WTF is he smoking!?

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Romney: Employees Should Know Political Implications of Their Votes - The Ballot 2012 (usnews.com)

Mitt Romney is hoping business owners will "make it very clear" to their employees what their political views are and how the November election results could impact their jobs.

At least that's what he told about 100,000 members of the National Federation of Independent Businesses during a Wednesday tele-townhall.

"I hope you make it very clear to your employees what you believe is in the best interest of your enterprise and therefore their job and their future in the upcoming elections," the Republican presidential nominee said. "And whether you agree with me or you agree with President Obama, or whatever your political view, I hope you pass those along to your employees."

Chuckling a bit, Romney added, "Nothing illegal about you talking to your employees about what you believe is best for the business, because I believe that will figure in to their election decision, their voting decision."

Friendly reminder (from the comments section);

42 US 1971(b): "No person, whether acting under color of law or otherwise, shall intimidate, threaten, coerce, or attempt to intimidate, threaten, or coerce any other person for the purpose of interfering with the right of such other person to vote or to vote as he may choose, or of causing such other person to vote for, or not to vote for, any candidate for the office of President, Vice President, presidential elector, Member of the Senate, or Member of the House of Representatives, Delegates or Commissioners from the Territories or possessions, at any general, special, or primary election held solely or in part for the purpose of selecting or electing any such candidate."

Romney: Employees Should Know Political Implications of Their Votes - The Ballot 2012 (usnews.com)

Mitt Romney is hoping business owners will "make it very clear" to their employees what their political views are and how the November election results could impact their jobs.

At least that's what he told about 100,000 members of the National Federation of Independent Businesses during a Wednesday tele-townhall.

"I hope you make it very clear to your employees what you believe is in the best interest of your enterprise and therefore their job and their future in the upcoming elections," the Republican presidential nominee said. "And whether you agree with me or you agree with President Obama, or whatever your political view, I hope you pass those along to your employees."

Chuckling a bit, Romney added, "Nothing illegal about you talking to your employees about what you believe is best for the business, because I believe that will figure in to their election decision, their voting decision."

42 US 1971(b): "No person, whether acting under color of law or otherwise, shall intimidate, threaten, coerce, or attempt to intimidate, threaten, or coerce any other person for the purpose of interfering with the right of such other person to vote or to vote as he may choose, or of causing such other person to vote for, or not to vote for, any candidate for the office of President, Vice President, presidential elector, Member of the Senate, or Member of the House of Representatives, Delegates or Commissioners from the Territories or possessions, at any general, special, or primary election held solely or in part for the purpose of selecting or electing any such candidate."

So telling someone what you believe is in their best interest work wise is now threatening them? Coercing them? The one that needs to check what they are smoking is you.

Using your logic the simple act of the President announcing he is best for the Country is intimidating Government employees.

• Banned
There is NO REASON for any boss or business owner to be "making it clear" to their employees how they should vote. None. It shouldn't be a cause for discussion, ever.

How can he NOT know that.

There is NO REASON for any boss or business owner to be "making it clear" to their employees how they should vote. None. It shouldn't be a cause for discussion, ever.

He told them to make it clear what is in their best interest job wise. No different then making an add or a statement in an add.

He did not tell them to tell anyone how to vote. Again using your logic the President can not state EVER under any circumstance that he is best for the Country in any form that involves the use of work economy or job conditions, because then, using your logic, he is threatening or coercing Federal employees.

He probably could have worded it better. But I doubt he was trying to tell employers to threaten their employees. Sounds like he wanted employers to tell their employees that a vote for Romney means better job security. He just worded it really shity.

Our votes determine our future. If I were an employer, I would be honest with my employees about how Obama's policies are going to have a negative effect and could threaten their job security.

The radical policies being created by EPA and Obamacare are job killers. People need to know that.

Our votes determine our future. If I were an employer, I would be honest with my employees about how Obama's policies are going to have a negative effect and could threaten their job security.

The radical policies being created by EPA and Obamacare are job killers. People need to know that.

That would be your Conservative perspective. What about the Liberal perspective? In other words, brainwashing and intimidation are okay for Conservatives but not for Liberals?

Last edited:
meh. I see it as discussing politics, you see it as coercion. But most employers would have to be at least half idiotic to support Romney (at least independent employers). Obama has created jobs, and Romney has destroyed.

Unions do that all the time. In fact, the unions went out this week and mailed everyone in Wisconsin a list of all their neighbors who didn't vote.

Since when? Do business owners give up their right to free speech when they hire people?

That would be your Conservative perspective. What about the Liberal perspective? In other words, brainwashing and intimidation are okay for Conservatives but not for Liberals?

Ever notice me complaining about unions telling their members to vote against Walker?

Didn't think so.

Campaign ads are telling us who to vote for. Celebrities are telling us who to vote for. Neighbors, friends and relatives are telling us who we should vote for. I am sure unions, organizations and maybe some employers suggest who members or employees should vote for. Big fucking deal. Unless someone is going to literally look over your shoulder and punish you if you pick the 'wrong' candidate, no one will successfully tell you who to vote for because we each decide that when we go to the polls.

The only instance I recall of someone forcing a person to vote for someone was when liberal workers assisted some senior citizens in a nursing home by helping them fill out absentee ballots. A lady put a check by Obama's name after the woman told her she wanted McCain. A fight broke out. The left acted like it was no big deal.

So, let everyone, employers or not, try and tell people how to vote. No one can make us do anything unless they are physically filling out the ballot for us.

I do find it helpful to know if an employer is going to have to lay people off once Obamacare and the new cap and trade policies from the EPA kick in. Not to mention the end of the Bush tax cuts.

Low income people will be paying more taxes because it going from 10% to 15%. It's insane. By all means, vote for more taxes and bigger government.

Last edited:
Campaign ads are telling us who to vote for. Celebrities are telling us who to vote for. Neighbors, friends and relatives are telling us who we should vote for. I am sure unions, organizations and maybe some employers suggest who members or employees should vote for. Big fucking deal. Unless someone is going to literally look over your shoulder and punish you if you pick the 'wrong' candidate, no one will successfully tell you who to vote for because we each decide that when we go to the polls.

The only instance I recall of someone forcing a person to vote for someone was when liberal workers assisted some senior citizens in a nursing home by helping them fill out absentee ballots. A lady put a check by Obama's name after the woman told her she wanted McCain. A fight broke out. The left acted like it was no big deal.

So, let everyone, employers or not, try and tell people how to vote. No one can make us do anything unless they are physically filling out the ballot for us.

I do find it helpful to know if an employer is going to have to lay people off once Obamacare and the new cap and trade policies from the EPA kick in. Not to mention the end of the Bush tax cuts.

Low income people will be paying more taxes because it going from 10% to 15%. It's insane. By all means, vote for more taxes and bigger government.

Do you have "credible" sources to substantiate your claims?

Misconceptions and Realities About Who Pays Taxes; Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Last edited:
Horsehockey Thread.

No coercion has taken place and it is no different than Obama telling people that if they vote in the GOP they are on their own.

Can you ever stop bleating ?

Lol..it's "coercion" to tell your employees why and how you are voting.

I guess that means it's "coercion" to tell school kids how and why they should use birth control.

Forum List

Back