WWII Vet in Virginia battles homeowners group over flag issue

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
WWII vet in Virginia battles homeowners group over flag issue | delmarvanow.com | The Daily Times

RICHMOND — A 90-year-old Army veteran who won the Medal of Honor during World War II is battling his neighborhood association for what he says is his right to fly the American flag from a pole in his front yard.

Col. Van T. Barfoot says he erected the 21-foot flagpole in September, raising the flag daily at sunrise and retiring it at sunset.

The Sussex Square homeowners’ association told him recently that the free-standing pole violates the townhouse neighborhood’s aesthetic guidelines and ordered him to remove it by 5 p.m. Friday or face a lawsuit.

“I don’t have any qualms with their authority, but the thing about it is that I cannot get enough conversation out of them where we can try to work out a solution,” Barfoot said Wednesday in a telephone interview.

Barfoot, who moved into his townhouse in June, won his medal for actions near Carano, Italy, in 1944 and is one of about 90 surviving Medal of Honor winners. He also won the Purple Heart and other decorations, and served in Korea and Vietnam before retiring from the service in 1974.

“I’ve flown the flag at my home as long as I can remember,” said Barfoot, who lived in rural Amelia County before moving to suburban Richmond. “This is the first time in the last 36 years that I’ve been unable to put my flag up on the same pole, the same staff and take it down when it’s time to come down.”

Fuck the Sussex Square homeowners’ association. The guy served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam with over thirty years of service. Plus, winning several awards including the Purple Heart AND The Medal of Honor.

As far as I'm concerned, he can put whatever he wants on his lawn and I hope the Judge fines these people for coming to court for wasting his time with such a lawsuit.

Thoughts?

Donald Trump faced a similar suit in West Palm. He sued them for $25 million.

I remember Penn and Teller doing a related episode on these groups. Ridiculous. I believe that a person has a right to put whatever on their lawn as long as it's not a health hazard or threat to someone else.

But the balls of these cowards to try and do this to guy. They should be proud of the fact the guy decides to live in their neighborhood. I know I would be.

I remember Penn and Teller doing a related episode on these groups. Ridiculous. I believe that a person has a right to put whatever on their lawn as long as it's not a health hazard or threat to someone else.

But the balls of these cowards to try and do this to guy. They should be proud of the fact the guy decides to live in their neighborhood. I know I would be.

I understand why such ordinances are in place, but it shouldn't come down to the size of a flag.

I understand why such ordinances are in place, but it shouldn't come down to the size of a flag.

Exactly. I can understand it too. The other thing is, these people are not really trying to work out a solution with the guy.

WWII vet in Virginia battles homeowners group over flag issue | delmarvanow.com | The Daily Times

RICHMOND — A 90-year-old Army veteran who won the Medal of Honor during World War II is battling his neighborhood association for what he says is his right to fly the American flag from a pole in his front yard.

Col. Van T. Barfoot says he erected the 21-foot flagpole in September, raising the flag daily at sunrise and retiring it at sunset.

The Sussex Square homeowners’ association told him recently that the free-standing pole violates the townhouse neighborhood’s aesthetic guidelines and ordered him to remove it by 5 p.m. Friday or face a lawsuit.

“I don’t have any qualms with their authority, but the thing about it is that I cannot get enough conversation out of them where we can try to work out a solution,” Barfoot said Wednesday in a telephone interview.

Barfoot, who moved into his townhouse in June, won his medal for actions near Carano, Italy, in 1944 and is one of about 90 surviving Medal of Honor winners. He also won the Purple Heart and other decorations, and served in Korea and Vietnam before retiring from the service in 1974.

“I’ve flown the flag at my home as long as I can remember,” said Barfoot, who lived in rural Amelia County before moving to suburban Richmond. “This is the first time in the last 36 years that I’ve been unable to put my flag up on the same pole, the same staff and take it down when it’s time to come down.”

Fuck the Sussex Square homeowners’ association. The guy served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam with over thirty years of service. Plus, winning several awards including the Purple Heart AND The Medal of Honor.

As far as I'm concerned, he can put whatever he wants on his lawn and I hope the Judge fines these people for coming to court for wasting his time with such a lawsuit.

Thoughts?

I agree with you 100%

he should of just had them put a cell phone tower in his yard and put a flag on it like my friend's neighbor. No one would be bitching when they get great cell phone service.

HOAs have rules and etc in the leases, yes. However, why will the HOA not make an exception? The executive committe probably has the administrative authority to do so, and yet has not. There must be more to the story than what is being told.

Thoughts?

Dogbert was either visited by the Three Spirits or is the most recent victim of identity theft, I just can't think of any other explanation

Dogbert was either visited by the Three Spirits or is the most recent victim of identity theft, I just can't think of any other explanation

Nope, if you look at any of my threads, I am huge fan of anything that is positive and helps veterans. If you recall, I also run a information group about PTSD that increases awareness about it. At the present moment, it has 13,556 members.

This man in this story is a hero. For this group to not at least make an exception for this man is disgusting. He is part of the reason why they can act like complete assholes. And for them to deny him his right to have a flag pole so he can raise the flag that he defended countless times proudly is just plain wrong.

Nope, if you look at any of my threads, I am huge fan of anything that is positive and helps veterans. If you recall, I also run a information group about PTSD that increases awareness about it. At the present moment, it has 13,556 members.

This man in this story is a hero. For this group to not at least make an exception for this man is disgusting. He is part of the reason why they can act like complete assholes. And for them to deny him his right to have a flag pole so he can raise the flag that he defended countless times proudly is just plain wrong.

Good man.

Thoughts?

He was stupid enough to live in an HOA run neighborhood. He can pay the price of his liberty to make that decision?
Or is ne not responsible for his decisions?

Forum List

Back