WTF! holes in cows to stomach for digestive research

There was a guy in the 18th or 19th century that had been shot in the stomach, and the flesh had healed all the way around it, but it left a hole directly to it. He was studied and experimented on by some doctor dude for the rest of his life (I think it was xotoxi), and thats when we learned a lot about how the human digestive system works.

William Beaumont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Experiments with St. Martin
From Beaumont's Experiments and Observations on the Gastric Juice and the Physiology of Digestion, 1833 (p. 27)

On June 6, 1822, an employee of the American Fur Company on Mackinac Island, named Alexis St. Martin, was accidentally shot in the stomach by a discharge of a musket loaded with a duck shot from close range that injured his ribs and his stomach. Dr. Beaumont treated his wound, but expected St. Martin to die from his injuries.[2][3] Despite this dire prediction, St. Martin survived - but with a hole, or fistula, in his stomach that never fully healed. Unable to continue work for the American Fur Company, he was hired as a handyman by Dr. Beaumont.

By August 1825, Beaumont had been relocated to Fort Niagara in New York, and Alexis St. Martin had come with him. Beaumont recognized that he had in St. Martin the unique opportunity to observe digestive processes. Dr. Beaumont began to perform experiments on digestion using the stomach of St. Martin. Most of the experiments were conducted by tying a piece of food to a string and inserting it through the hole into St. Martin's stomach. Every few hours, Beaumont would remove the food and observe how well it had been digested. Beaumont also extracted a sample of gastric acid from St. Martin's stomach for analysis.

uewb_02_img0074.jpg

xotoxi posing as William Beaumont.​

I don't mean to dminish from the disgusting side of this but we stick prods up these things asses by the thousands on a daily basis and devour them without guilt. The port is nothing but science that as far as I can tell does nothing harmful to the animal.

Forum List

Back