WTF?!

Rest of the year suspension and Mason Rudolph should have the option to press assault charges. It was pure luck that the helmet hit didn't fracture his skull.
I am not condoning what happened and any suspension and fines is good with me.
Having said that, Mason Rudolph (IMO) should have a fine levied on him.
While watching the game and the subsequent playbacks, I witnessed Rudolph
trying to pull the helmet off of Garrett's head. I believe that was the catalyst to the brawl.
Rudolph also kicked Garrett in the balls while they were on the ground

Rudolph's lawyer is already on the tweeter. This'll definitely be a legal affair. Normally this kind of news stays on espn. This is gonna be all over CNN, FOX, and all the other mainstream reporting networks, so the NFL is gonna need to act on it severely, otherwise they risk their image. Or what's left of it.

I don't even watch pro sports anymore. Baseball is about all I watch once in a while. Maybe golf, depending on the tournament. Most pro sports these days, the athletes are not very good role models for the chidrens.

Last edited:
Craziest thing I ever saw in nearly 50 years of watching football. I've seen players do thug moves like Suh and Sapp, but I never saw one player yank another player's helmet off and then use it as a club against that player. That can't be tolerated. I'd ban him. He should probably face assault charges.

I doubt assault charges could stick

Rudolph was charging after him after his helmet was pulled

Based on the dipshits prior actions, yeah, they would.

Have you always been this misinformed?
You live in a fantasy world

Sports fight, both sides fighting, nobody seriously injured, police will stay away

Premeditated assault with a deadly weapon. They may stay away thanks to a boatload of season tickets, but if it were a normal person they would be sitting in jail. I do find it amazing how progressives, like you, always find ways to rationalize violence if it suits your purposes.
You show you don’t know what you are talking about with your first word

Oh, chasing him down, clubbing him to the ground, then dragging him up while tearing his helmet off I think that qualifies as premeditation.

Multiple opportunities to stop. He chose not to.

And you demonstrate your idiocy again.

Sports fight, both sides fighting, nobody seriously injured, police will stay away

Premeditated assault with a deadly weapon. They may stay away thanks to a boatload of season tickets, but if it were a normal person they would be sitting in jail. I do find it amazing how progressives, like you, always find ways to rationalize violence if it suits your purposes.
You show you don’t know what you are talking about with your first word

Oh, chasing him down, clubbing him to the ground, then dragging him up while tearing his helmet off I think that qualifies as premeditation.

Multiple opportunities to stop. He chose not to.

And you demonstrate your idiocy again.

Premeditation denotes a plan you moron

Rudolph had the opportunity to stop once his helmet was torn off. He pursued Garrett into the end zone

Yes. A suspension for the rest of the year would be a fitting punishment. Let’s not go overboard
Agree.....First time offender and no injury resulted

Seemed out of character for Garrett who has usually been a good citizen
Ban him for the year and make it clear no other outbursts will be tolerated

pretty much. In this day and age the mob want everyone crucified for any infraction. That’s not to downplay what Miles Garrett did, because it was inexcusable, but you also must take into consideration that it was a heat of the moment play in frankly a violent sport. Had Garrett’s reckless actions caused a severe injury then we can consider a lifetime ban and maybe the law getting involved. Suspending him for the rest of the season is not a light sentence btw. These guys work extremely hard all off season and during the season to the degree where you can say they’ve earned a nice paycheck. Taking away half a season’s check is a harsh enough penalty

Yes. A suspension for the rest of the year would be a fitting punishment. Let’s not go overboard

pretty much. In this day and age the mob want everyone crucified for any infraction. That’s not to downplay what Miles Garrett did, because it was inexcusable, but you also must take into consideration that it was a heat of the moment play in frankly a violent sport. Had Garrett’s reckless actions caused a severe injury then we can consider a lifetime ban and maybe the law getting involved. Suspending him for the rest of the season is not a light sentence btw. These guys work extremely hard all off season and during the season to the degree where you can say they’ve earned a nice paycheck. Taking away half a season’s check is a harsh enough penalty
The guy lost it and could have seriously injured Rudolph
The punishment was just

I also think Rudolph should be suspended a game for his role in the altercation

The punishment was just

I disagree about the Mason Rudolph part. Garett started the whole thing with the late hit. You can blame Rudolph for reacting, especially considering the game was for all intensive purposes over at that point. I don’t think Rudolph deserves a suspension, maybe a small fine for reacting

Rest of the year suspension and Mason Rudolph should have the option to press assault charges. It was pure luck that the helmet hit didn't fracture his skull.

Lessee, late hit on the quarterback after the ball is long gone
roughing the passer knocking the QB to the ground after the play was completed
ripping the QB's helmet off his head for no good reason at all then cracking him over the skull with it assaulting him.

Ejection for the rest of the season. 1 million dollar fine.

And the really stupid thing is, the Browns had won the game with only 8 seconds left on the board!

The good news is that they play again in only 2 weeks and the Steelers now have the motivation to come back from whatever funk they were in tonight and stomp their asses with a vengeance.

It wasn't quite "no good reason" for yanking off Rudolph's helmet, from what I saw of the replay. It looked to me like Rudolph tried to yank off Garrett's helmet first, then Garrett decided to return the favor, only successfully. Hitting Rudolph in the head with the helmet, however, didn't seem to have any sort of justification. Garrett saw the line you shouldn't cross and he jumped right over it.

Rest of the year suspension, maybe some sort of NFL-driven community service. Hell, make him take anger management courses. An assault charge seems a bit much to me. :dunno:

Sorry, no. At that point, Garrett already had the QB on the ground on a late hit and Rudolph was only reaching up trying to defend himself while being manhandled further after the takedown and the closest thing to him was Garrett's head, so his hands made some incidental contact there. At no time did Rudolph grab Garrett's helmet or try to tug on it, he was on his back in a defenseless position like a rag doll and then Garrett pulled him back to his feet to yank his helmet off. Then used it as a weapon where he could have cracked Rudolph's skull open putting him in the hospital after just recovering from a concussion. I can't even believe that you'd try to justify Garrett's actions, there was no justification, no excuse, had Rudolph told Garrett his momma wore army boots and yanked Garrett's helmet off and danced on it, that does not justify trying to take a guy out, end his season, maybe end his career or life and Garrett's going to pay for it. Out for the season and more. Big fines, and a criminal assault lawsuit I bet.

That's simply not true. Rudolph absolutely, 100%, grabbed at and tried to take off Garrett's helmet. Here, look at about 1:45 of the video:

Rudolph is very clearly trying to get Garrett's helmet off, and nearly does so. It doesn't in any way excuse Garrett's action, it just explains to me why Garrett decided to yank off Rudolph's helmet in the first place.

I agree with a rest of the year suspension.

RUBBISH. That is simply your interpretation of Rudolph reaching out trying to fend Garrett off of him. A couple times he puts his hands on Garrets helmet as the only thing he could reach and every time he lets go immediately. Not once does he actually grab hold of it and try to pull it off, not that this justifies anything that Garrett did and shame on you for suggesting so as a defense!

The punishment was just

I disagree about the Mason Rudolph part. Garett started the whole thing with the late hit. You can blame Rudolph for reacting, especially considering the game was for all intensive purposes over at that point. I don’t think Rudolph deserves a suspension, maybe a small fine for reacting
You can blame Rudolph all you want, and hope he gets a small fine for be savagely attacked,, but that simply makes you an idiot. NO ONE out there is agreeing with that! Name the NFL rule he broke where it is a penalty for a QB to "react" to being hit late, dragged to the ground, held there once down, then have your helmet pulled off your head?

I am not condoning what happened and any suspension and fines is good with me.
Having said that, Mason Rudolph (IMO) should have a fine levied on him.
While watching the game and the subsequent playbacks, I witnessed Rudolph
trying to pull the helmet off of Garrett's head. I believe that was the catalyst to the brawl.

Then you better get your eyeballs checked! And while at it, your BRAIN too, for by the time Rudolph had "initiated a brawl", he had already been roughed as the passer, a very late hit long after the ball was already gone, then dragged and thrown to the ground, held there and fought with.

DO PLEASE show me the video where Rudolph has a firm hold on Garrett's helmet and his body is seen moving forward as a QB on his back half his size and weight is pulling hard trying to get his helmet off? You idiots forget that all this video is in very slow motion and everything you are seeing is happening in the blink of an eye in reality.

Last edited:
Suspended indefinitely means he'll likey be suspended without pay for a few games into next season as well.

Good.

Craziest thing I ever saw in nearly 50 years of watching football. I've seen players do thug moves like Suh and Sapp, but I never saw one player yank another player's helmet off and then use it as a club against that player. That can't be tolerated. I'd ban him. He should probably face assault charges.
Listening to the opinions of buttflinger is about as balanced as sticking your head in a chop saw. It has already been determined that ripping a helmet off someone's head and then intentionally swinging it as a lethal weapon hitting the person cracking him in the skull with it IS NOT A FOOTBALL MOVE. I believe Rudolph's attorney is already involved and criminal charges will be pressed as an assault. There is precedence for this. As Shannon Sharp has indicated, had the right part of the helmet (the top) hit Rudolph's head instead of the side, he very well might have gotten a busted skull.

The punishment was just

You can blame Rudolph all you want, and hope he gets a small fine for be savagely attacked,, but that simply makes you an idiot. NO ONE out there is agreeing with that! Name the NFL rule he broke where it is a penalty for a QB to "react" to being hit late, dragged to the ground, held there once down, then have your helmet pulled off your head?

I was saying that Rudolph was NOT the instigator. He did however participate in the skirmish, so I think a small fine may be appropriate

The punishment was just

I was saying that Rudolph was NOT the instigator. He did however participate in the skirmish, so I think a small fine may be appropriate

How could he NOT "participate" in the skirmish? He was being attacked and thrown to the ground and was trying to protect himself from a guy with already two or three fines this season for attacking people, including other QBs! The NFL has become a joke.

The punishment was just

How could he NOT "participate" in the skirmish? He was being attacked and thrown to the ground and was trying to protect himself from a guy with already two or three fines this season for attacking people, including other QBs! The NFL has become a joke.

he wasn’t trying to protect himself, he tried to retaliate. Big difference. Again, I don’t think what he did was worthy of suspension, but if you consider the league’s history in discipline retaliation has always been a no no.

The NFL is crazy. They admit that Garrett and the Browns bear the lion's share of the blame with two players involved and one suspended indefinitely then fine them EQUALLY both $250,000? On top of that intend to fine Rudolph for WHAT? Pouncey is rightly appealing his 3 game suspension and I hope he wins.

Pouncey tried to kick the asshole when he was down. That's not cool.

Forum List

Back