WTF is this? I can't vote Repub in Calif for POTUS?

Just got a notice in the mail that I HAVE to fill out in order to vote for POTUS. But...it only lists 3 choices: American Independent, Democratic, Libertarian. Thats it.
What some of it says:

To vote in the Presidential Primary for the Green, Peace and Freedom, or Republican Party, you must re-register to vote with one of those parties.

I heard somewhere that California was not even going to put Trump as a choice on the ballot. WTF? Since when are our votes not allowed for any certain party??? Is this legal?
/——/ I read keeping Trump off the ballot was struck down by the USSC, but the part about re-registering Republican is something new. I expect lawsuits in the making.

Republicans are not letting independents vote in their primary. If you want to vote in the Republican primary, you must register Republican. There are no lawsuits for being stupid, sorry.

Just got a notice in the mail that I HAVE to fill out in order to vote for POTUS. But...it only lists 3 choices: American Independent, Democratic, Libertarian. Thats it.
What some of it says:

To vote in the Presidential Primary for the Green, Peace and Freedom, or Republican Party, you must re-register to vote with one of those parties.

I heard somewhere that California was not even going to put Trump as a choice on the ballot. WTF? Since when are our votes not allowed for any certain party??? Is this legal?
/——/ I read keeping Trump off the ballot was struck down by the USSC, but the part about re-registering Republican is something new. I expect lawsuits in the making.

Republicans are not letting independents vote in their primary. If you want to vote in the Republican primary, you must register Republican. There are no lawsuits for being stupid, sorry.
/----/ I'm responding to this statement: "To vote in the Presidential Primary for the Green, Peace and Freedom, or Republican Party, you must re-register to vote with one of those parties." Nowhere does it say Republicans are making anyone do this.

What some of it says:

/----/ I'm responding to this statement: "To vote in the Presidential Primary for the Green, Peace and Freedom, or Republican Party, you must re-register to vote with one of those parties." Nowhere does it say Republicans are making anyone do this.

Yeah, the OP is an idiot, that has been established. It is up to the parties whether or not to allow unaffiliated voters to vote in their primary. Republicans always say no, always. Like Trump, they demand loyalty.

What some of it says:

Yeah, the OP is an idiot, that has been established. It is up to the parties whether or not to allow unaffiliated voters to vote in their primary. Republicans always say no, always. Like Trump, they demand loyalty.
/-----/ Republicans always say no, except when they don't.
Open primaries in the United States - Wikipedia
Alabama
Arkansas
Colorado
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Massachusetts (Primaries open for "unenrolled"/unaffiliated voters only)
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
New Hampshire
North Carolina (Primaries open for unaffiliated voters only)[14]
North Dakota
Ohio (semi-open) [15]
Oklahoma (Only Democratic primary is open to Independent voters as of November 2015) [16]
South Carolina
South Dakota (Only Democratic primary is open to Independent voters as of November 2018)
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
Wisconsin[17]

What some of it says:

/-----/ Republicans always say no, except when they don't.
Open primaries in the United States - Wikipedia
Alabama
Arkansas
Colorado
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Massachusetts (Primaries open for "unenrolled"/unaffiliated voters only)
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
New Hampshire
North Carolina (Primaries open for unaffiliated voters only)[14]
North Dakota
Ohio (semi-open) [15]
Oklahoma (Only Democratic primary is open to Independent voters as of November 2015) [16]
South Carolina
South Dakota (Only Democratic primary is open to Independent voters as of November 2018)
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
Wisconsin[17]

Sorry, we were speaking specifically of California and California is where I was referring to them not allowing unaffiliated voters. And your list even shows other states where Republicans do the same thing. Always Republicans...

What some of it says:

In MA, as an Independent I may pick one or the other in terms of primary voting but not both. Then again our state is better than CA.

In California, they have closed primaries. This means you can only vote in the primary for the party you have chosen to align with when you registered to vote. In the general election in November, you can vote for whomever you wish.

That someone who lives in the state doesn't know this makes me question whether or not they should be voting at all...

Actually, we have modified open primaries. Party affiliation only matters in Presidential primaries and it is up to the parties whether or not to let unaffiliated voters (independents) to vote in their primaries.

Thanks for the clarification. It's been a few years since I left the state and given any thought to their voting process.

What some of it says:

If Trump isn't on the ballot than California's electoral votes should be voided.

What some of it says:

It's not a big deal. Those letters weren't sent to everybody. They were only sent to people whose voting record indicates they voted for Trump. The preferred voters just keep doing what they have been doing.

How do they know who you voted for, dumbass?

That is against The Law.

And people want to trust these assholes with abolishing The Electoral College?

Did you contact The Republican Party?

View attachment 294687

What some of it says:

The Democrat Party is now just a bi-coastal party of the wealthy elite and big city slums. New York and California...though they are making progress in other states by bringing in immigrants and enfranchising felons.

What some of it says:

It's not a big deal. Those letters weren't sent to everybody. They were only sent to people whose voting record indicates they voted for Trump. The preferred voters just keep doing what they have been doing.

It was a JOKE. He was poking the dumb person who would believe him.

What some of it says:

Primaries are NOT federal elections and as such, they're run by the parties. What has happened is that three of these parties have banded together with a single registration option, and the other three have not.

Typical Republicans: Triggered by the "unfairness" of the process created by Republicans.

Well, y'all can double damn guarantee nobody will ever see a political question I am confused about from me again.

Look at who is required to re-register. They want to open the door for independent Trump challengers and close the door to alternatives to the DNC's criminal of choice.

What some of it says:

It was a JOKE. He was poking the dumb person who would believe him.

Stupid people like you should not joke because it impossible to tell if you are serious or not.

Look at who is required to re-register. They want to open the door for independent Trump challengers and close the door to alternatives to the DNC's criminal of choice.

Nobody is required to re-register. Three political parties (Republican, Green, Peace & Freedom) each decided that only registered party members can vote in their respective Presidential primary, as is their right to do so. If somebody who is registered as "No Party Preference" (such as myself currently) wishes to vote for one of their candidates, it is incumbent for me to re-register to voice my choice, and that is my responsibility.

If a NPP voter chooses to remain NPP, nothing changes. An NPP voter will either not have a vote for President in the primary, as has been in the case in the past, or they can choose the ballot of American Independent, Democratic, or Libertarian to vote for a Presidential candidate. There really isn't anything sinister about this. It's the way the parties chose to conduct their own interests for primary elections.

What some of it says:

Primaries are NOT federal elections and as such, they're run by the parties. What has happened is that three of these parties have banded together with a single registration option, and the other three have not.

Typical Republicans: Triggered by the "unfairness" of the process created by Republicans.

Hey, Canuck! The presidential elections are held by the 50 states and the the District of Columbia. The feds do not get involved until the electoral college votes are tallied. If you were a American, you should have known that. Since you are a Canadian dumbass, I'll give you a pass!

What some of it says:

Dumb ass, you want to blame someone, blame the Republicans for not allowing "independent" voters (No Party Preference) to vote in their primary. Re-register as a Republican.

www.registertovote.ca.gov
All a dumbass republican needs to do is learn how to read on their own.

Did you report this to The Republican Party?
What some of it says:

Does not really matter. California does not have any electricity to power the voting booths.
I know. Hell, POTUS is elected while we are still at the polls. Its the general principle of the thing that pisses me off. And I was registered to vote already. Now they want me to do it AGAIN? Fine. I did.

How about the CA AG office you fucking moron.

Forum List

Back