WTF Is Going On In The A States?

snjmom

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
st louis mo
Arkansas Town Threatens Citizens' Constitutional Rights - First Amendment - Fox Nation

"I feel as though our city is being held hostage by the city council," said Gould Mayor Earnest Nash.

Gould, Arkansas is made up of about 850 people. 850 people the Mayor believes will soon have cause for 850 lawsuits.

"This is America and even though this is Gould, Arkansas, this is still part of America. And in America, you can't just vote and violate peoples constitutional rights," said Nash.

Monday night, the city council wrote an ordinance disbanding a citizen's group and forbidding any future groups from forming without city council approval.

The ordinance states, "No new organizations shall be allowed to exist within the city of Gould without approval from majority of the city council."

Another ordinance bans the mayor from meeting with anyone without council approval.

"To tell me that I can't travel and I can't go to meetings and I can't get the money that we need - that's ludicrous!" said the Mayor.

First Quartzsite, AZ, which has now put 8 of it's 10 police officers under house arrest for criticizing the police chief and now this? WTF is going on?

Corruption on the Federal level has been around long enough that now local politics is 'role modeling'. Just another variation of the 'trickle down' dynamic.
So simple, you missed that!

I disagree, local politics have always been more corrupt than the Feds. Not as much money at stake but always more violent. I don't understand how these so called "civic" leaders don't A. have any understanding of our laws and B. apparently didn't learn shit from the recent round of scandal.

I disagree, local politics have always been more corrupt than the Feds. Not as much money at stake but always more violent. I don't understand how these so called "civic" leaders don't A. have any understanding of our laws and B. apparently didn't learn shit from the recent round of scandal.

Valid point taken.
Explains totally how Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco totally dropped the ball and screwed over the people of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.

Valid point taken.
Explains totally how Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco totally dropped the ball and screwed over the people of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.

But not nearly as bad as Bush. Not only that, both Blanco and Nagin followed the protocols that were previously established for emergency. Brownie apperantly did not even know they existed. Not only that, Bush appointed that failed horse show manager to be the head of FEMA.

A very great contrast to the manner in which the ongoing disasters have been handled by the present administration.

Arkansas Town Threatens Citizens' Constitutional Rights - First Amendment - Fox Nation

"I feel as though our city is being held hostage by the city council," said Gould Mayor Earnest Nash.

Gould, Arkansas is made up of about 850 people. 850 people the Mayor believes will soon have cause for 850 lawsuits.

"This is America and even though this is Gould, Arkansas, this is still part of America. And in America, you can't just vote and violate peoples constitutional rights," said Nash.

Monday night, the city council wrote an ordinance disbanding a citizen's group and forbidding any future groups from forming without city council approval.

The ordinance states, "No new organizations shall be allowed to exist within the city of Gould without approval from majority of the city council."

Another ordinance bans the mayor from meeting with anyone without council approval.

"To tell me that I can't travel and I can't go to meetings and I can't get the money that we need - that's ludicrous!" said the Mayor.

First Quartzsite, AZ, which has now put 8 of it's 10 police officers under house arrest for criticizing the police chief and now this? WTF is going on?

It's that ol facist music mom. Retards think their was a return of the ol West sweeping America.

Valid point taken.

But not nearly as bad as Bush. Not only that, both Blanco and Nagin followed the protocols that were previously established for emergency. Brownie apperantly did not even know they existed. Not only that, Bush appointed that failed horse show manager to be the head of FEMA.

A very great contrast to the manner in which the ongoing disasters have been handled by the present administration.
in just a few days they pulled thousands of idiots that refused to leave and could not swim off of their hud houses.:cuckoo:

Here in Alaska we have a homeless man who has camped out on the sidewalk downtown next the to mayor's office in Anchorage. He says he is protesting against the mayor's recent crackdown on homeless camps. The mayor doesn't like him being here and has proposed a new law that makes it illegal for someone to sit or lay on the sidewalks or streets.

Some are up in arms about the homeless man's Constitutional rights. Some just want the bum off the sidewalk (there are businesses, stores and offices in the area).

Apparently he was just arrested. Turns out he is a sex offender who hadn't registered properly as is required by law. So now he's protesting in jail. Good riddance.

How do you define the difference between lawful protest and loitering and making a public nuisance? When people start acting like this man was, I feel like it is an abuse of our constitutional rights.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this in since the thread was about constitutional matters in the "A" states. : )

So much for the specious theory that local governments are less oppressive and arbitrary than central governments, eh?

How do you define the difference between lawful protest and loitering and making a public nuisance? When people start acting like this man was, I feel like it is an abuse of our constitutional rights.

Loitering is a specific offense addressed to a specific person, as opposed to the situation in Arkansas where the rights of an entire community are violated. Law-making entities are required to pass laws and like measures that are in good-faith Constitutional, which is why laws passes are presumed to be Constitutional until a court says otherwise.

The homeless man was in violation of a law or laws enacted by the city, which has a justified, compelling governmental interest; the law passed in the Arkansas city clearly not.
So much for the specious theory that local governments are less oppressive and arbitrary than central governments, eh?

Indeed. State and local governments are much more likely to violate citizens’ rights, as with the city in Arkansas.

If the people put up with it they are either completely ignorant of the political process or they deserve what they get.

I think it's about power. Power corrupts.

Not to mention Alaska, the Sarah Palin state!

No, no, NO!!! We ARE NOT the Sarah Palin state! We gave her to you guys in the Lower 48. Have fun. :razz:
Well, she is the non-awesome thing I've known to come out of Alaska. But is it ok if we send her back?

Alaska Customer Service
-Excuse me ma'am, I would like to return this
-No problem, will that be all sir?
-Can I speak to Minnesota's Customer Service?

Not to mention Alaska, the Sarah Palin state!

No, no, NO!!! We ARE NOT the Sarah Palin state! We gave her to you guys in the Lower 48. Have fun. :razz:
Well, she is the non-awesome thing I've known to come out of Alaska. But is it ok if we send her back?

Alaska Customer Service
-Excuse me ma'am, I would like to return this
-No problem, will that be all sir?
-Can I speak to Minnesota's Customer Service?

I don't think she wants to come back here. She's knows she's unpopular and we don't like quitters. We also sent her boy Joe Miller packing. He won the primary, bumping out Republican encumbent Lisa Murkowski, who then proceeded to whup his ass in a history-making WRITE-IN campaign!!! Joe was buddies with the Palins.

Forum List

Back