Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
Boy Shot By Police Fighting For Life

Officers Shot, Killed Robbery Suspect, Accidentally Shot 2-Year-Old

POSTED: Monday, March 29, 2010
UPDATED: 12:46 pm EDT March 29,2010

22968655_240X135.jpg

A witness said two adults and two children were in the car.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A 2-year-old boy shot Friday while police fired at a robbery suspect is still fighting for his life.

Witnesses said Daniel Crichton, his mother and a 7-year-old girl were inside a car at a fast-food drive-through when the bank robbery suspect tried to carjack their vehicle.

Police shot and killed the suspect, and the boy was also hit twice by officers' gunfire. He is still in critical condition at Shands.

Daniel's mother, who was driving the car, was also shot in the foot. She underwent surgery on Saturday and is listed in fair condition.

Sheriff John Rutherford said five officers fired 42 shots at the unnamed suspect as he tried to drive away in the car.

Boy Shot By Police Fighting For Life - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

22968655_240X135.jpg

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A 2-year-old boy shot Friday while police fired at a robbery suspect is still fighting for his life.

Witnesses said Daniel Crichton, his mother and a 7-year-old girl were inside a car at a fast-food drive-through when the bank robbery suspect tried to carjack their vehicle.

Police shot and killed the suspect, and the boy was also hit twice by officers' gunfire. He is still in critical condition at Shands.

Daniel's mother, who was driving the car, was also shot in the foot. She underwent surgery on Saturday and is listed in fair condition.

Sheriff John Rutherford said five officers fired 42 shots at the unnamed suspect as he tried to drive away in the car.

Boy Shot By Police Fighting For Life - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

Let's hope he makes a full recovery. :eusa_pray:

Well, obviously, this is a result of BushCheneyHalliburton, and all police should be relieved of their duties and marijuana should be legalized.

That sucks.

Yes it does. Too many unintended consequences with questionable police action...high speed chases come to mind.

Police need to come up with methods that debilitate a suspect in situations like this without using lethal force when innocent victims are involved.

I am very familiar with that area. I lived near there for 3 years.

Well, obviously, this is a result of BushCheneyHalliburton, and all police should be relieved of their duties and marijuana should be legalized.

That's NOT funny...

That sucks.

Yes it does. Too many unintended consequences with questionable police action...high speed chases come to mind.

Police need to come up with methods that debilitate a suspect in situations like this without using lethal force when innocent victims are involved.

Here's an idea.

Aim for the tires. As a driver, I'd take my chances in a car accident vs. getting bullet holes put in me.

That sucks.

I guess they were out of taser range.

22968655_240X135.jpg

You're so fucking stupid.:cuckoo:

22968655_240X135.jpg

Yea Gunny, the 2 year old was obviously guilty of attempted robbery...

You are as obtuse as a human can be. You are proof people can coma-walk...

22968655_240X135.jpg

It is just as "obtuse" to believe police purposefully shot a 2 year old.

Or to place all of the blame on the police and none on the CRIMINAL WHO JUST ROBBED A BANK.

Rick

Here's an idea.

Aim for the tires. As a driver, I'd take my chances in a car accident vs. getting bullet holes put in me.
TV stupidity
Really dumb idea. Rounds bouncing off the pavement don't stop there - they keep going.
In this incident the tragedy is a child hit by a misplaced round and you want to encourage more wild shooting?

Or to place all of the blame on the police and none on the CRIMINAL WHO JUST ROBBED A BANK.

Rick

I TOTALLY blame the people that shot the 2 year old...the POLICE...

The 2 year old and his mother had nothing to do with the bank robber or the robbery. They were at a Wendys drive-thru and the robber carjacked the vehicle ...

Authorities say 2-year-old old Daniel Crichton was shot in the arm and upper torso on Friday after a suspected bank robber forced his way into the car in which the toddler was seated.

The child's mother, Joann Cooper, was hit once in the foot. A 7-year-old girl also in the car was not injured.

The suspect was killed but has not been identified.

Five officers with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office fired a total of 42 rounds at the vehicle.

The gunman did not discharge his weapon.

Read more: Boy, 2, accidentally shot by police still critical - Florida AP - MiamiHerald.com

Sheriff John Rutherford had few solid conclusions about the complex sequence of events that played out Friday afternoon at a suburban commercial strip. Five officers fired during the shooting, which Rutherford characterized Saturday as a "very volatile situation."

None of the officers have been formally interviewed as a criminal investigation is underway. An administrative review will follow if the State Attorney's Office determines no laws were broken by the officers.

"I just don't want to try to speculate on why they felt the need to shoot at the suspect while he was in the vehicle," Rutherford said Saturday.

Sheriff's Office policy prohibits officers from firing at a moving vehicle other than as a last resort to prevent death or great bodily harm to the officer or another person; as a last resort to prevent escape of a felon who would pose imminent threat of death or great bodily harm; and when authorized by a watch commander or higher authority.

"If the officers felt that they had a opportunity to end it without endangering the carjack victims, then I think it was wise that they would try to do that, if they could do that safely," Rutherford said Saturday. "And I don't know the answer to all that yet."

NAACP calls for independent inquiry into why five cops fired 42 shots, killing robbery/carjacking suspect and injuring boy and his mother

baptism2.jpg

Sheriff John Rutherford had few solid conclusions about the complex sequence of events that played out Friday afternoon at a suburban commercial strip. Five officers fired during the shooting, which Rutherford characterized Saturday as a "very volatile situation."

None of the officers have been formally interviewed as a criminal investigation is underway. An administrative review will follow if the State Attorney's Office determines no laws were broken by the officers.

"I just don't want to try to speculate on why they felt the need to shoot at the suspect while he was in the vehicle," Rutherford said Saturday.

Sheriff's Office policy prohibits officers from firing at a moving vehicle other than as a last resort to prevent death or great bodily harm to the officer or another person; as a last resort to prevent escape of a felon who would pose imminent threat of death or great bodily harm; and when authorized by a watch commander or higher authority.

"If the officers felt that they had a opportunity to end it without endangering the carjack victims, then I think it was wise that they would try to do that, if they could do that safely," Rutherford said Saturday. "And I don't know the answer to all that yet."

Believe it or not sometimes cops do fuck up. I know, I know, extremely hard to believe, but it does happen.

Anyway here goes my blue sky speculation.

The cops didn't shoot the kid deliberately. But some of the cops' bullets or a bullet, hit the kid. So the kid was shot by a cop or cops.

Question – were the cops legally justified in discharging their weapons in these circumstances? We don't know yet and we won't know until there's been an investigation and it's going to have to painstaking and highly detailed.

However, I don't think it was a good idea and it may come down that the cops were simply not acting properly in shooting at the suspect who was apparently inside a vehicle with innocent people. I know I will be accused of Monday morning quarterbacking but when you are given a firearm at work you are assumed to be well trained and capable of making the necessary judgements to ensure that you use the firearm responsibly.

Five cops, 42 shots into a vehicle which was being carjacked by an offender and had innocent persons inside that vehicle. I'm really glad I'm not one of those cops.

Forum List

Back