WTF Is A Jobless Recovery?????

Overtime was added into number of jobs falsely inflating the numbers the Obama Administration counted as jobs created or saved.
If I get overtime at my work AND I blow the money the money on an evening in a strip club, that extra XXX dollars is still circulating the economy.

IN a word, bullshit

We're confusing two separate things. Departing a recession is a return to increasing Gross Domestic Product. The almost as important making sure the "lower class" has jobs so we don't need to support them or protect our children from them, is something else.

IN a word, bullshit

We're confusing two separate things. Departing a recession is a return to increasing Gross Domestic Product. The almost as important making sure the "lower class" has jobs so we don't need to support them or protect our children from them, is something else.

There is no such thing as a jobless recovery. If people do not have jobs, they have no money to spend, save or invest, when that happens business can not grow.

We are a consumer driven economy, without consumers having money to buy stuff with there is no growth.

The major portions of the stimulus bill have done nothing but to stimulate government growth, that's why the talk of the second stimulus.

There is no such thing as a jobless recovery. If people do not have jobs, they have no money to spend, save or invest, when that happens business can not grow.

We are a consumer driven economy, without consumers having money to buy stuff with there is no growth.

The major portions of the stimulus bill have done nothing but to stimulate government growth, that's why the talk of the second stimulus.

Lets say in year 1 one in our own SMALL country there are 10 of us. 9 of us, all of us except for Peyton, have jobs each earning $10 a year. That makes our GDP $90. We use some of our $90 to keep Peyton from starving to death or having to steal from us.

In year 2 we have a recession. Two of them loose their jobs. Now that's 7 folks working for $70 a year. Still no one is starving thanks to that welfare.

In year 3 the invention of the wheel allows them 7 folks who are working to earn $12 a piece. The GDP is now $84.

In year 4 this greater efficiency brought on by the wheel allows citizen 8 to go to work also earning $12 a year. Now our GDP is greater than ever, $96!

But unemployment is still double what it was

Is it really great the 2 folks are unemployed? NO. It creates a lower social class. We're going to keep them from starving but at some point they need to get off their rumps and figure out something legal to do for money.

A jobless recovery is when the economy is growing but isn't growing fast enough to create enough jobs to lower the unemployment rate. The number of jobs create can be growing and the unemployment rate remain high because the population is constantly growing. If the number of jobs created does not outpace the growth in population, the rate of unemployment will remain high.

The economy is composed of more components than just jobs. Historically, jobs are the last measure to recover in a recession.
Other factors include interest rates, GDP, stock market, housing sales, manufacturing

Index forecasts slower growth in early 2010 - USATODAY.com

But of course, since jobs is the only factor that has not fully recovered, thats the only factor wingnuts are harping on

Lets say in year 1 one in our own SMALL country there are 10 of us. 9 of us, all of us except for Peyton, have jobs each earning $10 a year. That makes our GDP $90. We use some of our $90 to keep Peyton from starving to death or having to steal from us.

In year 2 we have a recession. Two of them loose their jobs. Now that's 7 folks working for $70 a year. Still no one is starving thanks to that welfare.

In year 3 the invention of the wheel allows them 7 folks who are working to earn $12 a piece. The GDP is now $84.

In year 4 this greater efficiency brought on by the wheel allows citizen 8 to go to work also earning $12 a year. Now our GDP is greater than ever, $96!

GDP means absolutely nothing

only Per Capita GDP means a damned thing. If Bill Gates moved to Uganda, the GDP would skyrocket- but all the ******* would still be just as poor as ever.

The financial markets trade overseas so when they recover, it doesn't necessarily translate in jobs.

Due to Republican deregulation, many of the jobs that were formerly American have moved overseas to drive up profits since those countries don't have to bother with things like health insurance or minimum wage. It's great for CEO's but not for everyone else.

Worse, Republicans feel that investing in education is a waste of money because institutions of education have been taken over by the "liberal elite" and a degree is only a "piece of paper".

The truth is that only through education can we hope to compete. I know of a machine shop that lost much of it's business making railway spikes. That business was moved to Mexico. They sent many of their machinists out for further training and upgraded their equipment to make high precision parts for everyone from the medical industry to NASA. They are still struggling, but are way more optimistic than they were.

That is what has to happen here. Education needs to be a priority. We have to smother the dissent of those who want to push idiot notions such as "magical creation" over science. Just that one notion has been incredibly destructive delegitimizing science for many of an entire generation.

I'm sorry, did you say "deregulation"?

The financial markets trade overseas so when they recover, it doesn't necessarily translate in jobs.

Due to Republican deregulation, many of the jobs that were formerly American have moved overseas to drive up profits since those countries don't have to bother with things like health insurance or minimum wage. It's great for CEO's but not for everyone else.

Worse, Republicans feel that investing in education is a waste of money because institutions of education have been taken over by the "liberal elite" and a degree is only a "piece of paper".

The truth is that only through education can we hope to compete. I know of a machine shop that lost much of it's business making railway spikes. That business was moved to Mexico. They sent many of their machinists out for further training and upgraded their equipment to make high precision parts for everyone from the medical industry to NASA. They are still struggling, but are way more optimistic than they were.

That is what has to happen here. Education needs to be a priority. We have to smother the dissent of those who want to push idiot notions such as "magical creation" over science. Just that one notion has been incredibly destructive delegitimizing science for many of an entire generation.

Look, Thelma, the "Voracious CO2 Glacier Eating Spaghetti Monster" is YOUR fiction, your fake science, your Piltdown Man, your peppered moth

Own it, live it, love it, the go find Phil "Louise" Jones and a cliff

Last edited:

Look, Thelma, the "Voracious CO2 Glacier Eating Spaghetti Monster" is YOUR fiction, your fake science, your Piltdown Man, your peppered moth

Own, live it, love it, the go find Phil "Louise" Jones and a cliff

ThreadDirection.jpg

link to jobless recovery under president bush's very small recession in 2001...the article is from 2003, and explains a great deal....

Basically, when productivity increases, jobs decrease....

Bush's Jobless Recovery

Bush’s Jobless Economic Recovery: Workers Pay Price for Productivity – Forward.com

Several differences you didn't pay attention to.

Bush's recovery period saw 8.2% increase in productivity. Also, the loss of jobs only amounted to 2 million in the time period of 2001-2003. Over 2 years.

Obama's increase in productivity was reported at 3.5% but was later re-adjusted to 2.9% and his job loss in only 6 months was over 6 million. This shows panic layoffs because of the uncertainty the Obama Administration presents. His initial anti-business programs are the cause of the fear that's in the economy. Nobody wants to take any chances because of the insane actions of the current administration.

The economy is on weaker ground then it was back in 2003 because of all of the facts I've presented. But even during stronger numbers the author of the article found plenty to find wrong with it. So I wouldn't start doing cartwheels if I were you.

link to jobless recovery under president bush's very small recession in 2001...the article is from 2003, and explains a great deal....

Bush's Jobless Recovery

Bush’s Jobless Economic Recovery: Workers Pay Price for Productivity – Forward.com

Bush's recovery period saw 8.2% increase in productivity. Also, the loss of jobs only amounted to 2 million in the time period of 2001-2003. Over 2 years.

Obama's increase in productivity was reported at 3.5% but was later re-adjusted to 2.9% and his job loss in only 6 months was over 6 million. This shows panic layoffs because of the uncertainty the Obama Administration presents. His initial anti-business programs are the cause of the fear that's in the economy. Nobody wants to take any chances because of the insane actions of the current administration.

The economy is on weaker ground then it was back in 2003 because of all of the facts I've presented. But even during stronger numbers the author of the article found plenty to find wrong with it. So I wouldn't start doing cartwheels if I were you.

do you really believe that the layoffs did not BEGIN with the bank and housing crisis and when president bush came before the country and told us we were in for real hell with MBS's and the bank bailouts were necessary, right that second, or we were all doomed?

i took cash out of the bank the next day, thinking his dire predictions were going to cause a bank run and the next great depression....

Bush's Jobless Recovery

do you really believe that the layoffs did not BEGIN with the bank and housing crisis and when president bush came before the country and told us we were in for real hell with MBS's and the bank bailouts were necessary, right that second, or we were all doomed?

i took cash out of the bank the next day, thinking his dire predictions were going to cause a bank run and the next great depression....

No they didnt actually. When the subprime loans blew up I figured this could be contained. When other derivatives started to go bad I figured the banking industry was in for a bad time. When Bush announced steps to shore up the banks so they would resume lending to each other, I was pretty sure we would be out of it soon.
When Bush extended TARP to cover the auto makers, despite a nay vote in Congress, I figured things were looking bad and it might take longer to recover.
When Obama proposed his "stimulus" that was supposed to keep the jobless rate under 8% I knew we were being had. And with each proposal to come out of teh WH and the leftist Congress I knew things were going to get worse and worse. And they have. I don't see real recovery until after the 11/2010 elections when the GOP regains enough seats to become a force in government again and block the rest of his stupid nonsense.

Bush's Jobless Recovery

When McCain and Obama won their respective party's nominations and it started looking like Obama was a shoe-in.....That's when a surge in layoffs began. And Obama lost over 6 million in the first several months of his presidency. It was only made worse when they started claiming that banks were about to fail.

Last edited:
☭proletarian☭;1805391 said:

GDP means absolutely nothing

only Per Capita GDP means a damned thing. If Bill Gates moved to Uganda, the GDP would skyrocket- but all the ******* would still be just as poor as ever.

Wait! In my example the Per Capita GDP increased as well!

I'll agree per capita GDP is a good statistic to chase. The Bill Gates moving to Somalia example was an indication of the potential flaw in it, but then no one stat is perfect. We're at a time of fairly slow population growth so the numbers probably aren't as skewered as in the past I'd imagine.

Forum List

Back