wth would you NOT want a silencer for shtf?

May 21, 2015
that's just retarded. Why run the risk of scaring off ANY game, or having ANY enemies notice you from the noise? Why have any flash at night? why damage your ears or flinch/miss because of the blast? Why spend 50c per shot for 308 practice, when the silencer makes the 223 so tame that .22lr practice is relevant? Why pay $2500 for an M1A? Cause a FAL or HK AINT capable of outreaching a 16" barreled AR in 223.

When you choose the 308, you are choosing to not have a silencer, and that's stupid for shtf. If you chop a 308 auto's barrel enough to make it REASONABLY usable with a silencer on it, you'll lose so much velocity that it might as well take the .30AK rd. 16" of 308 and 10" of silencer do not add up to a handy rifle 12.3" of 223 AR and 7.5" of silencer DO still equal a handy rifle. By saving 40c per shot, .22lr practice vs 308 practice, you pay for the $200 .22 conversion unit in ONE range trip. You pay for the silencer $200 stamp, the day of your labor and $100 for the local machineshop in a couple of range trips, too.

Just as an FYI, they make suppressors for 30 caliber rifles.

And for a SHTF rifle, I want simpler, not more complex. Adding more mechanical items that require maintenance and have the possibility of failure is not something I think worth it.

You want a suppressor? Fine. You spend the money. For the $700 to $1,500 you spend on it, I can buy more guns and more ammo. I choose more guns and ammo.

And since you have to be fingerprinted when buying a suppressor, unless you create a trust, how can you buy one?

that's just retarded. Why run the risk of scaring off ANY game, or having ANY enemies notice you from the noise? Why have any flash at night? why damage your ears or flinch/miss because of the blast? Why spend 50c per shot for 308 practice, when the silencer makes the 223 so tame that .22lr practice is relevant? Why pay $2500 for an M1A? Cause a FAL or HK AINT capable of outreaching a 16" barreled AR in 223.

When you choose the 308, you are choosing to not have a silencer, and that's stupid for shtf. If you chop a 308 auto's barrel enough to make it REASONABLY usable with a silencer on it, you'll lose so much velocity that it might as well take the .30AK rd. 16" of 308 and 10" of silencer do not add up to a handy rifle 12.3" of 223 AR and 7.5" of silencer DO still equal a handy rifle. By saving 40c per shot, .22lr practice vs 308 practice, you pay for the $200 .22 conversion unit in ONE range trip. You pay for the silencer $200 stamp, the day of your labor and $100 for the local machineshop in a couple of range trips, too.

Oh, and I paid less than $1,300 for my M1A. And it is capable of out reaching an AR.

Several of my rifles are used for hunting. Having a suppressor on them makes this illegal (in most places). And since adding or removing a suppressor changes the point of impact of the bullet, it seems like a less than ideal situation.

I have firearms that will be great for SHTF situations. But I don't have any that are exclusively for that.

no, your M1A is NOT capable of outreaching an AR. That is proven every weekend at the 600 yd matches. :) and if you cut the barrel short enough to make it handy with a suppressor, you have LESS reach. a LOT less, due to the 308's 400 fps less velocity (than 223) in the first place. Because the 308 silencer, if it's as quiet as the 223 silencer, has to be 2" longer, and because the 308 barrel has to be 8" longer than the 223 (to get the same velocity) the TOTAL is a gun and can length that is too great. Nobody walks around with a 28"-barreled rifle, even tho they'd gain 500 fps over the velocity possible with a 18" barrel. So, no, you won't be putting a silencer on a shtf 308.

Unless you're inept (which is extremely likely, given what I've seen of your "abilities", you can do your part of the labor and get a very fine silencer made in your locak machineshop for $100. That's just 200 rds of 308 practice ammo. the $200 tax is the same, if you make the can or buy one.

I don't have to do anything but die, punk.

no, your M1A is NOT capable of outreaching an AR. That is proven every weekend at the 600 yd matches. :) and if you cut the barrel short enough to make it handy with a suppressor, you have LESS reach. a LOT less, due to the 308's 400 fps less velocity (than 223) in the first place. Because the 308 silencer, if it's as quiet as the 223 silencer, has to be 2" longer, and because the 308 barrel has to be 8" longer than the 223 (to get the same velocity) the TOTAL is a gun and can length that is too great. Nobody walks around with a 28"-barreled rifle, even tho they'd gain 500 fps over the velocity possible with a 18" barrel. So, no, you won't be putting a silencer on a shtf 308.

Unless you're inept (which is extremely likely, given what I've seen of your "abilities", you can do your part of the labor and get a very fine silencer made in your locak machineshop for $100. That's just 200 rds of 308 practice ammo. the $200 tax is the same, if you make the can or buy one.

LMAO!! Oh look, now he is an internet badass. "Punk"??

I don't need a suppressor. So the whole bit of nonsense about barrel length after adding a suppressor is worthless.

And the USMC uses the .308 in 1,000 yard matches. Care to try that with a .223?

As for my abilities, you have seen none of them. In fact, you have avoided actually discussing the topics.

As for your not having to do anything but die, owning a firearm suppressor without the tax stamp will send you back to prison. And part of the process is a more thorough background check. And this one cannot be avoided by buying from an individual, since they have to do the tax stamp as well.

So tell me again how you, with a felony record, are paying the $200 tax stamp.

Actually, yes it can. It does however cost more to do so. However, my HK G3 is better than any AR out there, and it is more accurate as well. Yes, it IS expensive. t, it's also worth it.

I would not want a "silencer" if SHTF because they do not silence rifles or pistols if the muzzle velocity is greater than 1150 fps nor do they stop the sound of bullet impact.

It might be noted that Army snipers in Vietnam did in fact use suppressors on their version of the M-14 with considerable success. And no, they didn't find a need to shorten the barrel

A distress signal is 3 shots fired rapidly. Doesn't work with silencer or archery equipment.
I might want an enemy to hear me shoot. Might scare him off without bloodshed.

I would not want a "silencer" if SHTF because they do not silence rifles or pistols if the muzzle velocity is greater than 1150 fps nor do they stop the sound of bullet impact.

It might be noted that Army snipers in Vietnam did in fact use suppressors on their version of the M-14 with considerable success. And no, they didn't find a need to shorten the barrel

A distress signal is 3 shots fired rapidly. Doesn't work with silencer or archery equipment.

I have suppressors for most of my shtf weapons. Firing signature is a big deal. If the "bad" guys can't hear me they won't come looking for me. I agree you don't need to chop the barrels off, and in fact doing so reduces the effectiveness of the ammunition by a considerable amount in some cases.

I have suppressors for most of my shtf weapons. Firing signature is a big deal. If the "bad" guys can't hear me they won't come looking for me. I agree you don't need to chop the barrels off, and in fact doing so reduces the effectiveness of the ammunition by a considerable amount in some cases.

Suppressors are highly over rated.
I can still hear you from a mile away unless you're shooting subsonic rounds.

True, the sonic crack is definitely a giveaway. However, you can only tell the path the bullet came in along, but NOT the direction. It's a 180 degree guess. Did it come from in front, or from the back?

True, the sonic crack is definitely a giveaway. However, you can only tell the path the bullet came in along, but NOT the direction. It's a 180 degree guess. Did it come from in front, or from the back?

If you've ever been shot at the direction is quite easy to tell no matter if a suppressor is used or not.

If you've ever been shot at the direction is quite easy to tell no matter if a suppressor is used or not.

Untrue. The sonic crack is omnidirectional. The firing signature is very important for determining point of origin of the shot, and yes, I have been shot at.

Not having much experience with silencers or having been shot at with a weapon equipped with one, I cannot address the directional nature of the sound.

But it would seem to me, in a post SHTF scenario, that hearing ANY gunfire would put you on high alert. Ok, you might not be able to tell which direction the sound came from, but you would certainly know someone armed was close.

Actually, yes it can. It does however cost more to do so. However, my HK G3 is better than any AR out there, and it is more accurate as well. Yes, it IS expensive. t, it's also worth it.
That.

Untrue. The sonic crack is omnidirectional. The firing signature is very important for determining point of origin of the shot, and yes, I have been shot at.

Even a suppressed rifle is still quite loud.

"However, you can only tell the path the bullet came in along, but NOT the direction."

This is contradictory. If you can tell the path the round took you can tell the direction.

Even a suppressed rifle is still quite loud.

"However, you can only tell the path the bullet came in along, but NOT the direction."

This is contradictory. If you can tell the path the round took you can tell the direction.

No, it's not. The bullet travels along a path, but the direction of travel is unknown. Assume you are facing north. When the bullet passes by you, you can't tell if it came from the north, or the south that's what the suppressor gives you. The elimination of the firing signature is very important.

Forum List

Back