M203 40mm Grenade Launcher is used while attached to an M16A2 5.56mm rifle.

From the USMC website: M203 40mm Grenade Launcher

The M203 is indeed an M16 with the grenade launcher attached to it. The Flash supressor on the A2 is a tad shorter than on the A1. The A2 is lighter than the A1 and has a slightly longer effective range of fire. The A2 no longer has full automatic fire mode, It uses 3 round bursts instead. The A2 has less jamming frequency than the A1 as well.

But you can also attach the M203 grenade launcher to an M4A1 Carbine. Therefore an M203 is not and M16 with a grenade launcher. I suppose one could call an M16/M203 combo an M203, but I refer to an M203 as a 40mm grenade launcher that can be attached to an M16 or M4 or anything you wish it to be, as long as it mounts on it.

DKSuddeth said:
The M203 is indeed an M16 with the grenade launcher attached to it. The Flash supressor on the A2 is a tad shorter than on the A1. The A2 is lighter than the A1 and has a slightly longer effective range of fire. The A2 no longer has full automatic fire mode, It uses 3 round bursts instead. The A2 has less jamming frequency than the A1 as well.

Righto! When I got out in 1992, our unit had the A2, was switching to the M9 (loved my M1911 though) and just received the SAW.

The bitch was that I had to run around in the Iraqi desert in an antiquated and crappy M901. We called it the "slow-moving coffin".

The M203 40mm Grenade Launcher is used while attached to an M16A2 5.56mm rifle. It is a lightweight, compact, breech loading, pump action, single shot launcher. The launcher consists of a hand guard and sight assembly with an adjustable metallic folding, short-range blade sight assembly, and an aluminum receiver assembly which houses the barrel latch, barrel stop and firing mechanism. The launcher is capable of firing a variety of low velocity 40mm ammunition.
The launcher also has a quadrant sight which may be attached to the M16A2 carrying handle and is used when precision is required out to the maximum effective range of the weapon.

Background: The M203 was designed and procured as the replacement for the M79 grenade launcher of the Vietnam era.

Semper Fi said:
But you can also attach the M203 grenade launcher to an M4A1 Carbine. Therefore an M203 is not and M16 with a grenade launcher. I suppose one could call an M16/M203 combo an M203, but I refer to an M203 as a 40mm grenade launcher that can be attached to an M16 or M4 or anything you wish it to be, as long as it mounts on it.

When you get to boot camp, argue with the DI's.

Since the M203 IS NOT a stand alone weapon, the RIFLE portion becomes secondary and therefore, whether it is an M16 it is attached to or an M4 (which is NOTHING BUT A SHORTENED version of the M16), it is refered to as an M203.

freeandfun1 said:
When you get to boot camp, argue with the DI's.

Since the M203 IS NOT a stand alone weapon, the RIFLE portion becomes secondary and therefore, whether it is an M16 it is attached to or an M4 (which is NOTHING BUT A SHORTENED version of the M16), it is refered to as an M203.

Agreed. Glad we could come to a compromise.

But the M4 is more than a shortened version of an M16. The M16 doesnt have a telescoping stock like the M4 does. ;)

Semper Fi said:
But the M4 is more than a shortened version of an M16. The M16 doesnt have a telescoping stock like the M4 does. ;)

The M4 belongs to the same family of weapons as M16/AR15.

The telescoping stock helps in making it a shortened version.

It still uses the same firing mechanism.

EDIT** BTW: It is not a compromise. I am right.

You will discover in boot camp that you don't tell a DI that you "compromised" with him. Just admit you were wrong and move on. You will have to do less push ups if you take that advice!

Semper Fi said:
Agreed. Glad we could come to a compromise.

Okay...(sigh) M203...It's a 40mm Grenade launcher NO MATTER on what it's mounted to. In the arms room, we'd call an M16/M4 (where it's an M203A1)an "M203" to keep them accounted for.

So - it's 'correct' in 'real' terms to label an M16 w/ an M203 as "an M203"...but it's not 'technically' correct. "technically" it's am M16 with an attached M203. :)

The point that it's attached or not isn't the deciding factor on what we call the 'launcher' - which is "M203".

Example:
"hey Private Snuffy - pick up that M203 off the floor, and attach it to that M16 over there"

;)

:D

Oh...and the M4 is like an M16 but shorter, with a collapsable stock, a flat upper receiver rail and a removable handle/rear sight.

-=d=- said:
Okay...(sigh) M203...It's a 40mm Grenade launcher NO MATTER on what it's mounted to. In the arms room, we'd call an M16/M4 (where it's an M203A1)an "M203" to keep them accounted for.

So - it's 'correct' in 'real' terms to label an M16 w/ an M203 as "an M203"...but it's not 'technically' correct. "technically" it's am M16 with an attached M203. :)

The point that it's attached or not isn't the deciding factor on what we call the 'launcher' - which is "M203".

Example:
"hey Private Snuffy - pick up that M203 off the floor, and attach it to that M16 over there"

;)

:D

Oh...and the M4 is like an M16 but shorter, with a collapsable stock, a flat upper receiver rail and a removable handle/rear sight.

glad you could confirm what has already been presented.

(sigh)

freeandfun1 said:
glad you could confirm what has already been presented.

(sigh)

Uh - no...that hasn't been presented. What has been presented is text from a couple people who wish they were still in - relying on 20 year old memories.

YOU said the M203 is not a 'stand alone' weapon, AND an M4 is 'NOTHING' but a shortened M16. both of which were not technically correct.

enjoy!

freeandfun1 said:
The M4 belongs to the same family of weapons as M16/AR15.

The telescoping stock helps in making it a shortened version.

It still uses the same firing mechanism.

EDIT** BTW: It is not a compromise. I am right.

You will discover in boot camp that you don't tell a DI that you "compromised" with him. Just admit you were wrong and move on. You will have to do less push ups if you take that advice!

Yes, i know the M4 belongs in the Armalite family,I was just beating a dead dog.
But I suppose my information has mislead me. If thats the 'technical' term, than I guess I was wrong.

freeandfun1 said:
Righto! When I got out in 1992, our unit had the A2, was switching to the M9 (loved my M1911 though) and just received the SAW.

The bitch was that I had to run around in the Iraqi desert in an antiquated and crappy M901. We called it the "slow-moving coffin".

Just pointing out again where you are wrong. You are agreeing with Duane that an M203 IS a grenade launcher attached to an M16. When in fact, it is NOT - it's an M203 regardless of the weapon it's attached too. Having an M203 ON an m16 does NOT magically make the M16 now an M203, but an M26 WITH an M203.

There's a difference.

Forum List

Back