WWII Reenacting Photos

Actually, I think it's a Chaffee.

Edit: Nope...Chaffee only has five wheels.

Could be but the the top two wheels (on both ends) are reversed but so are the ones on the T64. I can find out, they'll be at Bulge I ten days from now. I think it's the second SS Panzer but I'll check.
P.S. Thanks for the link.
Here is where we buy all of our authentic reproductions:

Lost Battalions Homepage

Answered before I saw your edit. Wonder if the mounted it in reverse on a T64?

Last edited:
that VW beetle is out of place, especailly with a Grossdeutschland divisional insignia, a heer formation used only on the russian front.

that VW beetle is out of place, especailly with a Grossdeutschland divisional insignia, a heer formation used only on the russian front.

True But then again the host company for this event IS Grossdeutschland, plus many units and elements of units were pulled west for Nordwind. Besides by that time of year wasn't the remains of the unit in East Prussia? There was a lot of back and forth traffic and Parts of units were being constantly "borrowed" to form Kampfgroups where ever needed so is it likely or possible a small detachment was involved - yes.

True But then again the host company for this event IS Grossdeutschland, plus many units and elements of units were pulled west for Nordwind. Besides by that time of year wasn't the remains of the unit in East Prussia? There was a lot of back and forth traffic and Parts of units were being constantly "borrowed" to form Kampfgroups where ever needed so is it likely or possible a small detachment was involved - yes.
Actually no, that particular formation never made it to the west.

German practise with weapons was to leave equipment behind when reforming elsewhere, and the Heer did not send regiments back and forth, usually once in a division a regiment stayed unless the formation was disolved. Division signs where repainted on such equipment.

I believe you are confusing the Fuhrer-Begleit-Brigade with GD since they were technically part of GD Corps, a formation that existed mostly on paper.

Fuhrer-Begleit-Brigade used a stalhelm as a divisional insignia, but not a white one (which was GD) but usually a blue one.

In any case, neither formation was part of the Nordwind operation (I assume this is the attack in Alsace) which were elements of the 25th Panzergrenadier, 47th Volksgrenadier and 7th Fallschirmjäger divisions.

hope im not hijackin here

rare german photos

hot_seat.jpg

vehculoexperimental.jpg

1196xk.jpg

circo.jpg

osiolek2.jpg

lattefresco8kw.jpg

officerofhermangoring5ec.jpg

note the white ranks and "Herman Goring" cuff title.

notodos.jpg

Not everydody was happy with the boss.

bigheinz9gx.jpg

shaving2zb.jpg

luftpilotwithdog9mo.jpg

Actually no, that particular formation never made it to the west.

German practise with weapons was to leave equipment behind when reforming elsewhere, and the Heer did not send regiments back and forth, usually once in a division a regiment stayed unless the formation was disolved. Division signs where repainted on such equipment.

I believe you are confusing the Fuhrer-Begleit-Brigade with GD since they were technically part of GD Corps, a formation that existed mostly on paper.

Fuhrer-Begleit-Brigade used a stalhelm as a divisional insignia, but not a white one (which was GD) but usually a blue one.

In any case, neither formation was part of the Nordwind operation (I assume this is the attack in Alsace) which were elements of the 25th Panzergrenadier, 47th Volksgrenadier and 7th Fallschirmjäger divisions.

Those were the units used in the initial assault. I do 2nd Gebirgsjager and that Division was destroyed at the tail end of Nordwind after being sent down from Lappland to assist in the assault. They arrived just in time to hold off the final allied push long enough for the remnants of the other units to escape.
By 1944 the Germans were starting to form kampfgroups and "korps" out of what was available for the moment and the final throws of Nordwind definitely constituted such a situation. My readings of individual accounts have shown soldiers home on leave, other official duty away from their units or temporarily pulled from other units were often used in this manner. Not saying that was the case here since I don't know, just saying the German organization and training was designed to allow for this aspect.

Forum List

Back