Wyoming Makes Power Play-2,500 MW

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Wyoming Makes Power Play
Wind-Energy Developers Eye California, but State May Be Tough Market to Crack.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323398204578489674270073906.html
By MARK PETERS and REBECCA SMITH
RAWLINS, Wyo.—Wyoming has strong winds and a sparse population, making it a great place to put wind turbines but a lousy place to sell wind energy.

So a determined group of wind-energy developers are pushing plans to turn the state into a top producer of wind power in the U.S.—up from No. 14 as of the end of 2012, according to the American Wind Energy Association—with the goal of shipping the electricity primarily to the Southwest, including California
The Anschutz project would dot the rocky landscape here with 1,000 turbines, producing 2,500 megawatts, or enough electricity to supply an estimated one million homes when the wind is blowing. Last fall, the federal Bureau of Land Management deemed the site suitable for wind development after nearly five years of review. The developers, who hope to start construction next year, continue to seek additional approvals for the project and the TransWest line, which would run an estimated 725 miles through four states terminating near Las Vegas, with the bulk of power being sold from there into the California market.

The plains states could power much of the US with wind power. That would create many good paying jobs in an area that does not have that many job oppertunities. A win-win for all.

They should put some kind of grill over the blades that protect the birds.

Electric_Stand_fans_with_metal_Grill.jpg

Source: patton electric industrial fans parts, patton electric industrial fans parts Manufacturers in LuLuSoSo.com - page 1

Wind power generation is not worth one single dead bird.
If hydrocarbons aren't allowed to kill or spoil, why should wind?

The difference is hydrocarbons kill human beings with poor air quality. If smoking is bad just imagine what that shit does to our air?

Not in this country. Overall, emissions are at a 20 year low.
There's more shit blowing over from China than we generate ourselves.

Nope, I don't want to see a single bird harmed by wind generation. Therefor it should all be banned. Facetious yes. As facetious as the campaign against hydrocarbons.

• Banned
I watched my dad and many others within my family die from smoke. Do you really think that birds don't die from crap in the air?

Not saying things don't die from wind but just stating how I feel. Do you think solar can be good?

I watched my dad and many others within my family die from smoke. Do you really think that birds don't die from crap in the air?

Not saying things don't die from wind but just stating how I feel. Do you think solar can be good?

The solar manufacturing process is toxic as hell. Disposal of old units probably as much.
What kind of smoke befell your family?

I suppose what I'm getting at is the double standards applied to various industries. Hydrocarbons perpetually get a bad rap no matter how far the industry has advanced with respect to improvements in practices, processes, and emissions.

The solar manufacturing process is toxic as hell. Disposal of old units probably as much.

I suppose what I'm getting at is the double standards applied to various industries. Hydrocarbons perpetually get a bad rap no matter how far the industry has advanced with respect to improvements in practices, processes, and emissions.

1. Cig smoke. It isn't good for people.
2. I agree and we certainly need to clean it up.
3. I support hydrocarbons and the advancement of such.

But I support all forms of energy. Can we agree that all forms of energy is needed?

But I support all forms of energy. Can we agree that all forms of energy is needed?

Say "please". :D

Say "please". :D

Please :eusa_angel:

Are all forms of energy "needed"? I wouldn't give it a resounding Yes, but I do think all forms should be considered based on certain criteria. Forcing something on the market (i.e. ethanol) based on shaky science and questionable industry motives isn't necessarily in the best interest of consumers, the environment, or the economy.

Tidal power, if harnessed, could supply power to areas within 100 miles of our coasts...

... solar, thermal, natural gas and wind could supply most of the rest of the nation...

... with very little left to be supplied by coal and oil.

Sure, what is supplied by natural gas, coal and oil would still be a little dirty...

... but no where near what it is now...

... and we would be independent of foreign energy.

Now that the government has begun to wake up to these facts...

... we may achieve it - but it likely will take 50 years.

Tidal power, if harnessed, could supply power to areas within 100 miles of our coasts...

... solar, thermal, natural gas and wind could supply most of the rest of the nation...

... with very little left to be supplied by coal and oil.

Sure, what is supplied by natural gas, coal and oil would still be a little dirty...

... but no where near what it is now...

... and we would be independent of foreign energy.

Now that the government has begun to wake up to these facts...

... we may achieve it - but it likely will take 50 years.

Add to that an electrical grid that doesn't lose 60% of the power it generates...ours was designed in the 1940's for God's sake.

Forum List

Back