WTF? Im befuddled over this

Imnukingfutz

VIP Member
Apr 9, 2012
Kingdom of Nigh
Chinese wind farm group to sue Obama - FT.com

This part I get -
A Chinese-owned company that has been blocked from building wind farms near a US navy test site in Oregon plans to sue President Barack Obama, arguing that his order to stop the project was unconstitutional.
Ralls, a company owned by two Chinese executives, believes the president violated constitutional protections on property ownership and legal process.

This part I do not -
On Friday afternoon, Mr Obama issued an order compelling the company to sell within 90 days four wind farm sites in Oregon, and to clear all its equipment and structures off the sites within 14 days.
He also asserted the right to interview Ralls’ employees and advisers and to inspect its documents and computer records in the US, to ensure that the order had been carried out in full.

The President thinks he has the power to not only make anyone sell their property at his whim and without reason, but he believes he has the power to force interviews with employees and inspect their records and computers?

When did he become dictator Obama?

I know he has absolutely no care for the Constitution or its laws he swore to uphold, but to me this has gone too far.

The President thinks he has the power to not only make anyone sell their property at his whim and without reason, but he believes he has the power to force interviews with employees and inspect their records and computers?

I know he has absolutely no care for the Constitution or its laws he swore to uphold, but to me this has gone too far.

He does have the Constitutional power because Congress gave it to him decades ago. The law under which this action was taken has been on the books for many, many years and was last used by G.H.W. Bush to deny the Chinese ownership of an American company.

The issue isn't private property rights, but national security and this President, or ANY President, is tasked by Congress to prevent such as this on the recommendation of the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States. The Committee recommended the President deny that Chinese company the right to build their wind farm in such close proximity to a naval weapons development facility near Boardman, OR and he acted upon that recommendation.

There's nothing illegal or un-Constitutional about it and nothing which indicates he's become a "dictator." He's simply following the law and protecting our vital national interests.

He does have the Constitutional power because Congress gave it to him decades ago. The law under which this action was taken has been on the books for many, many years and was last used by G.H.W. Bush to deny the Chinese ownership of an American company.

The issue isn't private property rights, but national security and this President, or ANY President, is tasked by Congress to prevent such as this on the recommendation of the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States. The Committee recommended the President deny that Chinese company the right to build their wind farm in such close proximity to a naval weapons development facility near Boardman, OR and he acted upon that recommendation.

There's nothing illegal or un-Constitutional about it and nothing which indicates he's become a "dictator." He's simply following the law and protecting our vital national interests.

Awwwww...now look what you've gone and done!
You've wrecked his thread!

I understand the point where he can deny them the ability to build the wind farm, I dont like that our President has that power, but he does.
Also already understood is his ability to do so via Congressional approval.

What I do NOT get is how he is able to force them to sell the land, with NO reasoning given, especially within a specified timeline, That violates property ownership rights....and force them to turn over records and computers to the government for inspection ....that violates the 4th Amendment.....or how he is able to force employees for an interview. THATS where I have the issue. Thats where he is acting like a Dictator.

Last edited:
I understand the point where he can deny them the ability to build the wind farm, I dont like that our President has that power, but he does.

What I do NOT get is how he is able to force them to sell their land, especially within a specified timeline, That violates property ownership rights....and force them to turn over records and computers to the government for inspection ....that violates the 4th Amendment.....or how he is able to force employees for an interview. THATS where I have the issue. Thats where he is acting like a Dictator.

That too is within his legal powers. He's done nothing illegal, though that company certainly does have the right to challenge the law and his actions. In the end, the courts will determine whether or not he can do that.

What I do NOT get is how he is able to force them to sell their land, especially within a specified timeline, That violates property ownership rights....and force them to turn over records and computers to the government for inspection ....that violates the 4th Amendment.....or how he is able to force employees for an interview. THATS where I have the issue. Thats where he is acting like a Dictator.

That too is within his legal powers. He's done nothing illegal, though that company certainly does have the right to challenge the law and his actions. In the end, the courts will determine whether or not he can do that.

Maybe by telling them they - a foreign nationally owned company - cant build a wind farm there...I dont like it but it is what it is...OK

But to demand they sell their land and turn over all of their computers and documents & demand interviews from their employees...just by exec. order....I think not.

This part I get -
A Chinese-owned company that has been blocked from building wind farms near a US navy test site in Oregon plans to sue President Barack Obama, arguing that his order to stop the project was unconstitutional.
Ralls, a company owned by two Chinese executives, believes the president violated constitutional protections on property ownership and legal process.

This part I do not -
On Friday afternoon, Mr Obama issued an order compelling the company to sell within 90 days four wind farm sites in Oregon, and to clear all its equipment and structures off the sites within 14 days.
He also asserted the right to interview Ralls’ employees and advisers and to inspect its documents and computer records in the US, to ensure that the order had been carried out in full.

Well... I don't think so.

See... Chinese are a communist society/government. Meaning nobody really owns anything, it's just on loan from the government. So at any time the Chinese could just... Ok... I own that. The individual who built it, or was in the dealings with buying it... Whatever... Has no real rights... And if the US government doesn't want the Chinese government to own land in the US... I don't have problem with that. Nor do I have a problem with it the other way around.

Now if the land was sold to a Canadian, Australian, or any European individual who's country respects property laws to individuals... That makes sense to sue the government. A country doesn't own it... A person does.

have you heard of imminent domain laws?

do you think they are unconstitutional?

This kind of action by Obama proves its NICE to have a constitutional scholar as president

have you heard of imminent domain laws?

do you think they are unconstitutional?

first of all, its eminent domain, and second, the government has to have a compelling public use or improvement to public good planned for said land before it can compel a sale.

Not having our energy grid owned by a foriegn company to laud over us is pretty good reason huh?

This part I get -

This part I do not -

call me a tad surprised.....but not really....

remember how the Red Chinese raised their flag in our nation’s capitol near the White House....? Obama was helping to celebrate Red China's 60th anniversary of the Maoist revolution....:mad:

evidently Obama put the kibosh on this particular matter because...even though it was <gasp> a green windfarm....it would NOT do to have the Communists within restricted air space of a Naval Weapons Systems Training Facility....at least during election year.......:rolleyes:

There appears to contradicting stories out there, USA Today article said Maobama prevented them from buying the sites, while the FT article says they own them. Think I'll withhold futher comment until this shakes out a little more.

This part I get -

This part I do not -

See... Chinese are a communist society/government. Meaning nobody really owns anything, it's just on loan from the government. So at any time the Chinese could just... Ok... I own that. The individual who built it, or was in the dealings with buying it... Whatever... Has no real rights... And if the US government doesn't want the Chinese government to own land in the US... I don't have problem with that. Nor do I have a problem with it the other way around.

Now if the land was sold to a Canadian, Australian, or any European individual who's country respects property laws to individuals... That makes sense to sue the government. A country doesn't own it... A person does.

So you support this just because of who owns the land?
What difference does it make what nationality the people are who own anything?

Should the President sign an exec order forcing all Chinese restaurant owners sell their property and hand over their computers and documents?

Oh, by the way...the Chinese government owns a whole lot of land in this country...if your argument to defend the Presidents actions were thus dont you think it would apply across the board to all their property? It still doesnt give them the right to order them to sell their land, still doesnt give them the right to order the computers and documents be turned over to the government for inspection.

This part I get -

This part I do not -

In China people don't own anything. The government does.

Should the President sign an exec order forcing all Chinese restaurant owners sell their property and hand over their computers and documents?
That would be dependent on whither they were American citizens or not.

Oh, by the way...the Chinese government owns a whole lot of land in this country...if your argument to defend the Presidents actions were thus dont you think it would apply across the board to all their property?
It depends if you are an idiot or not. Water is bad for you if you drink too much of it.

It still doesnt give them the right to order them to sell their land, still doesnt give them the right to order the computers and documents be turned over to the government for inspection.
I disagree.

In China people don't own anything. The government does.

That would be dependent on whither they were American citizens or not.

Oh, by the way...the Chinese government owns a whole lot of land in this country...if your argument to defend the Presidents actions were thus dont you think it would apply across the board to all their property?
It depends if you are an idiot or not. Water is bad for you if you drink too much of it.

It still doesnt give them the right to order them to sell their land, still doesnt give them the right to order the computers and documents be turned over to the government for inspection.
I disagree.

What difference does it make if in China people dont own their land...this isn't China

It would depend on if they are citizens? WTF?

Apparently you dont seem to mind a dictatorship when it comes to rights...if you think the President has the right to order the computers and documents be turned over to the government for inspection....without warrant...that violates the 4th Amendment...apparently laws and rights have no meaning to you.

Forum List

Back