WTI crude has crashed to $50 a barrel. What's the next move?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
The drop in crude oil over the last 6 weeks is the steepest drop in prices in the last 10 years. It looks similar the the massive decline that occurred in 2014 but in terms of slope it is even steeper. So does it V bottom off of $50 and go up or is it headed to $40? Just a little factoid, it costs the UK $44 to PRODUCE a barrel of additional oil.

The simple answer is I don't know. The more complicated answer gets really complicated as in:

Russia, Saudi Arabia and the US determine oil prices with some fields in the US being in the teens for breakeven.

If and when pipeline deals get cut in Africa and South America could see oil prices go to single digits.

substitution of methane, which is continuously produced in swamps and tundra could bring prices down into the equivalent of less than one dollar barrel equivalent.

The next move? Unemployment in Texas and blaming it on the new Democrats in the House.
Everything is not politics. This is the Energy forum and I'm pointing out an historic drop in crude oil prices in terms of how fast it has declined over the past few weeks. Of course no one knows which way it's going to go that is what makes it interesting.

The next move? Unemployment in Texas and blaming it on the new Democrats in the House.
Everything is not politics. This is the Energy forum and I'm pointing out an historic drop in crude oil prices in terms of how fast it has declined over the past few weeks. Of course no one knows which way it's going to go that is what makes it interesting.

Sorry I divulged your playbook too early.

I have no playbook. I am an investor and I'm interested in hearing what people think about this very unusual movement in oil prices. Like I said everything is not about Politics, at least not with me.

The simple answer is I don't know. The more complicated answer gets really complicated as in:

Russia, Saudi Arabia and the US determine oil prices with some fields in the US being in the teens for breakeven.

If and when pipeline deals get cut in Africa and South America could see oil prices go to single digits.

substitution of methane, which is continuously produced in swamps and tundra could bring prices down into the equivalent of less than one dollar barrel equivalent.
I don't think that is a real possibility.

Frackers got lean in last downturn and can operate at $50.....anyone have figures on why.....where the xtra supply is coming from and how much cause I doubt demand is down

I have no playbook. I am an investor and I'm interested in hearing what people think about this very unusual movement in oil prices. Like I said everything is not about Politics, at least not with me.
Perhaps prices were artificially high to begin with like housing...…..

Watch the Ruble Fall...........then watch the situation in Ukraine.............The Screws are being turned on Russia again.

LOL

The drop in crude oil over the last 6 weeks is the steepest drop in prices in the last 10 years. It looks similar the the massive decline that occurred in 2014 but in terms of slope it is even steeper. So does it V bottom off of $50 and go up or is it headed to $40? Just a little factoid, it costs the UK $44 to PRODUCE a barrel of additional oil.

Keep pumping, it's going to go down a bit more. No more OPEC stranglehold on the US.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

36835796-15168892033927186_origin.png

Saudi Arabia rasied production by a half a million barrells and 3/4 of million barrels of libyan oil retruned to the market. Demand is down do to winter and the world fears reduced demand due to tarriffs. Further more the anti walmart bill covering the end of 10b-18 could cause global crashes lwering demand further. Sell real estate, sell oil, buy metals.

Forum List

Back