WWII vet, learns he's not a U.S. citizen

Discussion in 'Military' started by Shadow, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    WWII vet, 95, learns he's not a U.S. citizen

CENTRALIA, Wash. -- A 95-year-old military veteran just discovered he's not a U.S. citizen.

"I always thought I was an American citizen," Leeland Davidson said.

That is until he decided to visit relatives in Canada.

"We went up to get an enhanced driver's license and they turned me down," he said.

He was rejected because it turns out the World War II veteran is Canadian.

WWII vet, 95, learns he's not a U.S. citizen | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon - Portland, Oregon | News

2. BrianBursch

BrianBursch Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :cuckoo:O.K. Now this is a case of ignorance of our Government Employees, Come on get off your duffs and think about this the man has been in this country all his life, went to war for this country, and by the way if he wasn't a citizen, how was he able to fight in our army, Huh, back than things were goofy, yes, and they are even more messed up now. Dept. of Immigration, Give him his rights and stop messing with something likes this, if you people have all this time to mess with a 95 yr old U.S. VETERAN, than we need to go into the Immigration Department and start making some cuts there.....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,793
    I wonder if he ever tried to vote. If he did it should have alerted him to the paperwork problem 70 years ago. Another reason to vote.

4. The Gadfly

The Gadfly Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +611
    I wondered about that too, Whitehall; but then the article mentioned something about him receiving Social Security. If that's the case, he must have had a Social Security number, and that, plus proof of residence, would have allowed him to register to vote in a lot of states. It doesn't say whether he ever did register to vote, but he likely could have; that plus what the lawyer told him back in the 40's and I can see why he would have assumed he was a citizen.

They should be able to make him a naturalized citizen fairly easily, because of his military service, but if either of his parents was a natural-born American, he already is an American by birth, even though he was born in Canada. Maybe they can find his mother's birth record, since apparently his father's is unavailable; that would settle the issue; the whole thing seems to be less about whether he's an American citizen, than proving it. Somehow, it just doesn't seem fair that this should come up so late in the old man's life, and I sure hope someone can get it straightened out for him.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. FuelRod

FuelRod Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +924
    More proof we're losing the war on terror.

6. Liability

Liability Locked Account. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,063
    I would have to do actual work (involving effort on my part) to verify my hazy recollection, so take this with a grain of salt:

I seem to recall that Congress can, by their own special legislation, make this man a U.S. citizen.

If that's correct, then somebody needs to get on the horn, call this guy's local Congress-person and make the suggestion.

Seems to me that it should happen "post haste."

EDIT: See, 77 Stat. 5 (1963). It was via a private act of Congress that Sir Winston Churchill was made an "honorary" U.S. citizen. But
    -- http://supreme.justia.com/constitution/article-1/35-naturalization-and-citizenship.html [Note, in that piece, footnote 1227 refers to 77 Stat. 5 (1963) which is way too long and ponderous to quote.]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  7. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,793
    I think it makes a good story to sell papers but there isn't much to it. Just because he was turned down by some bureaucrat for something called an "enhanced drivers license" (still driving at 95?) it doesn't mean he is not a citizen.

8. JamesInFlorida

JamesInFlorida Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    You don't have to be a citizen to serve in the military. A friend of mine was a South Korean citizen and served in the US Army (he received his citizenship after a couple of years in the military though).

Not sure if they let non-citizens in back then-but today they do.

9. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,103
    He's Canadian.

That's even better!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,429
    My Grandfather was a Swede fighting for the US in WWII. He said they just came around and asked "who wants to be a US Citizen?" and they just knocked it off in a day