WTF, is that a Watch or the Crown Jewels?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I recently went shopping for a new watch online, and now I see all these ads for watches every time I go anywhere on the Internet.

Then today, I saw this

upload_2018-7-4_12-48-3.png

OMG, are those really watches?

Who in the name of Adam Smith spends $400k on a freaking watch?

If you're going to buy an expensive watch, make it a honey.

s-l225.jpg

Mechanical (Key-winding) Solid Gold Antique Pocket Watch

I love old watches and clocks. Gotta be mechanical wind. I have my grampa's, a railroad watch from the 1910's, not fancy--plain silver case but it still runs like a charm.

The only watches I have owned for the last 20 years are GPS watches so I know how many miles and how fast (or slow) I ran them. I don't understand why people buy "time only" watches whether it's for 20 dollars or a million dollars. There are clocks everywhere most notably your phone.

The only watches I have owned for the last 20 years are GPS watches so I know how many miles and how fast (or slow) I ran them. I don't understand why people buy "time only" watches whether it's for 20 dollars or a million dollars. There are clocks everywhere most notably your phone.
I haven't much use for a watch since I've become dependent on my cell phone. That being said, it would be really cool to have a watch phone to wear on the wrist. I might have less trouble keeping up with it that way.

I think for many people, a watch is more a piece of jewelry for adornment than for the purpose of keeping track of the time.

I got a nice watch for Christmas once. Wore it to work the next day, and the band broke the minute I started working. I still have it in my bedroom drawer, a few others, too. I can't wear watches, those must be for office workers.

I haven't much use for a watch since I've become dependent on my cell phone. That being said, it would be really cool to have a watch phone to wear on the wrist. I might have less trouble keeping up with it that way.
I looked at the watch phones but the technology isn't quite there I don't think. What would be cool is if they can make a watch phone with a light flexible screen that could be bigger.

I looked at the watch phones but the technology isn't quite there I don't think. What would be cool is if they can make a watch phone with a light flexible screen that could be bigger.
There are times when I need a large enough tablet to text or use the internet. So to me it is a matter of size. Guess I could get a phone strap like joggers wear.

It's all ARM technology and either Apple or Google OS. Not much is improving in the way of Computer processing, especially weak ARM stuff.

I doubt they even make "bugs" or listening devices anymore. Everyone carries one with them that is constantly on, wherever they go.

I got a nice watch for Christmas once. Wore it to work the next day, and the band broke the minute I started working. I still have it in my bedroom drawer, a few others, too. I can't wear watches, those must be for office workers.

Real men h ave to put the face of the watch to the inside of their wrist to protect the glass lens.

s-l225.jpg

I love old watches and clocks. Gotta be mechanical wind. I have my grampa's, a railroad watch from the 1910's, not fancy--plain silver case but it still runs like a charm.

You OK with automatic winding watches?

Vintage Seiko CHRONOMETER Seikomatic 39 Jewels Automatic Men's Watch,6246 9000 | eBay
Not so bad as a battery, I guess.

s-l225.jpg

You OK with automatic winding watches?

Vintage Seiko CHRONOMETER Seikomatic 39 Jewels Automatic Men's Watch,6246 9000 | eBay
Not so bad as a battery, I guess.
I have five autowinding watches, including an old Seiko, from 1965 same as the one my stepdad gave me.

Do you like this one, Jim? It's a 1951 Bulova automatic. Minty condition with two original bands. A 10k gold filled and the original saddle leather strap also in mint.

s-l500.jpg

I spend thousands on a single watch. lol.

What kind of watch are you looking for? You looking for vintage? New? Small, large, what?

I like self winding stainless steel watches that keep accurate time. Maybe a date thingy I can read.

I got a watch with an MRSP of around$1500 that I got at overstock for about $140, but I got it cause it fits my needs and curiosity about what makes it worth so much.

Do you like this one, Jim? It's a 1951 Bulova automatic. Minty condition with two original bands. A 10k gold filled and the original saddle leather strap also in mint.

s-l500.jpg

Yeah, that is nice.

I'd pay $200 for it, not a penny more, lol.

I have a 1965 Seiko for sentimental reasons. It needs cleaning.

Forum List

Back