WTF? Iraq asks U.N. to let U.S.-led force remain

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Excuse me, we had to go into Iraq w/o UN resolution agreement, though not approval, based on previous resolutions. With that said, screw this!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/iraq_un_forces_dc

Iraq has asked the U.N. Security Council to let a U.S.-led multinational force remain in Iraq, acknowledging it was as yet unable to assure its own security.

The request came in a letter from Foreign Minister Hoshiyar Zebari circulated at the United Nations on Wednesday.

"As we stand now, our country continues to face an armed insurgency, which still includes foreign elements opposed to Iraq's transition to democratic rule," Zebari said in the letter to Danish Ambassador Ellen Loj, the Security Council president for May.

"Despite continuing efforts to build up our security forces, these forces cannot as yet assume full responsibility for maintaining our national security and defending our borders," he said in the letter, which was dated Tuesday.

A resolution adopted unanimously by the 15-nation council on June 8, 2004, set out a timetable for Iraq's transition to a democratically elected government, authorized the U.S.-led force, and called for a review of the force's mandate either at the request of the government or within 12 months -- whichever came earlier.

The resolution did not require any council vote -- only a review. Provided the government did not object, the mandate would remain in place until the political process had been completed.

A council review, in the form of a public meeting, is expected next week, after the council presidency shifts to France, diplomats said.

The force currently numbers about 160,000 troops, including 140,000 U.S. soldiers. A number of the participating countries have announced plans to pull out some or all of their forces in coming months.

archangel said:
United Nuts... :dunno: :hail: :link: :eek: :eek: :death: :banned:

The U.N.:

Uniformed Needledicks.

Uglyass Nerds.

Unctuous Nebaneezers.

Uber-all Nederhosen.

Nah, United Nuts is much better. Like the General of Bastone said to the German forces requesting his surrender... NUTS!

Comrade said:
The U.N.:

Uniformed Needledicks.

Uglyass Nerds.

Unctuous Nebaneezers.

Uber-all Nederhosen.

Nah, United Nuts is much better. Like the General of Bastone said to the German forces requesting his surrender... NUTS!

I'm impressed...you picked up on the "Nuts" comment...hoo rah! :salute:

actually, this looks like a very shrewd political manuever on Iraq's part. Getting the UNSC to acknowledge the new government of Iraq and to legitimize the US presence to the body of the council.

then again, maybe i'm reading too much in to this.

SmarterThanYou said:
actually, this looks like a very shrewd political manuever on Iraq's part. Getting the UNSC to acknowledge the new government of Iraq and to legitimize the US presence to the body of the council.

then again, maybe i'm reading too much in to this.

You never know, stranger things have happened. :laugh:

Forum List

Back