WTF Mitt? A public $10,000 bet?

I just don't think it's as big a deal as people would like it to be. Yes, it would've been better if he wagered, say, a share of his votes or something creative but whatever.

It's a very big deal. Would you want to have a beer or otherwise pal around with Mitt? He is about as remote from everyday American life as you can get and still live here. On a personal level he does not seem likable at all.

I just don't think it's as big a deal as people would like it to be. Yes, it would've been better if he wagered, say, a share of his votes or something creative but whatever.

Oh, sure - that would go over great with the people who vote for him.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Mitt Romney Offers Perry a $10K Bet - YouTube

What is Thurston Howell Thinking? That may be one of the stupidest, most idiotic political statements I have ever seen.

I bet a million all the time and don't have it, in fact, I don't have the 10 grand either, but when I am damn sure of myself and know for a fact what I say is true, I will bet 1 billion, 1 trillion, 1 k-zillion, you name it I will bet it. And so will you. :lol:

I think you miss the point.

It just reminds everyone that Romney is a rich guy trying to buy the nomination with money he made laying working folks off from their jobs.

Oh, yeah, and he was factually wrong. The early version of his book DID call ObamneyCare a model for the whole nation, until the new version blotted that one out.

His overall handing of the issue was "I promise not to inflict my awesome plan on the whole country. "

Overall, a bad night for the Mormon Robot. They'll have to take him back to Kolob for some rewiring...

Mitt has no clue what it's like to be middle class. He just alienated everyone out there who is living paycheck to paycheck with that nonsense.

Perry should have pointed out that he (Perry) is from rural west Texas, where they can't just throw around ten grand like it's nothing.

Damn, Mitt's an elitist prick.

Well, I'm not sure that would have been a winning strategy.

Yes, the comment does underscore that Romney is a guy who has never done manual labor in his life, who doesn't understand the struggles that working-class Americans- including most Republicans - go through.

But the wing of the GOP that watches It's a Wonderful Life and cheers for Mr. Potter would be horrified by that kind of populism. they went absolutely apeshit when Huckabee tried it four years ago.

Mitt Romney Offers Perry a $10K Bet - YouTube

What is Thurston Howell Thinking? That may be one of the stupidest, most idiotic political statements I have ever seen.
That "bet" is going to be a big part of the election cycle..throughout.
Mitt just messed up, yet again. Someone pointed out that $10,000. is a three month salary for folks in Iowa.

well how funny, you all don't have a problem supporting your MILLIONAIR Representatives in Congress and the millionaire PRESIDENT you all voted for.
Yet we are all suppose to fret over A BET?

crack me up

Oops

.whatmormonsbelieve.org/mormons_gambling.html]Gambling | What Mormons Believe:[/url]

What Mormons Believe: Accurate Information about Mormons

Gambling

Gambling is found everywhere in society; poker, horse and dog races, at the grocery store, slot machines, and even in the home. Gambling is a game of chance that takes without giving value in return. Gambling puts money or other things of value into a pool and then redistributes it on the basis of a roll of the dice, a spin of the wheel, or a drawing of a number. Nothing of value is produced in the process.'1

The Mormon Church has always opposed gambling in every form, including government-sponsored lotteries.

Mormon prophets and leaders have counseled the members over time, to avoid gambling of any type. Doing so, leads one away from righteousness and into the hands of Satan. The Mormon belief is that it is an addictive behavior and leads only to destructive habits and practices. It undermines the value of work and motivates one to think that they can get something for nothing. In time, the gambler will deny themselves, as well as their family the basic needs of life. They will oft times steal from others to finance their addiction, which in turn leads to stealing, robbery, etc.

Government-sponsored lotteries have intensified the gambling issue. The National Foundation on the Study and Treatment of Pathological Gambling says that, 'lotteries may serve to introduce gambling to those who otherwise would shun it. People who have never bet before, seeing a state-run lottery with the [imprint] of government upon it, might buy a ticket; buying the first lottery ticket might be compared to a future drug addict taking his first puff on a cigarette. It's a starting point.'2

And in 1985, then Governor of Florida Bob Graham, stated that, 'what the lottery says about success is the wrong message…' Catholic priest, Monsignor Joseph Dunne expressed his opinion in that, 'why should [children] get an education when with a little bit of luck they can win a bundle of money for life? That's what lotteries are doing to our youth.'3

Mormons do believe that they shouldn't participate or encourage others to gamble. When local and federal government legislations are considering passing laws dealing with gambling, Church leadership has encouraged members to put a voice in opposing such issues. Current Mormon Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley has urged the members of the Mormon Church to do the following: "We urge members of the Church to join with others with similar concerns in opposing the legalization and government sponsorship of lotteries."4

For more information on the Mormon Church or Gambling, please see the following websites:
Gambling
What do Mormons Believe

1 "Ensign", LDS magazine, "Gambling – Morally Wrong and Politically Unwise", Oaks, Jan 1987

2 "Christian Science Monitor", Custer, 1985

3 "Gambling and Lotteries", 1986

4 "Letter from the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints", 1986

You are the funniest poster of all, quoting religious sourses about a bet. Do you have a life, do you think there might be more important issues to talk about???
Romney is out of touch with the average person and didn’t think it was a big deal.

All politicians are out of touch with the average person. How do you think we got into this mess?

Forum List

Back