Wtf

No it's not a joke. Now Obama wants to give the poor folks a phone. Just another way to keep the poor, poor.

A little more of an explanation would be appreciated, as I dont follow links that I dont recognize.

SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program that provides a free cell phone and airtime each month for income-eligible customers.

I would only be in favor of this for emergency use only (911)...and even that would be a stretch.

A little more of an explanation would be appreciated, as I dont follow links that I dont recognize.

SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program that provides a free cell phone and airtime each month for income-eligible customers.

I would only be in favor of this for emergency use only (911)...and even that would be a stretch.

if a cell phone has power, it will connect a 911 call whether or not the phone is subscribed to a wireless provider. many police depts and other organizations collect old cell phones to distribute to abuse victims and others.

Basic 911 rules require wireless service providers to:
transmit all 911 calls to a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP), regardless of whether the caller subscribes to the provider’s service or not.

If your wireless phone is not “initialized” (meaning you do not have a contract for service with a wireless service provider), and your emergency call gets disconnected, you must call the emergency operator back because the operator does not have your telephone number and cannot contact you.

Wireless 911 Services

if a cell phone has power, it will connect a 911 call whether or not the phone is subscribed to a wireless provider. many police depts and other organizations collect old cell phones to distribute to abuse victims and others.

transmit all 911 calls to a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP), regardless of whether the caller subscribes to the provider’s service or not.

If your wireless phone is not “initialized” (meaning you do not have a contract for service with a wireless service provider), and your emergency call gets disconnected, you must call the emergency operator back because the operator does not have your telephone number and cannot contact you.

Wireless 911 Services

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that, and also think it's a good policy.

Wireless 911 Services

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that, and also think it's a good policy.

it's a great policy, imo. when my kids were old enough to go places locally by themselves, like the playground, i gave them old cell phones so they could make emergency calls.

Nope. It's real. A lady I know got one because she's on food stamps and disability (she had a hip replaced, but gets around fine). She gave it to her 6th grade son so he would have a phone, since she already had a Boost $50/unlimited account.

Yep. It's real alright. I want one (even if it is a shitty phone and you only get 60 free minutes each mo). /sarcasm

Last edited:
Nope. It's real. A lady I know got one because she's on food stamps and disability (she had a hip replaced, but gets around fine). She gave it to her 6th grade son so he would have a phone, since she already had a Boost $50/unlimited account.

Yep. It's real alright. I want one (even if it is a shitty phone and you only get 60 free minutes each mo). /sarcasm

Perfect example of abuse. I'm sure you could qualify for one, being that your so fucking poor. Good thing your parents let you use their computer huh?

Perfect example of abuse. I'm sure you could qualify for one, being that your so fucking poor. Good thing your parents let you use their computer huh?

Whatever. :lol:

I think you missed the sarcasm in the post by JenyEliza, Lonestar.:lol:

Well I checked it out. I don't know if the Government is actually paying for anything. The program will give certain "qualifying" people a free phone and 68 minutes free air time a month.

Of course additional minutes are available for sale.

Nothing is truly free

This is no joke, it is an example of how off-track the attitudes in American have gone.

First, there is no doubt in my mind that there are folks who should have the phone service, but would find it an economic burden. As to what constitutes an emergency, well, that's a question for the individual.

But in my (Conservative) mind, the provision of the service should not be in the province of government, but should be left up to the good nature of the American people, as it once was.

And, I assure you, the people would provide.

Private sector or government bureaucracy? In 1887, Congress passed a bill appropriating money to Texas farmers who were suffering thorough a catastrophic drought. President Grover Cleveland’s veto included this response:

“And yet I feel obliged to withhold my approval of the plan as proposed by this bill, to indulge a benevolent and charitable sentiment through the appropriation of public funds for that purpose.

I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the general government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadfastly resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the government, the government should not support the people.

The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow citizens in misfortune. This has been repeatedly and quite lately demonstrated. Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character, while it prevents the indulgence among our people of that kindly sentiment and conduct which strengthens the bonds of a common brotherhood.”

Cleveland was correct: “So he challenged private citizens to come forward. And here’s perhaps the weirdest part: They responded. A number of newspapers adopted the relief campaign and in the end Americans donated not $10,000 but $100,000 to the afflicted farmers.”
MercatorNet. A voice for human dignity. Our focus is parenting and family issues, bioethics, religion, philosophy and entertainment.

I think you missed the sarcasm in the post by JenyEliza, Lonestar.:lol:

That's entirely possible, but was the story about the lady giving a phone to her grandson also sarcasm?

Forum List

Back